Lenovo Thinkpad E580 vs L580

Rudy_258

Hi guys, 

I'm looking at an E580 and an L580, they're both running the i7-8550u with 16GB RAM. The main difference is that the E580 comes with a Radeon RX 550, where as the L580 comes with only onboard graphics. 
The E580 can support a hybrid SSHDD configuration, where as the L580 supports only an SSD. The rest of the specs are extremely similar, other than the L580 has an NFC reader.

The L580 costs about 150 - 200 Euro more than an E580 with the same specs, and a dedicated GPU, although minimalistic. 

What are the major difference? Why the price difference? 

Does anyone have any experience with either of those two and can tell me about them more??

Thank you!

L series>E series in terms of quality

RX550 in E580 is useless since it's throttled to Intel iGPU level due to insufficient cooling

3 hours ago, Rudy_258 said:

i7-8550u

Get the i5-8250U. No real benefit by going i7-8550U

3 hours ago, Rudy_258 said:

The E580 can support a hybrid SSHDD configuration, where as the L580 supports only an SSD

You can always upgrade later on

Only limited to these 2 models? There might be better options

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

10 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

L series>E series in terms of quality

RX550 in E580 is useless since it's throttled to Intel iGPU level due to insufficient cooling

Get the i5-8250U. No real benefit by going i7-8550U

You can always upgrade later on

Only limited to these 2 models? There might be better options

I could potentially go outside my budget and get a T580 for about 1500 Euro. I could apply for a 12 month 0% interest plan, and provided it was approved, I could go for the T580. It comes with an i5-8250u, 16GB of RAM, 512 GB SSD.

I could get the X1 Carbon for about the same price, but that's only a 14" model and has no numpad unfortunately, which is a killer for me. 

Is business laptop a must for you? Any particular reason of choosing them?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

8 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Is business laptop a must for you? Any particular reason of choosing them?

Not necessarily a business laptop, but I am looking for something powerful with a decent battery life, Thinkpads seems to fit the description. 

As I mentioned in my other post (https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/999968-looking-for-156-laptop-16gb-ram-budget-upto-1400-euro/?tab=comments#comment-12008015)

I am a very heavy multi-tasker and tend to use a lot of RAM, so 16GB is a must, and having been using to having a powerful gaming laptop for the past 6 years, it would be difficult for me to use a laptop that's slightly on the slower side, therefore a good CPU and an SSD are also very important. 

Other than that, every now after the day's uni/work, my routine is to sit in bed and watch Youtube or Netflix. I haven't been doing much gaming lately, but for that I do have a decent desktop, so I won't be doing any gaming on the laptop, it is mainly for uni purposes. 

I am very open to any suggestions you may have. The only thing with Lenovo's is that they have a partnership with Uni's here in Germany and you can get really good deals, like 2000 Euro Laptops for 1400 Euro and such. 

Preferred max weight in kg/lbs and min battery life in hours? Any other special requirements?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Preferred max weight in kg/lbs and min battery life in hours? Any other special requirements?

Up to 2.5 KG at most

battery life of at least 5 hours (actual, not advertised)

Numpad and Keyboard lighting

Something that would last me the next 3 - 5 years

16GB RAM

Decently powerful CPU

512GB SSD or a hybrid HDD and SSD mix

Good Screen and audio quality would be welcome (I know you can't have everything unless you're willing to pay ALOT of money)

Edited by Rudy_258

9 minutes ago, Rudy_258 said:

snip

Wait...so you're posting here too

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/999968-looking-for-156-laptop-16gb-ram-budget-upto-1400-euro/

I'll reply in the other thread, but let me sleep first (it's 12.43 AM here)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Just now, GeneXiS_X said:

Yes, I thought you knew that. 

I posted this thread only to know the difference between the E580 and L580.

We could simply continue the discussion on the other thread.