What should I get? Galaxy S5 or HTC One M8?

terrytek

Xperia Z2>M8>LG G2>Nexus>S5

Simple, really.

The fingerprint scanner is a cheap gimmic,

The M8 has a much nicer camera (lower MegaPixels, but they're ultrapixels.)

The camera is nifty on the M8

The speed is essentially the same.

The speakers on the M8 are AMAZING (they're even better than the M7 [Last HTC One] )

"The Amazing New HTC One (M8)" gets my vote. [That's the actual name of the phone, just saying.]

HTC One (M8) has a nicer camera? Not sure if serious.

Sponsored by Twitch and DxRacer.

M8, I'm not a huge fan of the design changes they've made to the hardware, but a ton better than the S5 is that field. Software is also a lot cleaner and probably the only OEM skin I'd ever use (I'm a Nexus guy!). That all said I needed to replace my M7 again because of quality control issues (my first unit was riddled with problems), so I opted for an iPhone 5s instead. I'm pretty happy with it and don't regret it one bit, but if I had stuck with Android, I would have waited and got the M8. Apparently HTC fixed the production process so we won't be seeing gaps and the construction, unleveled bezels and glass and, of-course, the pink camera.

M8 got my vote if that wasn't clear...

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5GHz          RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Black              Drives: 480GB SSD/1.3HDD

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H          Graphics Card: ASUS HD7970 Direct CUII     PSU: Corsair HX650M

Case: NZXT Phantom Black/Modded        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14                            Monitors: 2x Dell U2312HM

M8, I'm not a huge fan of the design changes they've made to the hardware, but a ton better than the S5 is that field. Software is also a lot cleaner and probably the only OEM skin I'd ever use (I'm a Nexus guy!). That all said I needed to replace my M7 again because of quality control issues (my first unit was riddled with problems), so I opted for an iPhone 5s instead. I'm pretty happy with it and don't regret it one bit, but if I had stuck with Android, I would have waited and got the M8. Apparently HTC fixed the production process so we won't be seeing gaps and the construction, unleveled bezels and glass and, of-course, the pink camera.

M8 got my vote if that wasn't clear...

How do you like the iPhone 5s? Allot of people hate Apple. Never used it before.

Sponsored by Twitch and DxRacer.

they don't compare to the oppo find 7

CPU: i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Maximus V Extreme | Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengance Red 1866Mhz | GPU:Nvidia Geforce GTX 780 SLI | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 2x1TB Seagate barracuda in RAID 1 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Case: HAF X Nvidia Edition | Mouse: Corsair M95 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 | LG Blu-Ray Player | 27" 2560x1440p Shimian, Acer 1920x1080p | AKG K550 Headphones | Behringer MS40 Speakers

HTC One (M8) has a nicer camera? Not sure if serious.

Very serious.

Numbers aren't everything.

Go watch Linus' half review of the M8 on NCIX channel, he talks about how nice the camera is.

The number of Megapixels isn't everything, that's what the M7 proved.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

How do you like the iPhone 5s? Allot of people hate Apple. Never used it before.

You'll find that a lot around PC forums. I think most people just hate Apple as a company, but there are also people who want everything to be completely open etc. and I can't blame em.

I actually really like the 5s, I hadn't used an iPhone since the 4. My main concern was the screen size, but in all honesty I'm enjoying the 4" form factor. Coming from 3 different 4.7" phones and not having the biggest of hands, I'm finding the 5s a fair bit easier to handle. There is room for maybe a 4.5" screen with no bezels, but I'm fine with this for now.

Hardware is rock solid. Build quality is lovely, nothing weird and nitpicky with it, screen is really nice looking (no it's not up to par with 1080p clarity, but colour accuracy and viewing angles are perfect), camera is a real treat (by far the best camera I've used on a phone), and TouchID is definitely not a gimmick, very useful. 

Software is fine for what I do. I don't play a huge ton of games, watch movies, use office software etc. basically the advantages that you get with Android phones, I don't make use of them. NFC etc. I don't use it. Basically all I use my phone for is basic phone use, email, social apps, a bit of web browsing, some news reading, some games, things like banking etc. music/podcasts and now more than ever, photos. It is quite a bit, but it's very basic stuff that I can do on either platform quite well. Where iOS stands out for me is the consistency of apps, in terms of stability, performance and design. It's all done consistently well, even in 3rd party apps. What I found with Android was that all of my apps looked and worked completely different from each other. Maybe you'd get the navigation drawer crop up in a few apps, but you'd hardly get any type of design guideline or consistency between apps. I love Holo, but I wish more devs would follow it closely.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I use my phone for average and very basic tasks, but I use it a lot. I could use either platform, but at the moment, the iPhone is a joy to use and suits my needs perfectly. I don't need customisability, custom ROMs, complete freedom etc. I don't have the time to mess with that stuff anymore, at least not with something I use everyday. I will be picking up a Nexus tablet this year just to play around with the latest versions of Android and custom ROMs, but I find the iPhone caters all my needs very well.

