new build unstable with random freezes and bsods, prime 95 fail

Go to solution Solved by Priller,

Manually set the ram timings and voltage.

Then set the voltage manually as well as the LLC set to high to start then try again.

It's possible the board is allowing the CPU Vcore to drop while under load. Also set the FSB to remain static at 200.

hey guys, i recently built a new system, and its been freezing and getting bsods randomly doing basic tasks such as web browsing.

specs:
fx6300
asrock 970 pro 3 r2
kingston hyper x blue 8gb kit (khx1600c9d3b1k2/8gx)
gigabyte r9 270
sandisk ultra plus 256gb ssd (os), 2x 500gb hdd, 1x 320gb hdd,
Antec Neo Eco 620C

the system has not been overclocked in any ways.
initially, i thought it might be windows update causing problems, so i reinstalled windows, but problem persisted.
i ran prime 95 in place large fft thinking that it could be a temperature issue, but the cpu never exceeded 60C on the stock cooler. (currently cooled by a thermolab baram at 40C load)
i then ran memtest which identified 2 errors during pass 3. this was when i realized that the ram wasn't running at kingstons advertised timings of 9-9-9-27, instead, it was running at 11-11-11-28. i manually adjusted the timing to 9-9-9-27-2t, and reran memtest. this time, i managed to pass 7 passes, at which point i exited memtest and booted into windows, only to find out that the system was having more frequent bsods and freezes.
i ran prime 95 again, this time with blend test, which immediately resulted in errors. i reverted the uefi back to default settings (ram back to 11-11-11-28) and reran prime 95 blend, which again resulted in errors.
ive tested both sticks have been tested individually and each of the slots are also tested with 7 passes of memtest, none of them resulted in any errors.
do you guys think that its my memory causing instability (failing blend test) or would passing memtest rule out ram as an issue? could it be cpu or mobo? is it normal for the system to pass 7 passes of memtest but fail p95 blend test immediately? could the looser timing be an issue? and any idea why the motherboard doesnt run the memory at the advertised timings by default?

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Happens to me aswell.....dont know why but my hardware which is pretty similar to yours has never passedthe blend test !

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

Reset your BIOS back to default settings, enable the RAM's XMP profile and test again with memtest.

As above ^^

Powerline spikes from noisy appliances, nearby lightning, etc, can mess up BIOS settings. Either reset the BIOS/setup/CMOS using the onboard jumper or enter the BIOS and "Load defaults"

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

Reset your BIOS back to default settings, enable the RAM's XMP profile and test again with memtest.

ive done that a few times before, even updated the uefi to the latest version, still no luck. it passes memtest, but fails blend test with prime 95 and have frequent but random bsods and freezes (mainly freezes). could it be my cpu that's messed up?

Manually set the ram timings and voltage.

Then set the voltage manually as well as the LLC set to high to start then try again.

It's possible the board is allowing the CPU Vcore to drop while under load. Also set the FSB to remain static at 200.

as advised, i set the fsb at 200. i also upped the cpu/nb voltage, problem seems to be gone for now, ill post back if the instability comes back. thanks