What do I need for Corsair RGB fans?

mopman94

Hello. Looking at getting two of these Corsair RGB fans:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CO-9050072-WW-LL120-Dual-Light/dp/B075VDGSJ8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542741647&sr=8-3&keywords=corsair%2Brgb%2Bfans&th=1

I understand I need some sort of controller for the RGB lighting? What exactly is it I need? Also I have this motherboard: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/PRIME-B450-PLUS/ which has an RGB header on it, is that the thing I need? I'm really not sure how this RGB malarkey works.

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

I believe you can use corsair RGB sofware to control the lighting. If your MB only has one RGB header you can purchase an adapter to turn that one usb header into many. 

Looks like you only have one RGB header on that motherboard. If you are fine with having only one light setting for both fans then a simple RGB splitter would work. If you want to control them separately, you would need something like the Corsair Lightning Node PRO.

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Looks like you only have one RGB header on that motherboard. If you are fine with having only one light setting for both fans then a simple RGB splitter would work. If you want to control them separately, you would need something like the Corsair Lightning Node PRO.

So those fans can use that header rather than their controller if I get a splitter? And in doing so they will light up the same which is preferably anyway. So if I get a three way splitter (or put a splitter onto a splitter) and can also stick on a cheap LED strip and everything will be insync

1200x630bb.jpg

Also whats a good LED strip

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

2 minutes ago, mopman94 said:

So those fans can use that header rather than their controller if I get a splitter? And in doing so they will light up the same which is preferably anyway. So if I get a three way splitter (or put a splitter onto a splitter) and can also stick on a cheap LED strip and everything will be insync

You got it.

4 minutes ago, mopman94 said:

Also whats a good LED strip

I don't really know my RGB strips, but from just browsing around, these might suit your needs. Plus, it comes with a RGB splitter.

I have the HD fans (basically the same) and I have them connected to the fan hub and have that connected to the lighting node pro which is then connected to a USB2 header. It is a nightmare for cable management but the end result is stunning. Also the corsair LED strips are really good. If you need more info DM me as it is a bit confusing at first. 

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

9 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

You got it.

I don't really know my RGB strips, but from just browsing around, these might suit your needs. Plus, it comes with a RGB splitter.

Had a bit more looking and it seems these Corsait ones do need their own RGB box thing to work :( Might just get the three pack for £70. My current fan set up is two exhaust at the back and top of the case, with three I can change it to two input in the front and one exhaust at the back and then I won't bother with an LED strip because the case will be lit by the fans on both sides.

Looks like they do an older fan called the HD120 which is £50 for a 3 pack, so might get those. Don't look quite as nice but still very good.

* The Aura RGB-strip header supports 5050 RGB LED strips with a max power rating of 3A (12V). For maximum brightness, strip length should not exceed 3m. 
L

* Specifications and features vary by model, and all images are illustrative. Please refer specification pages for full details.ED strips and Aura Sync-compatible devices are sold separately.

I would want to 100% know if that's a "corsair compatible " header before i plugged my 30 buck fans into it..

Get the LL 120 3 kit and sell off the other fan, you will get the node pro and fan hub free that way.

On 11/20/2018 at 2:24 PM, mopman94 said:

Hello. Looking at getting two of these Corsair RGB fans:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CO-9050072-WW-LL120-Dual-Light/dp/B075VDGSJ8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542741647&sr=8-3&keywords=corsair%2Brgb%2Bfans&th=1

I understand I need some sort of controller for the RGB lighting? What exactly is it I need? Also I have this motherboard: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/PRIME-B450-PLUS/ which has an RGB header on it, is that the thing I need? I'm really not sure how this RGB malarkey works.

If you’re lookin if to control it with aura then your out of luck as it sure as hell the Prime dosnt have a Jcosair port which is a 5v on the other hand the standard RGB cable is a 12v. And PLEASE DO NOT PLUG YOUR FANS INTO THE 12V it will short them out or worst case scenario:burn them. Use the Corsair commander that comes with it instead 

Thanks for all the help. I bought a pack of 3 Corsair LL120's from Amazon in the Black Friday sale. They were £60 but I had a £40 voucher so cost me £20. Most I've ever spent on fans but I'm hoping they will be worth it now that I have a build actually worth showing off.