First Build! (In need of some advice)

After many years dragging my feet, I've finally decided to pull the trigger and build my first PC in lieu of restless anticipation for Bethesda's two (and most likely far out) upcoming games. Admittedly I am quite ignorant when it comes to this process and the technicalities which accompany it. Several of my friends have built PC's and they've recommended a few different different parts.

I live in the US and my ideal budget for the entire build, including keyboard, monitor, OS, etc. is the 800-850$ range. This is what I have roughly composed in terms of the build, per the recommendations of my friends. They have given differing opinions on choosing the i3-8100 vs i5-8400, and gtx 1050ti vs 1060. Additionally, I am trying to figure out what motherboard I should purchase - the one recommended to me on my list is out of stock.

I plan to use this PC solely for gaming, and I am primarily interested in playing ES/Fallout titles modded at high settings, Battlefield 4/1, PUBG, GTA V, and several other much older titles. Most of my buddies are avid Arma 3 players and I would really like to play as well, but from what I've heard, that game is extremely taxing on the CPU and would require a build that's solidly outside of my price range - not really a huge issue to me though.

Do you guys think that this would be a proper fit for what I'm looking for? I am relatively unknowledgeable about this stuff, so any advice on replacements, modifications, or ways to cut costs, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! ? 

get a ryzen 1600/2600, a decent B450 motherboard and use the stock cooler instead, much better for a similar price. get the rosewill capstone or EVGA G3 for $10 less than that cougar PSU, or an EVGA G2/RMx for the same price.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

I also agree that you would be better served by overclocking a Ryzen 1600,I can see they are going for $130 so only a little more than the i3 8100

Also getting a grey market windows 10 key from amazon for like $10 will save you some money

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Adorama) 
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 580 8 GB DUAL Video Card  ($184.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cougar - MX330-G ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Rosewill - Capstone 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: AOC - G2460VQ6 24.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor  ($129.99 @ B&H) 
Keyboard: Gigabyte - FORCE K83 Wired Standard Keyboard  ($41.62 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Corsair - Harpoon RGB Wired Optical Mouse  ($28.31 @ Amazon) 
Total: $814.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-23 10:43 EST-0500

get os from reddit for $25.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 hour ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

get a ryzen 1600/2600, a decent B450 motherboard and use the stock cooler instead, much better for a similar price. get the rosewill capstone or EVGA G3 for $10 less than that cougar PSU, or an EVGA G2/RMx for the same price.

So what would be the differences in regards to a Ryzen 1600 vs 2600? 

1 hour ago, DOGEY said:

Change the CPU to 2600. It's better here's proof: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-2600-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/3955vs3919. Then change the ram to 3000Mhz and a B450 motherboard (Asrock is a good choice if you are not going to OC).       

Would you recommend that I purchase a CPU cooler or use stock.

15 hours ago, nolenmichael said:

If you are going to OC the cooler you choose is good. If you don't OC the stock cooler is enough.

No reason to snatch in a 39$ cooler on a 2600. If u want to go that route buy a 2600x or a 2700 it will be cheaper/better

The performance increase on a 2600 with a huge oc isnt worth spending . Thats misplacing your 50$ on a cooler rather than a performence upgrade

Exemple here in canada 2600+a beefy cooler cost me around 300$

For that i get a 6 core 12 thread @ 4.1 if you won the sillicon lottery

Or u can buy the 2700x for a similar price

18 hours ago, nolenmichael said:

Stock with no oc . Your building an awesome 1080p machine. 

Instead of going 2600 + cooler

Id run stockcooler/speed and buy a 144hz(with the money saved) monitor instead you would get much more performance

Yeah I've also heard a lot of praise regarding the i5 2600, so cheap and can easily be ovelocked to be just as good as the 2600x version.

If I were on somewhat of a tight budget I'd definitely go for that...no point buying anything worse really, I think it's worth spending the extra $50 or so to get a much more future proof cpu.

I'd probably get a cooler that's a bit bigger than the one you have tho, maybe a 240mm dual fan cooler so you can really boost that cpu clock up, as you say you need a powerful cpu to properly game with your friends.

There probably isn't any point getting anything faster than a 144hz monitor for those specs, you probably wont get full advantage out of that monitor anyways so maybe go for a 120hz that's cheaper....or even a 100hz if you really wanna save on it, but nothing lower.