It's solid and consistent. If you ever get a chance to play around with one, do so, nothing to lose.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5GHz          RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Black              Drives: 480GB SSD/1.3HDD

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H          Graphics Card: ASUS HD7970 Direct CUII     PSU: Corsair HX650M

Case: NZXT Phantom Black/Modded        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14                            Monitors: 2x Dell U2312HM

Both are quite underwhelming. The M8 is very weak on paper, but better in reality. The galaxy s5 is one long sigh of "meh". I own the galaxy s2 and that was a real wow-factor upon release. This? Incremental upgrade that is certainly capable in its own right. But so booooring.

When these were announced I weighed their pros and cons against each other, ignored both and went and ordered an xperia z2. After having had hands-on opportunity with all three, I have not regretted it.

I bought it off-contract (duh, much cheaper) and have added the magnetic charger stand and their own case/stand-combo.

It has the better camera in practice than the other two. Less noise, more detail and better performance in different lighting conditions. It's not the best phone camera I've used, but it is the second best (behind Nokia 808).

It also borrows the stereo frontfacing speakers from the Nexus 10. Why it is not already an industry standard is beyond me. The z2 is also tied for most premium-feeling in your hand with the M8, but costs less.

Personally, I find the M8 less awful than the S5, but the Z2 is the least awful of them all. Don't worry about the battery on the M8. It's not as atrocious as the specc-sheet suggests, it's "decent, I guess.

(and yes, I'd rather point out shortcomings and failings than pointless praise. This is the real world, people should know what they're getting into if they're going to drop 6000 SEK or equivalent on a phone. Flaws are more important to know about that perks. I have never seen a perfect phone, but Nokia's windows phone are pretty good)

Both phones are coming out this month, and I need to know, which is better? I like Samsung's fingerprint scanner, something the HTC One doesn't have, but it does have dual flash and dual rear cameras. Both i believe have 16 MP cameras. Which should I get? Also, which one is cheaper?

It has dual 4mp cameras and in my opinion you should go for the s5,slightly larger display bigger battery, waterproof, 4k video recording. If you want a more premium feel phone then go for the m8 you can't go wrong with either one.

Very serious.

Numbers aren't everything.

Go watch Linus' half review of the M8 on NCIX channel, he talks about how nice the camera is.

The number of Megapixels isn't everything, that's what the M7 proved.

Linus is also known to be a fan of the HTC ones.

The cameras in both (the m8 is certainly a step in the right direction) are lacklustre. Both are still inferior to the galaxy s4 though. In actual usability. Gushing about ultrapixels or not, Megapixels are mostly irrelevant, yes. Mostly. With a bigger sensor, you get more pixels, though. Which is why it can be relevant.

Go actually compare it to an xperia Z2 or your choice of Nokiaphone, however. The picture will be noisier, less detailed and have a more varied performance in different lighting conditions. The phone apart from the camera is okay though. Hardly as impressive as all the youtubers try to make it seem. But then again, nothing is.

I just don't understand you all.. I also love M8 on outside, chipset, cpu and gpu are also very good but S5 have amoled (I love that it turns off pixels so it is true black), bigger display, less bezels, bigger battery, faster cpu, it's thinner, have IP67 and the most important camera! 4MP will never be better than 16MP because 2688х1520 is just too low for me (I like to zoom in pictures) also 4K recording -.- maybe 1080p on M8 looks better than 1080p on S5 but in no way it can look better than 4K. I AM NOT samsung fan I hoped for HTC to have 16 MP and 4K in that case I am 100% sure that I would buy it but now.. I don't know what should I do  :( 

If HTC M8 wouldn't have stereo speakers, 5MP on front camera, cleaner android and that beautiful metal design I wouldn't even look at it because that's really everything it is better on M8  <_< 

Now tell me something I don't know about these 2 phones and in which way M8 is soo much better than S5?

Linus is also known to be a fan of the HTC ones.

The cameras in both (the m8 is certainly a step in the right direction) are lacklustre. Both are still inferior to the galaxy s4 though. In actual usability. Gushing about ultrapixels or not, Megapixels are mostly irrelevant, yes. Mostly. With a bigger sensor, you get more pixels, though. Which is why it can be relevant.

Go actually compare it to an xperia Z2 or your choice of Nokiaphone, however. The picture will be noisier, less detailed and have a more varied performance in different lighting conditions. The phone apart from the camera is okay though. Hardly as impressive as all the youtubers try to make it seem. But then again, nothing is.

Cameras on phones will never be anything but a silly add on for quick snap shots.

