Revamped Steam Controler

TheRuke

Today Valve announced the release version of the controller will drop the screen in favor of a d-pad and standard controller buttons. 

http://kotaku.com/steam-controller-trades-its-touchscreen-for-functional-1502197079?

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

It looks cheap now. 

There's no way the final product is gonna look like that. As he says it's a mockup. It's nice to see that they keep developing the design.

Oh crap

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

It still looks like crap and id still rather just use an Xbox 360 controller.

Those touch screens never appealed to me any way.

Core - EVGA Classified 3 | i7 980x | 12GB Corsair Dominator GT | Lian Li P80 | Corsair 128 Neutron GTX | 2 x WD 500gb Velociraptor | Asus Xonar Xense | 2 x EVGA 590 | Enermax Platimax 1500

Water Cooling - Alphacool NexXxos 360 Monsta | TFC 360 | Alphacool D5 Vario | Alphacool 250 Tube res | EK Supreme HF Nickle Plexi | 2 x EK Nickle Plexi 590 WB | Aquaero 5 XT

It still looks like crap and id still rather just use an Xbox 360 controller.

Enjoy your gimpy dongle ^_^

That's my primary issue with the Xbox controller; they could have made it work wirelessly on the PC via something already accepted like blutooth, they just didn't. Pretty sure Linus said something similar a while ago lol.

I'd rather have analog sticks than emulated wasd

I'm not happy the touch screen is gone. As xrex said, it looks cheap. 4 square buttons look misplaced and made of cheap moulded plastic (think cheap gamepads you buy from Ebay that cost 5 bucks with free shipping straight from China)

I really think Valve shot themselves in the foot when they implemented this. It honestly cheapens the prospect of their "system."

Must be alot of patents on the tried and true analog designs already out there. 

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

Starting to look more and more like PS4/Xbox controllers.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K · MoBo: Asus Maximus Hero IX · RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB 2400MHz CL10) · GPU: EVGA SC+ GTX 980Ti (6 GB)
Case: Fractal Define R5, Black, Windowed · AMC: Corsair H90 with NF-A14 PWM (Pull)  · PSU Corsair HX 750W · SSD: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO
HDDs: WD Black 2TB and 2x Red 5TB · OS: Windows 10 · KB: Logitech 710+ · Mouse: Logitech G700S 
· Monitor: Acer XB270HU

I think they really should have got the whole Steam OS/Steam Machine idea off the ground before they went ahead with a controller. Unless they can really wow people with it right away I think it will fail.

So did that really need to be a video?

That's my primary issue with the Xbox controller; they could have made it work wirelessly on the PC via something already accepted like blutooth, they just didn't. Pretty sure Linus said something similar a while ago lol.

I just plug mine in... heck if you have a old enough controller and play and charge kit you instantly have a wired pc controller as well.

So did that really need to be a video?

Yes.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

please explain.

Why the fu*k can't it be a video?

I just plug mine in... heck if you have a old enough controller and play and charge kit you instantly have a wired pc controller as well.

The way I see it though, controllers are for when you wanna kick back on a couch or something, and a wire isn't really conducive in that scenario which is why Microsoft made the controllers wireless in the first place. I know you can use them over a wire I just thing it's stupid when they have wireless capabilities. I want to get a controller to work with my surface pro 2, but it won't be an xbox controller because I either have to have a dongle that's nearly as big as the device (and with a ludicrously long cable), or have a (totally unnecessary) cable going to it that just creates a hazard that it'll get pulled off whatever its sat on, and makes it harder to carry around.

Whether the Steam controller is any better as a controller, I can't say because I haven't used it, but if it uses Bluetooth it'll at least have something going for it.

I hate wireless stuff. Ive got a wired one, Its lighter, easier to fix/troubleshoot and never runs out of battery.

Edit:

Its also way more comfortable due to the lack of a battery pack.