First time building experience

The Great Kamek

So what was your first experience when building your own or someone's PC? Did you thoroughly enjoy it?

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350 PC Mate
  • RAM
    Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2x8)
  • GPU
    ASUS Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
  • Case
    Phanteks Eclipse P400
  • Storage
    WD 1TB 7200RPM, WD Blue 500GB SSD
  • PSU
    CORSAIR CX Series CX650 650W
  • Display(s)
    Dell SE2717HR 27" 75HZ
  • Cooling
    AMD Wrath Spire
  • Keyboard
    Rosewill Neon k85
  • Mouse
    Rosewill Neon m59
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro

Well it wasn't really building as such, more just fixing a PC. But yeah, it was fun. 

I don’t quite recall but I enjoy building PCs. If someone buys a computer, I’d enjoy putting it together. 

I got a prebuilt back in 2009 so I had some experience maintaining that. When my PC died I used it as a practice rig while waiting for my parts to arrive for my new PC that I was building myself.

My first build was wholly stressful, so much money that could be wasted at a time when I had so little money.

When it finally got to the bios I still had issues with my 8+ year old SSDs and HDDs. Finally I got them working. Now I have refreshed all my hardware to SATA3 all is well again.

Only sum it up as stressful, als intel push pins are the devil! Not primed out the box and even with good instructions I still struggled as I have been used to back plates.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Upgrading GPU (then HDD and even later mobo+CPU) back in 2006. Learning experience. I actually think I started to like building when I moved to more spacious case (NZXT Hades from CM Centurio 5) in 2011. At the same time when I starting watching LTT videos.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I built my first PC in a very strange case: the DeepCool Steam Castle. And it confused me a lot! First, the layout was odd with the Motherboard being horizontal. Second, there’s this weird SATA cable that controls the top lights and it confused the heck out of me. Third, everything is kinda crammed with the horizontal layout (and the case is unexpectedly large). But I built it in like 5 hours. It would have taken me half as much time in a typical computer case. 

My advice: if you’re building your first PC get a typical case that’s easy to build in with lots of space. You don’t need to be frustrated. Something like an NZXT H500 would be ideal. 

EDIT: Unless you want the inside of your case to be littered with useless molex pins and unused SATA cables, please spend the extra $10~$20 on a semi-modular power supply over a non-modular power supply. 

I started by upgrading my 1999 Dell XPS 700 with more RAM and a new GPU. I remember being afraid that i would break the RAM trying to install it.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:17 PM, masked_guy said:

So what was your first experience when building your own or someone's PC? Did you thoroughly enjoy it?

Well.... I don't know if this will count since I didn't actually build it from scratch, I purchased an old Compaq 8200 elite SFF, bought 4GB of RAM for it, tossed in an 8 year old Terabyte HDD, a Wi-Fi card, (then discovered it was an HMW card, and thereby needed a PCIE adapter), the PCIE adapter, a GTX 1050 LP, and Win 10. As this was my first PC, and I had only worked on PCs that had things like Pentium Ds, Pentium 4s, and other ancient processors, I spent way more time than I am willing to admit working on it. Did I enjoy it? It was a roller coaster, as in it had it ups and it's downs. Was it worth it? Totally.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!