Getting a second monitor - chosing resolution at 27"

GER_T4IGA

Monitor choices - what would you do?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which resolution would you chose at 27"?

• 3840x2160 (4K UHD)
    • 2560x1440 (WQHD)
    • Neither bc resons (comment down below)
  2. 2. Should I get an HDR400 certified monitor?

• Yes, i have seen and or used some and it will be worth it.
    • No, it sucks and is a waste of money from what i have seen live.
    • I have never seen HDR400 in person and can not comment

I have an Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz IPS display for gaming

but I really miss dual monitors so I want to pick up another 27"

(since my desk will not accomodate more. Already exceeding weight spec by going with any second monitor).
I have had experience with mixed res in windows desktop.

There are advantages and disadvantages.

Now i am torn between going for 27" 4k (maybe even an affordable HDR400 certified model)

or 27" 1440p monitor.

In the end 2160p IS more desktop space but also a little more pricy but I don't mind the latter.

image.png.4e065036f6903e50e55123c03c3e299b.png

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

May I ask about your experience with that monitor? I'm thinking about picking it up myself. 

Personally I'd save 4k for something like a 32" monitor.

I'd avoid HDR, as everything I've seen in every video shows it's a crap shoot. Especially the lower tiers like the one you're considering.

I'd give it 2 or 3 years, then grab an HDR monitor. They should have everything sorted by then.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, geo3 said:

I answered 1440p because I assume you are gaming on it due to the high refresh. But if you want to to productivity stuff (looking at text) 4k is way better.

I game on my XB271HU and will continue to do so. Thanks for the inuput

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

3 hours ago, DVA said:

May I ask about your experience with that monitor? I'm thinking about picking it up myself. 

Had a real shitty experience with a monitor featuring the same AUO panel but this was pretty good first try. 

I have 1 bright pixel which I do not mind a very miniscule back light bleed to the point where it is not noticeable even with black bars in movies. 

Any specific questions?

3.Use

2 hours ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Had a real shitty experience with a monitor featuring the same AUO panel but this was pretty good first try. 

I have 1 bright pixel which I do not mind a very miniscule back light bleed to the point where it is not noticeable even with black bars in movies. 

Any specific questions?

A few if you don't mind. 

1. Is G-Sync worth the premium price? It would be paired with my 1080ti

2. How is the IPS on this monitor? I know not all panels all created equal.

3. Do you feel like you got what you paid for? Did it meet/fail expectations?

9 hours ago, DVA said:

A few if you don't mind. 

1. Is G-Sync worth the premium price? It would be paired with my 1080ti

2. How is the IPS on this monitor? I know not all panels all created equal.

3. Do you feel like you got what you paid for? Did it meet/fail expectations?

1. Seeing how cheap FreeSync monitors can be had I would probably buy one instead but read the reviews first!!!
In high fps scenarios it is completely irrelevant. I'd say 110fps and above. Below that I'd say it feels like you have 10fps more than you actually get but that is very subjective.
So to answer the question broadly: No it is not worth it, considering the G-Sync module only really enhances your experience on fps levels I would never play at anyway and FreeSync monitors generally seem to do pretty well at 60fps and above. The price difference is just a way for NVidia to milk us even further.
In your case it depends on what value money is to you. If you want that extra little bit go forth but straight price-performance-ratio is just not there.

2. Really good as I said. BLB is good. 1 dead pixel. I have seen to instances of this monitor. The one on my desk which is as described and another one at a store which also had almost no BLB from what i could tell in a bright lid show room.

3. I paid ~800€. I had a really shitty experience with customer support at a bad store and the AOC AG271QG. I would advise against buying that model.
Had to send the monitor back and forth 4 times until i finally got a refund which I was eligible way earlier according to local law.
My expectations were 'low' in that regard. I just wanted my fucking 700-800€ mointor to not be broken out of the box.
My expectations are not inline with a first time buyer of that monitor. I consider my expectations met as the were pretty low to begin with but the price I paid for this thing was definitely sadding and the odyssey I went through to end up here was straight torture.
Would it have met my expectations coming from a 1080p 144Hz TN NoSync monitor? Most definitely.
I sit about 75cm from my screen and I think 1440p at 27" is the perfect size and pixel density for that. (although I have never tried anything higher :/ )

3.Use

5 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

1. Seeing how cheap FreeSync monitors can be had I would probably buy one instead but read the reviews first!!!
In high fps scenarios it is completely irrelevant. I'd say 110fps and above. Below that I'd say it feels like you have 10fps more than you actually get but that is very subjective.
So to answer the question broadly: No it is not worth it, considering the G-Sync module only really enhances your experience on fps levels I would never play at anyway and FreeSync monitors generally seem to do pretty well at 60fps and above. The price difference is just a way for NVidia to milk us even further.
In your case it depends on what value money is to you. If you want that extra little bit go forth but straight price-performance-ratio is just not there.

