Install heavy games on SSD or HDD?

The Great Kamek

From what I heard, if games are installed on SSD, the load time will be faster. And if it is installed on 7200 RPM HDD, will it be just not as fast as SSD?

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350 PC Mate
  • RAM
    Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2x8)
  • GPU
    ASUS Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
  • Case
    Phanteks Eclipse P400
  • Storage
    WD 1TB 7200RPM, WD Blue 500GB SSD
  • PSU
    CORSAIR CX Series CX650 650W
  • Display(s)
    Dell SE2717HR 27" 75HZ
  • Cooling
    AMD Wrath Spire
  • Keyboard
    Rosewill Neon k85
  • Mouse
    Rosewill Neon m59
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro

dramatically faster. When I first got into PC gaming, the first game I got was PUBG. I at first had only an HDD, and was having a problem where by the time I landed on the ground, the buildings had still not rendered. They would then look "playdoey" after about 30-45 seconds of laying in the grass, and after about 60 seconds plus I could actually play the game. When I upgraded to an SSD, this problem completely disappeared. Not to mention how much more "snappy" and responsive the computer felt all around, its the single best upgrade you can make in my opinion if you have always just used an HDD. Lucky for you, SSD prices have dropped substantially recently.

9 hours ago, SACBALLZ said:

dramatically faster. When I first got into PC gaming, the first game I got was PUBG. I at first had only an HDD, and was having a problem where by the time I landed on the ground, the buildings had still not rendered. They would then look "playdoey" after about 30-45 seconds of laying in the grass, and after about 60 seconds plus I could actually play the game. When I upgraded to an SSD, this problem completely disappeared. Not to mention how much more "snappy" and responsive the computer felt all around, its the single best upgrade you can make in my opinion if you have always just used an HDD. Lucky for you, SSD prices have dropped substantially recently.

The only game that is heavy load is rainbow six siege.

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350 PC Mate
  • RAM
    Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2x8)
  • GPU
    ASUS Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
  • Case
    Phanteks Eclipse P400
  • Storage
    WD 1TB 7200RPM, WD Blue 500GB SSD
  • PSU
    CORSAIR CX Series CX650 650W
  • Display(s)
    Dell SE2717HR 27" 75HZ
  • Cooling
    AMD Wrath Spire
  • Keyboard
    Rosewill Neon k85
  • Mouse
    Rosewill Neon m59
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro

9 hours ago, masked_guy said:

The only game that is heavy load is rainbow six siege.

I would still do it, you can find a Samsung 500gb SSD for like $70 right now. Just make sure you put your OS on it and boot from it to get the full benefits. Super quick start ups and such. Then keep your most used applications on it. I have the benefit of having a total system storage amount of ~400gb, if you get an SSD large enough you can just clone your whole system over and tell your PC to boot from it, and it would be the exact same albeit with all the benefits of SSD storage.

19 hours ago, SACBALLZ said:

I've only ever played PUBG on a 7200RPM Barracuda, never had this problem.

I play on 1080p mix of Low/Medium.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

17 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've only ever played PUBG on a 7200RPM Barracuda, never had this problem.

I play on 1080p mix of Low/Medium.

As with anything in life, YMMV. Obviously. Using my HDD, PUBG was all but unplayable.