Accelero Xtreme IV only fits Founders edition height graphics cards EDIT I was wrong

InfinityBandit

Just a note for anyone looking for info on the Arctic Accelero Xtreme aftermarket graphics card coolers, as I couldn't find this information online in my previous research.

I mistakenly bought the IV version, as I assumed it was the latest edition, and would fit the more up to date cards, like my MSI Armour 1080 ti. Sadly, it does not, as the backplate is built to conform to Founders edition height cards, and mine is a tall blonde wearing high heeled stilettos.

This being said, I decided to cut my losses, leave the MSI backplate on, and attach the Arctic cooler. I can tell you, the heat is already a good 20 - 15 degrees lower than the admittedly shitty stock, though it pains me to only be able to use half the kit. I'm ordering some regular GPU heatsinks to cover the upper strip of ram chips unfortunately not covered by the stock backplate.

Anecdotally, the coil whine this card suffers from has also reduced from "Angry wasp" to "impatient mosquito".

Having spoken to Arctics support (really nice and helpful people), they recommended leaving the GPU's backplate on, sticking heatsinks on some of the components the backplate doesn't cover, and using their rear mounted heatsink as backplate for the main heatsink mount.
Confusion occurred when the instructions describe clamping the rear backplate to the card along the edges, which in turn connects to the GPU support. The support still won't work with this style of card, but I have ordered a 3rd party one as it's a sodding heavy beast of a cooler.

3 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Now you have a Xtrem 3. :D 

Pretty much! I've contacted Arctic directly about sourcing a proper backplate (like the ones that comes with the III ¬¬) to spread the load of the mounting screws as that's really the only part I'm missing.

8 minutes ago, James Evens said:

They still offer them as a replacment part on there website for 3€ and 3€ shipping.

I am not sure how i will move my IV to the new gpu. 

2€ for the plastic sheet and 3€ shipping does not feel right. And in addition the VRMs on the RX580 will need heatsinks this mean i need to order anyway from ebay or a electronic distributor.

Sadly the plate is out of stock. I've messaged them on FB to see if they'll help a brother out. I've just ordered some Rasperry Pi sinks from Amazon. Figure they'll do the same job, and they're pretty cheap