1 hour ago, FunKaLiTy said:

Yeah I've also heard a lot of praise regarding the i5 2600, so cheap and can easily be ovelocked to be just as good as the 2600x version.

If I were on somewhat of a tight budget I'd definitely go for that...no point buying anything worse really, I think it's worth spending the extra $50 or so to get a much more future proof cpu.

I'd probably get a cooler that's a bit bigger than the one you have tho, maybe a 240mm dual fan cooler so you can really boost that cpu clock up, as you say you need a powerful cpu to properly game with your friends.

There probably isn't any point getting anything faster than a 144hz monitor for those specs, you probably wont get full advantage out of that monitor anyways so maybe go for a 120hz that's cheaper....or even a 100hz if you really wanna save on it, but nothing lower.

assuming u mean r5, 2600,  why are you suggesting  a  100$ cooler on a  150$ cpu when you can get much better  cpu for the same money of a 2600+240mm cooler OCed balls to the wall?

Just now, blitzilla said:

assuming u mean r5, 2600,  why are you suggesting  a  100$ cooler on a  150$ cpu when you can get much better  cpu for the same money of a 2600+240mm cooler OCed balls to the wall?

TechDeals ( search youtube)  has  a  super nice guide  on  your  exact build  cost roughly  700$usd

15 minutes ago, blitzilla said:

Yeah r5 of course :P

I saw several 240mm dual fan coolers below $100 now during black week, I bought the Cooler Master ML240L RGB AIO cooler for $55, it's supposed to be a pretty high end one.

Yeah if you add another $40 you can go for a i5 8600k, but then you need a cooler for that one as well if you want to overclock it so really the increase would be about $150.

You also end up having a nice cooler which is likely to be sufficient for any future upgrades you might want to make.

The r5 2600 is priced really low for what it gives you and from what I've seen a lot of people recommend getting that if you are on somewhat of a budget, even if you're not and just don't wanna overspec your build for what you actually need.

3 hours ago, blitzilla said:

No reason to snatch in a 39$ cooler on a 2600. If u want to go that route buy a 2600x or a 2700 it will be cheaper/better

The performance increase on a 2600 with a huge oc isnt worth spending . Thats misplacing your 50$ on a cooler rather than a performence upgrade

Not sure where you get that from....maybe you're thinking of the 1600? Cause I've heard the complete opposite during my research for what CPU to get...I ended up with a i5 9600k because I had about twice the budget that OP has, but if I was going to go for something a bit cheaper it'd be a r5 2600 and overclock it.

Btw @nolenmichael I wouldn't have bought a mouse online without testing it first, how a mouse fits your hand and what weight you prefer is pretty important and varies greatly from one mouse to another!

r5 2600 161$ + 50 cooler =  211$
2600x 179$  better option
2700 249$ =   better  option if  u can afford  the 30$  difference 

or ..
go the  smart  route  and save up on a  161$  t5 2600 Ditch  the 75hz monitor  buy a 144hz monitor and you have there  a  Perfectly Alligned  1080p  100fps+ on high/ultra  on most games  or if ur into  shooters on low  details  get   huge fps 
my  r3 1200   8gb ddr4 3000 rx 580 8gb  pulls 150fps+ on low  detailt in blops2( NOT IN BLACKOUT THO since i run out of cpu/ram power)

18 minutes ago, blitzilla said:

r5 2600 161$ + 50 cooler =  211$
2600x 179$  better option
2700 249$ =   better  option if  u can afford  the 30$  difference 

or ..
go the  smart  route  and save up on a  161$  t5 2600 Ditch  the 75hz monitor  buy a 144hz monitor and you have there  a  Perfectly Alligned  1080p  100fps+ on high/ultra  on most games  or if ur into  shooters on low  details  get   huge fps 
my  r3 1200   8gb ddr4 3000 rx 580 8gb  pulls 150fps+ on low  detailt in blops2( NOT IN BLACKOUT THO since i run out of cpu/ram power)

Well if you can find the 2600x that cheap then go for it, here in Norway the cheapest is about $210 while 2600 is about $155.

An overclocked 2600 easily outperform a stock 2600x, but the 2600x does come with a better stock cooler and higher stock performance.
If you can get it for just $20 more then that sounds like a good buy.

I don't think he'll need a 144hz monitor, most of the time his fps will be under that if he want to play on high settings.
120hz should do, even 100hz will probably do fine considering he already was thinking of getting a 75hz one.