Virtual Box on a Ryzen 1700 System

lpax95
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

What gpu settings are you using? Try changing that.

ALso try user hyper-v, it comes included in windows 10, and does the same vm tasks.

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I am hoping someone can help with this issue or give me a new direction to explore. I am running a Windows 10 VM on a ryzen1700 system with 16 gig ram. This screenshot is the usage of the host with the VM running idle. I get some weird artifacts when it starts screenshot below. The VM uses 6 of the 16 threads and  6 gigs of ram. After boot it is painful to load. I do have BIOS set up for virtualization (which is a difficult task with this MOBO). Anyway, if anyone may be able to help with this I would appreciate it greatly I can answer more questions if they pop up.

image.png.e00f4ed72bf39c05642f55c665eee29e.png

image.png.1b19af543143a4568e106c8a4244ec82.png

What gpu settings are you using? Try changing that.

ALso try user hyper-v, it comes included in windows 10, and does the same vm tasks.

Try Hyper-V. Virtual Box is best for Linux. VMWare is  pretty decent for Linux based OS and Windows.

Here is the display settings. ON a GTX1050 ( I know weak). I didn't think hyper v was on windows 10 I thought it was only windows 10 pro

image.png.52b0a41f8a5db27ab43742673b7032b8.png

4 minutes ago, lpax95 said:

Here is the display settings. ON a GTX1050 ( I know weak). I didn't think hyper v was on windows 10 I thought it was only windows 10 pro

image.png.52b0a41f8a5db27ab43742673b7032b8.png

Have you installed the host extensions pack? Try that and use 3d graphics.

I have installed guest add-ons I will try the 3d graphics. I am also looking into the hyper-v route.

So, I did get Hyper-V installed (easy) I also set it up as a VHD when I did the virtual box set up so it was very easy to migrate. I am still running into very slow boot times in excess of 110 seconds before login screen. I am running on a 7200rpm HDD but it isn't a boot drive for the host machine. Is that a normal boot speed for magnetic storage?

3 hours ago, lpax95 said:

So, I did get Hyper-V installed (easy) I also set it up as a VHD when I did the virtual box set up so it was very easy to migrate. I am still running into very slow boot times in excess of 110 seconds before login screen. I am running on a 7200rpm HDD but it isn't a boot drive for the host machine. Is that a normal boot speed for magnetic storage?

what is the disk usage on the host?

I don't think it's specific to Ryzen but running VMs on a HDD is just painful these days, I had to switch all of my VMs over to SSDs to make them usable. I never had issues running them on HDDs back in the Windows 7 days. The good thing though is even an SSD connected to USB 3.0 is great in terms of performance so that's what I do since I don't have space in my PC for another drive.

-KuJoe