My First Custom Loop For New Build

So I'm planning my first custom loop and would like to get your oppinions.

I'm going for clear plexi & nickel look with black fittings and will use a blood red coolant.

System

• CPU: 3930K
  • Ram: 32 GB Corsair LP Vengeance 1600
  • Motherboard: Rampage IV Extreme
  • GPU1: Zotac GTX Titan
  • GPU2: Zotac GTX Titan
  • Case: Corsair 900D
  • PSU: Corsair AX860i

Draft

A00xwoF.jpg?1

Parts list

• CPU block: EK-Supremacy Clean CSQ Nickel
  • GPU blocks: EK-FC Titan Nickel
  • GPU backplates: EK-FC Titan Backplate
  • Rad: EK-CoolStream RAD XTX (480mm)
  • Res: EK-RES X3 400
  • Pump: Laing D5
  • Fittings: EK-CSQ Fitting 10/16mm - G1/4 black
  • Coolant: blood red

And now to my questions:

• Which tube diameter should I choose? (currently planning to go for 3/8" ones)
  • Is there an EK bridge (to connect both GPUs) compatible with the Titans and their waterblocks?
  • Is one 480mm radiator enough for 2x GPUs and 1x CPU or should I put another 360 or 240 in the bottom?
  • Any other improvements that could be done?

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5 GHz, GPUs: 2x GTX Titan, Mobo: Rampage V Extreme, Ram: 32GB Dominator 2800

Sound: Essence STX & SP 2500, SDDs: 2x 850 Pro 512GB, PSU: Corsair AX1200i, Case: Corsair 900D

Cooling: Full custom w/c loop (CPU, both GPUs), Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/14886-project-hermes-900d-titan-sli/

And now to my questions:

• Which tube diameter should I choose? (currently planning to go for 3/8" ones)
  • Is there an EK bridge (to connect both GPUs) compatible with the Titans and their waterblocks?
  • Is one 480mm radiator enough for 2x GPUs and 1x CPU or should I put another 360 or 240 in the bottom?
  • Any other improvements that could be done?

First of all thanks for doing a clear diagram of your loop, it helps a lot.

- Tube diameter; pick ID; 3/8 OD; 1/2

- Yes there is. Will I be able to tell you which one? No. They have about 20 bridges, you have to choose the best one for your purpose.

- If you can fit another 240 anywhere do it. If you need all of those hdd bays then don't. 480 is enough but the more you have the lower fan speeds you can run at with the same cooling performance. Nothing to lose. Past 6*120mm or 5*140mm its just about showing off. There are exceptions but yeah. 

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I agree with Ghost on getting a 2nd radiator. I have a similar setup with GTX Titan's in SLI with a 360 and 240 80mm thick radiators. With the graphic cards at full load when gaming, my CPU max temperature increases ~5-7 degrees higher than when the CPU would be at full load on Prime/OCCT. When the ambient temps are high, I have to turn up my fans when I am playing graphically intense games.

ITX Build: CPUIntel i7 6700K MoboAsus Maximus Impact VIII | MemoryCorsair Dominator Platinum 16gb GPU: EVGA GeForce 980 Ti Hybrid | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | StorageSamsung 850 Evo 1tb SSD, WD Red 4tb HDD EnclosurePhanteks Evolv ITX (white) | Cooling: Corsair H100i | Case Fans: Noctua Industrial PPC PWM NF-F12 and NF-A14 

ATX Build (in progress): CPUIntel i7 5960X MoboAsus Strix X99 | MemoryCorsair Dominator Platinum 32gb GPU: TBD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Storage: Samsung 950 M.2 512gb, Samsung 850 Pro 1tb SSD, WD Red 4tb HDD, WD Blue 750gb EnclosurePhanteks Evolv ATX Tempered Glass (graphite) | Cooling: Corsair H110i Case Fans: Noctua Industrial PPC PWM NF-A14

I only need one of the HDD bays for some SSDs, I'll add another 360 in the bottom then.

I definitly want to get positive pressure inside the case to prevent dust from coming in.

So I'll need to mount the fans on the bottom 360 as intakes.

As heat rises up, wouldn't that mean that all the hot air from the bottom rad goes into the case? Is this a problem or will the top 4x120s deal with it?

In my first draft I took the reservoir top as an inlet. Would it be better to use 2 on the bottom  as in & out? (regarding air bubbles, noise, performance)

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5 GHz, GPUs: 2x GTX Titan, Mobo: Rampage V Extreme, Ram: 32GB Dominator 2800

Sound: Essence STX & SP 2500, SDDs: 2x 850 Pro 512GB, PSU: Corsair AX1200i, Case: Corsair 900D

Cooling: Full custom w/c loop (CPU, both GPUs), Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/14886-project-hermes-900d-titan-sli/

First congratz on your new build and thanks for sharing. Now if you can add another rad as the guys already told you. I'll add that the fan at the back that is for intake should be as outtake, apart from that you should have a nice waterloop.

First congratz on your new build and thanks for sharing. Now if you can add another rad as the guys already told you. I'll add that the fan at the back that is for intake should be as outtake, apart from that you should have a nice waterloop.

So I should invert the 140mm in the back and use it as outlet?

I would end up with 6x intakes and 5x outlets - I fear it won't be enough to get possitive pressure in an 900D.