2. Really good as I said. BLB is good. 1 dead pixel. I have seen to instances of this monitor. The one on my desk which is as described and another one at a store which also had almost no BLB from what i could tell in a bright lid show room.

3. I paid ~800€. I had a really shitty experience with customer support at a bad store and the AOC AG271QG. I would advise against buying that model.
Had to send the monitor back and forth 4 times until i finally got a refund which I was eligible way earlier according to local law.
My expectations were 'low' in that regard. I just wanted my fucking 700-800€ mointor to not be broken out of the box.
My expectations are not inline with a first time buyer of that monitor. I consider my expectations met as the were pretty low to begin with but the price I paid for this thing was definitely sadding and the odyssey I went through to end up here was straight torture.
Would it have met my expectations coming from a 1080p 144Hz TN NoSync monitor? Most definitely.
I sit about 75cm from my screen and I think 1440p at 27" is the perfect size and pixel density for that. (although I have never tried anything higher :/ )

Knowing that G-Sync isn't worth the premium price than, is it safe to just buy another model without it? I am currently using a 27" AOC monitor with FreeSync and haven't really had any of the stutters or tearing others talk about so frequently. 

I see you mentioned a TN panel, with all the hate that it gets.. is it due mostly to the angles? I game DIRECTLY in front of my monitor. I always see people mention viewing the TN panels from angles is complete..well, shit. I don't game that way though, so I'm wondering if TN is such a bad thing for my own play-style. 

Thanks for the in-depth response. 

Just now, DVA said:

Knowing that G-Sync isn't worth the premium price than, is it safe to just buy another model without it? I am currently using a 27" AOC monitor with FreeSync and haven't really had any of the stutters or tearing others talk about so frequently.

No, there is not 'just'. Read reviews for the model you are are intersted in and look up customer ratings. 
Stutter will be there regardless of your monitor as stutter is coming from your system. NO PICTURE -> NO REFRESH -> STUTTER

Funny story. I played on a NoSync monitor and my dad came in and ask why the picture was looking so weird with this line in the middle. Tearing. I had gotten so used to it i just filter it out automatically. it just depends on how sensitive you are to tearing.
Smoothness is improved a bit but conside this:
When you miss the frame target refresh window barely on a 144Hz monitor you have to wait ~7ms for a new updated image. On a 60Hz screen it is ~16.67ms.
The advantage on the G-Sync display is that when you miss the window of e.g. 60fps barely and drop to 59.5fps you just wait ~16.8ms, a net increase of a mere 0.13ms, instead of 16,67ms*2 = 33.33ms so the smotthness improvment in low fps is huge but at a fluctuation on hihger fps numbers you will gain less.

Missing target at 144Hz means waiting ~14ms which is still longer than hitting target window but still even faster than 60Hz. OFC you only lose about 0.0Xms when using G-Sync but it is way less relevant to me.

There is cheap+ bad and pretty mediocre TN. I never really minded the angle on a desktop. But the colors will definitely a bit better and very noticeably side by side.

I think opening a new topic for these questions would get you plenty more answers from other qualified members of the community if you are really considering buying such a monitor.

3.Use

2 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

No, there is not 'just'. Read reviews for the model you are are intersted in and look up customer ratings. 
Stutter will be there regardless of your monitor as stutter is coming from your system. NO PICTURE -> NO REFRESH -> STUTTER

Funny story. I played on a NoSync monitor and my dad came in and ask why the picture was looking so weird with this line in the middle. Tearing. I had gotten so used to it i just filter it out automatically. it just depends on how sensitive you are to tearing.
Smoothness is improved a bit but conside this:
When you miss the frame target refresh window barely on a 144Hz monitor you have to wait ~7ms for a new updated image. On a 60Hz screen it is ~16.67ms.
The advantage on the G-Sync display is that when you miss the window of e.g. 60fps barely and drop to 59.5fps you just wait ~16.8ms, a net increase of a mere 0.13ms, instead of 16,67ms*2 = 33.33ms so the smotthness improvment in low fps is huge but at a fluctuation on hihger fps numbers you will gain less.

Missing target at 144Hz means waiting ~14ms which is still longer than hitting target window but still even faster than 60Hz. OFC you only lose about 0.0Xms when using G-Sync but it is way less relevant to me.

There is cheap+ bad and pretty mediocre TN. I never really minded the angle on a desktop. But the colors will definitely a bit better and very noticeably side by side.

I think opening a new topic for these questions would get you plenty more answers from other qualified members of the community if you are really considering buying such a monitor.

Thank you. Yeah sorry, there are just a lot of monitor snobs that bark and yell at the mere mention of the consideration of a TN panel. 

Thanks for all your information, have a good one.