What should I get? Galaxy S5 or HTC One M8?

terrytek

Wow, the M8 seems to be the obvious winner. What's wrong with the S5?

i dont like how bloated samsung makes android they load it up with all of their garbage. also samsung is turning into apple but for android they dont change much and make it seem like a big deal but thats just my opinion.

i dont like how bloated samsung makes android they load it up with all of their garbage. also samsung is turning into apple but for android they dont change much and make it seem like a big deal but thats just my opinion.

To me, HTC is the "Apple" of Android. Everyone goes on about how high "build quality" they have and often disregard that over everything else such as price and performance. Also, it feels like they are holding back features, and even going as far as removing things, so that they can introduce them again next year. microSD card is one example. Wouldn't be surprised if they introduce OIS next year.

To me, HTC is the "Apple" of Android. Everyone goes on about how high "build quality" they have and often disregard that over everything else such as price and performance. Also, it feels like they are holding back features, and even going as far as removing things, so that they can introduce them again next year. microSD card is one example. Wouldn't be surprised if they introduce OIS next year.

Ya I can see your point. This is why I got the lg g2 wanted something different.

No love for the Oppo Find 7?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

No love for the Oppo Find 7?

A few people have mentioned. Hopefully it will get more attention once it's out and reviews start coming in. It's hard to recommend a phone that we don't know much about.

A few people have mentioned. Hopefully it will get more attention once it's out and reviews start coming in. It's hard to recommend a phone that we don't know much about.

It looks to be a very balanced phone on all aspects.If I were to buy a phone this year it would be the Find 7 or the Z2. :D

But,you never know what problems it might have...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

It looks to be a very balanced phone on all aspects.If I were to buy a phone this year it would be the Find 7 or the Z2. :D

But,you never know what problems it might have...

If I were to buy a phone I would wait a bit longer. We should see a new generation of modems as well as the Snapdragon 805 be released in just a few months.

What I am really excited for though is the Snapdragon 810. It looks like it'll be a beast. It's pretty hard to justify spending like 800 dollars on a phone when the model released 1 year later will be so much better (like double or three times as good).

If I were to buy a phone I would wait a bit longer. We should see a new generation of modems as well as the Snapdragon 805 be released in just a few months.

What I am really excited for though is the Snapdragon 810. It looks like it'll be a beast. It's pretty hard to justify spending like 800 dollars on a phone when the model released 1 year later will be so much better (like double or three times as good).

I'm not gonna buy a phone too soon.My s3 is doing just fine.

Anyone have any clue when the LG G3 comes out. Should be a good phone considering the G2 was good, unless they F it up.

Sponsored by Twitch and DxRacer.

Both phones are coming out this month, and I need to know, which is better? I like Samsung's fingerprint scanner, something the HTC One doesn't have, but it does have dual flash and dual rear cameras. Both i believe have 16 MP cameras. Which should I get? Also, which one is cheaper?

Oh oh oh. Okay. One thing is that with fingerprint scanners people can move your hand while you sleep and scan your finger. Not sure about camera, but M8 is out sooner and ~$50USD cheaper

I'm trying to learn, please don't get frustrated with me.  I'll do my best. 

Oh oh oh. Okay. One thing is that with fingerprint scanners people can move your hand while you sleep and scan your finger. Not sure about camera, but M8 is out sooner and ~$50USD cheaper

HTC One M8 is out the now and Samsung galaxy S5 comes out 11th of April so half a day....

Sponsored by Twitch and DxRacer.

I wasn't keeping too much track on the S5 but my friend is getting the M8. 

I'm trying to learn, please don't get frustrated with me.  I'll do my best. 

HTC M8 would be great!

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

I bought the m8 and have no complaints at all. People have issues with the camera but I'm fine with it. It's more than enough for general pictures for instagram and so forth. If I want better pictures I have dslr available to me. For a quick picture it works well and the shutter I'd insanely fast.

TERRIBLE LOCK BUTTON, GLASS ON THE BACK (i think we all learned what happens to glass-backed phones from the iphone4/4s and the nexus 4. Also, not really sold in america on any carriers. u would have to buy it ulocked for 800-300$

The lock button is great.