What I got from several reviews is that there are a lot of gaps in this case. To obtain possitive pressure I think I must have like 1 or 2 more intakes than outlets. (just my oppinion, can't test it until I get the case)

Yes positive pressure is what you want but also a good airflow, if you put the back fan as intake there might be a little bit of turbulence because of the front intake and the back, sorry if it is not clear enough I don't speak English very well.

Yes positive pressure is what you want but also a good airflow, if you put the back fan as intake there might be a little bit of turbulence because of the front intake and the back, sorry if it is not clear enough I don't speak English very well.

No problem, my english isn't any better (I'm from Austria) :)

You could be right with the turbulences - I think I'll have to test it as soon as the case arrives.

Out of curiosity, what do plan to do with this monster?  I mean, dual Titans and 64GB ram is just... a lot.  :D

Out of curiosity, what do plan to do with this monster?  I mean, dual Titans and 64GB ram is just... a lot.  :D

Oh, 64 GB was a typo - it's "only" 32 GB :) Got the 32 GB very cheap from a friend.

And the 2 Titans are needed to power 3x Benq XL2420T.

Had a single GTX 690 before, which was - in some games - allready capped due to 2 GB per GPU.

I could trade the 690 in for 1 Titan at my retailer, which was very kind of him.

Ok, I've changed routing a bit but I'm not completely satisfied...

I don't like the connection between CPU and the upper rad.

I would like to make shorter connections (without extending the connection between upper rad and res) Any suggestions?

YQftNQv.jpg

PS: Bottom radiator (360mm) has of course 3x 120mm fans mounted as intakes.

I was going to tell you before but I forgot. :/

Run the tube behind the rad until you get over the cpu, use loose zip ties to keep it in place.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I was going to tell you before but I forgot. :/

Run the tube behind the rad until you get over the cpu, use loose zip ties to keep it in place.

Ah ok, I thougth there'll be no place behind the rad.

Thanks for the tip!

Back to my other questions:

As heat rises up, wouldn't that mean that all the hot air from the bottom rad goes into the case? Is this a problem or will the top 4x120s deal with it?

In my first draft I took the reservoir top as an inlet. Would it be better to use 2 on the bottom  as in & out? (regarding air bubbles, noise, performance)

PEzNodt.jpg

Ah ok, I thougth there'll be no place behind the rad.

Thanks for the tip!

That case supports 140mm size fans no? That means you have at least 1cm. Plus the normal clearance, should be enough.

Don't take my word for it though.

PS: as you have the 900D you can run tubes behind the motherboard. It would look really good in your build.

TLL did it in this he 900D build: http://youtu.be/6b3EwprglnU?t=1h6m39s

PS: as you have the 900D you can run tubes behind the motherboard. It would look really good in your build.

TLL did it in this he 900D build: http://youtu.be/6b3EwprglnU?t=1h6m39s

As soon as the case arrives I'll try different things out - which will include running the tubes behind the motherboard tray.

The last diagram I posted is definitly a good basis to start from.

Sure you want to stay with that noisy 40 mm fan?

Sure you want to stay with that noisy 40 mm fan?

Which 40mm fan do you mean?

If you mean the 140 in the back, I'll change all the stock ones for AF140/120 quiet editions

Not the most quiet fans, but quiet enough.

No the Rampage IV extreme has a 40 mm fan on the chipset cooler, but there are fullcover waterblocks.

At the momentan I don't plan to replace the onboard cooler. I'll rather set it to a quiet mode or even turn it off.

It should be no problem as TTL stated in his review.

When I've got all my components together I'll assemble everything without w/c.

I then decide wether I'll w/c the chipset or not - but probably not.

FYI - you shouldn't have any problems with the 360 venting heat into the case. With the three front intakes, you will have lots of air movement and fresh air coming in. I would also switch the rear to an exhaust fan. Will help pull more air over your mobo. Dust - well. :) As for positive pressure, you should be ok. One thing you can do though, setup you loop and run prime95 with that rear fan either way - see if you notice a difference...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Why only a 360 in the bottom? it would fit a 480, and when you place the bottom rad like you did in the picture you will lose the lowest front intake fan.

Why only a 360 in the bottom? it would fit a 480, and when you place the bottom rad like you did in the picture you will lose the lowest front intake fan.

Excellent point.

My advise would be to put he 360 at the top and use the 480 in the bottom, you would save yourself an optical drive bay. :)

Thanks for all your suggestions, I really like them!

It's looking really nice and clean now.

My only dislike is the route of the tube going down from the top rad to the res... looks kinda wrong to me...

As soon as I get my hands on the case I'll have to look for a solution for that (maybe running it behind the motherboard tray).

When everything has arrived I'll definitly start a build log and keep you guys up to date! :)

Tk2o0hO.jpg

What you want to do is run the tube from the top rad all the way down the back to the lower compartment, then come up from the lower compartment into the bottom of the rad.

win-win

P.S.: I actually really want to see your build. Its going to be amazing!

P.S.: Use black card or black acrylic or better depending on how skilled and what tools you have to hide the pump and where the black tube come out from.

i would turn the top rad 180° would be a cleaner run from cpu to rad und back down you could just go behind the moterboard tray to the 2nd rad, than rad ->res->pump->gpu