General physics discussion thread

lucky74dog

Gravity is based off the shape of the "space-time" fabric? (According to Einstein.)

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Can anyone explain to me why an imaginary power in a circuit is meaningful?

This is coming from a mechanical engineering student, an electrical engineer may give you a different or better answer.

My understanding is that 'imaginary power" is usually referred to as reactive power, and is usually only a factor is AC circuits. Reactive power is usually caused by a high load on a supply with a sine wave (or any trigonometric based wave). Reactance is the opposition of a circuit element to a change of electric current or voltage.

Essentially what is happening is that the load is then out of phase by ~90 degrees from the supply. This might be demonstrated through a motor. 

Why it matters though is a hard answer. It might be better if you looked at RMS (root mean square) and apparent power. 

Also although reactive power could be present in a system, it cannot be converted into 'work', either by mechanical or thermal means.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Any budding mycologists around here? :P 

Cool thread too :) 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

what are you guys theory on time travel

whether it will be possible

how could we achieve

or just talking about cool stuff like how you dont age much

Hm, no I don't think it works like that...

Gravitational fields take on the shape of a sphere, in which directed line segments represent direction. Basic geometry tells us that the closer to the centre, the closer the lines. You will find that the closer you are to the centre of the earth, the stronger the field (as a result of the field lines being closer) same applies to electromagnetic fields etc.

372px-Gravitational_field_Earth_lines_eq

what are you guys theory on time travel

whether it will be possible

how could we achieve

or just talking about cool stuff like how you dont age much

As a fan of Doctor Who, I love time travel. No one knows for sure if traveling to the past is possible, but travelling to the future(faster than normal) has already been done. According to Einstein, the speed you travel in the traditional 3 dimensions is relative to the speed at which you travel in the 4th, time. So, objects at high velocities, such as astronauts on the ISS, move through time faster than everyone else, and going into the future(not by much though). What I think is more interesting about this is how it works with the speed of light. The speed of light is the fastest any object can move in our universe, so, photons of light don't move through time! All of the photons of light are the same age as they were at the begining of the universe! (I learned this in a really nice book I'm reading, "The Elegant Universe". It is mostly about string theory, but, it does give a really nice description of quantum physics, and general relativity. I'd suggest anyone to read it, it's awesome)

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

As a fan of Doctor Who, I love time travel. No one knows for sure if traveling to the past is possible, but travelling to the future(faster than normal) has already been done. According to Einstein, the speed you travel in the traditional 3 dimensions is relative to the speed at which you travel in the 4th, time. So, objects at high velocities, such as astronauts on the ISS, move through time faster than everyone else, and going into the future(not by much though). What I think is more interesting about this is how it works with the speed of light. The speed of light is the fastest any object can move in our universe, so, photons of light don't move through time! All of the photons of light are the same age as they were at the begining of the universe! (I learned this in a really nice book I'm reading, "The Elegant Universe". It is mostly about string theory, but, it does give a really nice description of quantum physics, and general relativity. I'd suggest anyone to read it, it's awesome)

Not sure that's all entirely true. Time is certainly not a dimension, and as for the photon's not moving through time, it's a result of the "higgs field" (But that's another discussion) It IS possible to travel faster than light, and there are a few ways of doing so. Travelling faster than light simply means to be ahead of your frame of reference, and so to "Observe" the future. One of my personal favourite methods is through "Negative energy", in which many strange things can happen;

Temperature Below Absolute

Negative Pressure

But the best example is light travelling faster than in a vacuum (Since vacuum's DO have energy, although miniscule, look up "Hawking Radiation")

Negative energy can theoretically be created by using the Casimir Mechanism (Again, Hawkings radiation comes into play here)

When dealing with electric fields, why is flux through the center of an object zero?

Does not having a second parenthesis around something bother anyone else as much as it does me? (Like if this statement was missing a second side)

Not sure that's all entirely true. Time is certainly not a dimension, and as for the photon's not moving through time, it's a result of the "higgs field" (But that's another discussion) It IS possible to travel faster than light, and there are a few ways of doing so. Travelling faster than light simply means to be ahead of your frame of reference, and so to "Observe" the future. One of my personal favourite methods is through "Negative energy", in which many strange things can happen;

Temperature Below Absolute

Negative Pressure

But the best example is light travelling faster than in a vacuum (Since vacuum's DO have energy, although miniscule, look up "Hawking Radiation")

Negative energy can theoretically be created by using the Casimir Mechanism (Again, Hawkings radiation comes into play here)

What I described was not the whole picture ,obviously, and I am pretty sure that time being a dimension was only created to help visualize what is happening.  I definitely take a look at those though. What if it was possible to go back in time (Now)? Lets discuss some of the paradoxes! Paradoxes are fun.

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

What I described was not the whole picture ,obviously, and I am pretty sure that time being a dimension was only created to help visualize what is happening.  I definitely take a look at those though. What if it was possible to go back in time (Now)? Lets discuss some of the paradoxes! Paradoxes are fun.

This thread is gonna call ALL the whovians of the LTT forum! As far a paradox? I got an example! You go back in time and kill your young self on accident. Now do you still exist? Or will the future self of you disappear for never being born but then you will have never existed to come back and kill your young self and thus your young self would have survived up to you? 

Let's discuss.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

What do you mean by that?

What is nothing

This is coming from a mechanical engineering student, an electrical engineer may give you a different or better answer.

My understanding is that 'imaginary power" is usually referred to as reactive power, and is usually only a factor is AC circuits. Reactive power is usually caused by a high load on a supply with a sine wave (or any trigonometric based wave). Reactance is the opposition of a circuit element to a change of electric current or voltage.

Essentially what is happening is that the load is then out of phase by ~90 degrees from the supply. This might be demonstrated through a motor. 

Why it matters though is a hard answer. It might be better if you looked at RMS (root mean square) and apparent power. 

Also although reactive power could be present in a system, it cannot be converted into 'work', either by mechanical or thermal means.

If I remember my circuits class correctly, imaginary power is a factor on AC circuits with loads that can store energy. 

One of the students asked the prof why imaginary power was meaningful, and the prof told us it was out of the scope of our course.

• 2 weeks later...

well gravity is almost constant throughout the earth surface horizontally and even at high peaks as mt everest.
teh gravity at poles is about 9.7968 m/s^2, which is max value of g. where as at the base of Mt. Everest it would be about 9.7705, which is just 0.0263 m/s^2 less. moreover at the top of Mt. Everest the value of g would be at 9.7569 m/s^2 which is about 0.04 m/s^2 less than the maximum value and just 0.0136 m/s^2 less than that at it's base. considering the differences we can say that these negligible values would not affect much however if your mass is not a great deal as weight=mass*g
So a person of about 100 kgs can experience some change in his wieght about a killogram less than his weight at the base of the mountain but yet it would be negligible for him(100-1=99).
i think this explains it yet if i missed something do let me know.