If you want real pictures, you need a dedicated camera.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

-snip-

It's not true 4k recording (It's 1080p scaled), the 4mp IS better than the 16mp... The 16mp can't get almost any light in the pixels because theres so many.

Cameras on phones will never be anything but a silly add on for quick snap shots.

If you want real pictures, you need a dedicated camera.

And that I have. That does not change that quite a lot of people care about their phone's camera. The best camera is the one you have with you. I can't honestly say I pack my Rx10 with me when I go everywhere. Grocery shopping? Hardly. Do I see funny things that needs pictures taken, like misspelled signs and whatnot? Constantly.

And that I have. That does not change that quite a lot of people care about their phone's camera. The best camera is the one you have with you. I can't honestly say I pack my Rx10 with me when I go everywhere. Grocery shopping? Hardly. Do I see funny things that needs pictures taken, like misspelled signs and whatnot? Constantly.

Agreed. However, I don't think any phone camera honestly trumps any other. They're all just about the same.

It's not true 4k recording (It's 1080p scaled), the 4mp IS better than the 16mp... The 16mp can't get almost any light in the pixels because theres so many.

That doesn't even make sense. First of all, 4k is 4k. Really. A 4k video shot on the s5 scaled down to 1080p will look better than a native 1080p one.

A bigger sensor gives, among other things, more light passing through and more pixels. The s5's camera is better and more detailed. With less noise. Look at and compare actual photos between the three phones.

That doesn't even make sense. First of all, 4k is 4k. Really. A 4k video shot on the s5 scaled down to 1080p will look better than a native 1080p one.

A bigger sensor gives, among other things, more light passing through and more pixels. The s5's camera is better and more detailed. With less noise. Look at and compare actual photos between the three phones.

If your mind is set, then whatever.

4k is not 4k.

The camera takes 1080p, and scales it to fit in 4k. It's not actually a 4k camera... It's pretend.

Again, if you go look at the HTC One, and look at the news around its camera, you'll find all the information about why the 4mp camera is nicer.

Also, I have looked at the pictures. The M8 takes awesome pictures.

Also, no hard feelings :P

Some people prefer different phones, just giving my 2 cents.

<3

Also, no hard feelings :P

Some people prefer different phones, just giving my 2 cents.

<3

Obviously no hard feelings. This is a forum, it's for arguments (which is not the same as saying that name-calling is okay, as an aside). :)

But I've used and tried all three. The z2 is the 'best', the m8 is ahead of the m7 by a fair bit, but I honestly think that while their stance against the Megapixelrace is admirable and correct, it's poorly handled. The s5, while I'd never recommend it to anyone over the other two phones does, in my experience (which was just under 48 hours in fairness on both m8 and s5) is superior. We both agree that the camera doesn't need to be Dslr-quality, we both agree that there's more to the m8's camera than the specc-sheet. From personal use, I say that while the s5 has a lot of issues with its camera, software and cropping, it produces better pictures.

I made my choice, and of course I come across as defending it, it's natural, I made the choice on what I experienced to be the best. And there, neither the s5 or the m8 was up to par.

How do you know that is 1080p scaled? Ok I will take same picture with both phones and compare them side by side on my PC then I will see if 4MP is really more detailed than 16MP and I also must say that I mostly take pictures outside in strong daylight so I don't need more light. But if what you are saying is true (the 4mp IS better than the 16mp..) then M8 will take better pictures no matter of light.

I voted s5, because apparently my phone carrier doesn't realize htc exists and it is the only carrier that has really rock solid coverage in the county I live and work in. I have also had an s4 since last august and I have loved it, I know a lot of people that say they don't like the build quality of the galaxy phones but I have never broken one, I still have an  s2 that works fine aside from the battery needs to be replaced. 

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

Imo aluminum is waaaay betetr than plastic ;) (I got s3 and i fucking hate the cheap build quality)

I had bad experience with aluminum like the Asus Infinity TF700T :(

COMPUTER - Enermax Ostrog Gt | Asus M5A99FX R2.0 | AMD FX-8350 | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X 4GB | 2x 4GB G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz | Crucial M500 240GB | WD Blue 1TB

NAS - NZXT H440 | Asus H97 Plus | Intel Pentium G3258 | Stock Intel Fan | 2x 4GB G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz | MyDigitalSSD M.2 64GB | 4x 2TB WD Red

LAPTOP - Microsoft Surface Pro 3 | Intel i5 | 128GB SSD + 64GB MicroSD | 4GB Ram :)

Wow, the only person on this thread that thinks the M8 is ugly.

I also think it looks ugly. Uglier than M7 but not Galaxy S5.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Neither

Both are big disappointments. After reading Anand's review I think the Galaxy S 5 is the least disappointing though, but still pretty shitty.

Wait for something like the Oppo 7 and the One+ One instead. Hopefully they won't be as disappointing. Or better yet, wait for Snapdragon 805 devices.