How hot SHOULD a 8700K be?

Mildly concerned as I'm upgrading from a 7600K to a (hopefully) 8700K, but not the cooling system due to size constraints. Will a 8700K overheat under an H75?

I'm running it stock right now, and it's idling in the 60s, with a 4.9Ghz OC it's running at 70C idle.

The compound I'm using is kryonaut, so that shouldn't be the issue. Is this merely a limitation of my cooler or stock paste or both?

The 7600K at 5Ghz runs ~40C idle and mid 70s under load, delidded, so I have no idea what's going on but hopefully a delid will help.

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

Single rad won't really cut it for a great OC, 4.9 on all cores is something I see easily overwhelming it if you don't have good silicon for a super low voltage.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Single rad won't really cut it for a great OC, 4.9 on all cores is something I see easily overwhelming it if you don't have good silicon for a super low voltage.

I know, I was aiming for single thread of 4.9 and all cores at 4.7 but that throttled instantly.

There aren't many options of aios in the node 202 though, so I think all 120 rads will perform similarly?

3 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

I know, I was aiming for single thread of 4.9 and all cores at 4.7 but that throttled instantly.

There aren't many options of aios in the node 202 though, so I think all 120 rads will perform similarly?

Idle temps shouldn't be so high so I recommend checking the mounting pressure and trying 4.6 all cores, worth some lower voltage.

To increase radiator performance you can add another fan to the other side.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Idle temps shouldn't be so high so I recommend checking the mounting pressure and trying 4.6 all cores, worth some lower voltage.

To increase radiator performance you can add another fan to the other side.

I'll repaste it and see what happens

also, there's no room on the other side - the fan is already on the outside

Just now, ShadowChaser said:

I'll repaste it and see what happens

also, there's no room on the other side - the fan is already on the outside

Ah yes, the node 202, forgot about that one.

Primary PC:

34 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Ah yes, the node 202, forgot about that one.

Good news: the repaste worked.

Bad news: not as much as I had hoped - Before: 100C immediately, 1.2Ghz downclock. After: 100C after a few minutes when the loop warmed up, 3.9 Ghz downclock

20 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

Good news: the repaste worked.

Bad news: not as much as I had hoped - Before: 100C immediately, 1.2Ghz downclock. After: 100C after a few minutes when the loop warmed up, 3.9 Ghz downclock

That is a good result, but what's your voltage?

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

That is a good result, but what's your voltage?

stock, which is like 1.1 ish at load before throttling.

I want to push 1.2 so that means either a delid or a new case I guess :(

1 minute ago, ShadowChaser said:

stock, which is like 1.1 ish at load before throttling.

I want to push 1.2 so that means either a delid or a new case I guess :(

Drop to 1.16 or 1.18 for the 4.6 GHz all core, see if that plays nice

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

Drop to 1.16 or 1.18 for the 4.6 GHz all core, see if that plays nice

Oh it's at 1.10 right now, not 1.20

3 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

Oh it's at 1.10 right now, not 1.20

That's a very unexpected result. My hyper 212 Evo cools my 8086k with 4.6 all core at 1.16 so you might want to check for pump speed or fan speed, or kinks

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

That's a very unexpected result. My hyper 212 Evo cools my 8086k with 4.6 all core at 1.16 so you might want to check for pump speed or fan speed, or kinks

I'll double check and see if maybe there's a setting in the bios that's messing with it. Asus's multicore enhancement might have something to do with the bad temps.

@fasauceome

So I went for it - lapped the ihs, delidded and applied LM, and shaved off a bit of silicone - the results? It can now do 1.2v and 5Ghz no problem, and at 60C under moderate load (p95 blend) and 79C under extreme load (p95 small fft)

Worth it :D