I would like to know how coin mining is taxed in Canada. Is it taxed? Is it not taxed? I know in the US BTC is now considered property and therefore taxed but I don't know the Canadian laws even though I live and mine in Canada.

As of right now no, as most exchanges are based in the US (I trade with an amarican bank account)

I would like to know how coin mining is taxed in Canada. Is it taxed? Is it not taxed? I know in the US BTC is now considered property and therefore taxed but I don't know the Canadian laws even though I live and mine in Canada.

Supposed to be taxed, as any returns on investments would. However, no way of knowing cash flow amounts for now so if you don't declare your profits, you don't pay taxes on them.

Your choice. 

Spoiler

I just found this, it turns out it is taxed.

what ever man , just gonna do what i want

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

I just found this, it turns out it is taxed.

I'll be impressed if the government currently gives a shit.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

I'll be impressed if the government currently gives a shit.

Of course they care, but they won't even find out. C-SEC is nowhere near as advanced as the NSA.

I'm assuming if you cash it to your bank account, it's taxed (unavoidable, as there's a clear indication of income). If you keep the BTC in your wallet permanently, then nobody will know about it. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

It's supposed to be taxed. Just like if you sell something here you're suppose to pay taxes on whatever you sell. But honestly the government doesn't care, there's no way to prove anything. You're worrying too much about it. Mine, make some money and don't pay the taxes. You'll be fine.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

As many others have pointed out, it's supposed to be taxed. You're supposed to report it when you file your tax return as either additional income or as something like investments/property. If you sell the coins (LTC, BTC, etc), then you report the sale as income. If you're just holding on to the coins, then you're supposed to report that as property/investment (though I have no idea how they'd find out, since your personal wallet is fairly anonymous).

But the odds of them finding out are pretty slim. The only risk is if your tax return gets audited. If that happens, they'll go through your bank records and other things, and will potentially notice the additional income.

Unless you're dealing with extremely large amounts of money (I'm talking in the multi-thousands to tens-of-thousands), or your tax return is complicated enough that you risk raising red flags and causing an audit, then I just wouldn't worry about it.

The Conservatives don't need any more of our money. Can't wait for October 19th, 2015 ;)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)