Glass on the back is, again, great. I'm using a Nexus 4 now, and it's one of its best features. Battery however, is not.

Buying it unlocked? Another benefit. I would personally never, ever, ever buy a phone "on contract" or carrier-locked. Worst choice ever, both economically and flexibility.

Then again, my plan has unlimited data at 36 Mbps (actual speed, advertised 50) and it costs me a whooping equivalent of 7.69 USD.

Be more biased, please. :)

Also, as for the discussion in this thread about build quality, in my personal experience I find that Samsung usually have pretty OK build quality, often better than HTC. HTC use much "better" material though.

I wouldn't recommend the phone to anyone who'd ever want to root though.

The Find 7 is decent, but it has some features that make it very unappealing to me personally and no real redeeming factors to make up for it.

Anyone have any clue when the LG G3 comes out. Should be a good phone considering the G2 was good, unless they F it up.

Chances are 2H'14. I'd be surprised if it came earlier; the G2 is competetive and it'd make more sense to await even newer hardware.

They don't sell Exynos CPUed S5s in America. Only the Snapdragon 800 version.

order the international version or go onto the UK amazon

apple.com

The lock button is great.

Glass on the back is, again, great. I'm using a Nexus 4 now, and it's one of its best features. Battery however, is not.

Buying it unlocked? Another benefit. I would personally never, ever, ever buy a phone "on contract" or carrier-locked. Worst choice ever, both economically and flexibility.

Then again, my plan has unlimited data at 36 Mbps (actual speed, advertised 50) and it costs me a whooping equivalent of 7.69 USD.

Be more biased, please. :)

Also, as for the discussion in this thread about build quality, in my personal experience I find that Samsung usually have pretty OK build quality, often better than HTC. HTC use much "better" material though.

I wouldn't recommend the phone to anyone who'd ever want to root though.

The Find 7 is decent, but it has some features that make it very unappealing to me personally and no real redeeming factors to make up for it.

well I do like some unlocked but not all because they are international which means no 4G LTE in america. and thank you for saying that samsungs build quality is better than HTCs. all the android users think that the htc one is the best phone because of its metal body. Guess what iphone has had it and not everyone likes them. (yawn) iphone is boring along with its metal body

apple.com

If I were you, I'd wait.  Just simply wait until the phones have been on the market for man than a month or two each respectively.  The main reason is because a lot of the people who are making comments on which phone to buy has either formed their judgement based on reviews alone or fandom.

Every selling point of these handsets can be countered.

M8:

Front facing speakers-How often do you use your speakers?  I normally use earphones if I'm in public, and if I'm at work or at home I have a better screen available

S5:

Dust/water tight design - How long will this last if you're carrying it in your pocket and has to flex and bend with your daily use.  Or would a simple drop render it useless, the plug covers also seem like it would break within 8 months.

Both phones also also been doing weird things.  The M8 has been caught overclocking performance if it senses a benchmark program running.  The S5 belongs to a company that is trying to move away from Android, so its hard to say what will do with updates.

The M8 case seems amazing though,  

Its a play back and forth.  But overall I know for ME I would like to see a reviewer have both phones side by side and have them play movies, take calls, bluetooth, and other activities.  With both phones doing the exact same activities to see how the battery holds up.  When reviewers say "with a daily use I had" it doesn't really mean anything to me.  I don't know if the reviewer had to use their GPS more due to travel, if they had to constantly use the phone in talks with vendors.  It would also be great to see if the "battery saver" mode actually extended the batteries and to which extent.

If you still haven't decided, I would wait a bit, just a little bit. Especially if you're planning to buy M8, since there are rumours about an M8 Ace coming as well. It might be a bigger version of M8 but no one really knows, yet. 

Otherwise, if you can't wait, I'd say M8. iPhone has a better camera than both of those phones but if you're not taking a lot of pictures that probably doesn't matter to you. I don't know about S5 really, I was mostly disappointed by it. If you really want fingerprint unlock, it's up to you whether you want iPhone or S5. Fingerprint unlock is only useful if you're pin-locking your phone anyway.

Read this review: http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/12/htcs-new-one-is-a-beautiful-beast-a-speed-demon-but-its-camera-stinks-review/ and the news isn't great about its camera. They say it's crap.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D