Z87I-Deluxe, 4770K, no boot, 1/2 second fan spin

Bitter

I'm assembling an updated HTPC for myself from second hand parts with currently the following components currently being used on my test table:

Asus Z87I-Deluxe (Box marked with 1006, I assume BIOS revision)

Intel i7 4770K

OCZ StealthXstream 600 W (no product page available) - test bench part

DDR3 RAM from Team and Corsair for testing.

No USB devices, no VGA card, no SATA devices.

Symptoms are as follows:

Upon turning on the PSU main switch there is a faint whine emitted from the board or PSU and the green SBPW LED lights and stays lit, upon pressing the power button on the case used for testing the fans blip on for about 1/2 second and go back off. I have resocketed the power connectors, the RAM, and CPU. I did find one CPU socket pin slightly bent but pushed it right back to place without any issue that I'm aware of, the pin was in the left corner opposing the triangle arrow mark on the CPU and was the very outer pin so it would not have been able to short against any other pins or pads. I have swapped out the RAM for different known working RAM, I have reset the BIOS, I have pulled the BIOS battery and reinstalled it, I have jumped the power switch pins on the motherboard to rule out a faulty power switch. I have paper clip tested the PSU and used it to POST another known good working motherboard (an old G41 with a Core2Duo). I also installed a known good HD6570 that I have for test table use to rule out some issue with no VGA output from the motherboard, no change. I've tried a secondary monitor as well to rule out a faulty computer monitor, no change. i7 4770K appears to be supported in the BIOS revision indicated on the motherboard box https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z87IDELUXE/HelpDesk_CPU/ but with the board not POSTing I have no way to verify BIOS number.

I did try the 4770K in a HP Memphis-B motherboard, that board does NOT officially support the 4770K but it also would not POST. I assumed it simply does not recognize the 4770K because of the limited CPU support in BIOS. I have not installed a CPU or booted that board before, so I also do not know if that board works.  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03924124  The only other 1150 board and CPU I have is currently in use in the working HTPC and that case is a bear to take apart and work inside of for swapping parts.

I realize this isn't the right forum to ask but if anyone has a compatible CPU that is known working they're willing to sell I'm interested but as this is for testing purposes the cheaper the better.

At this point are there any other steps I should take before buying another CPU (the cheapest available) from the supported CPU list to verify a bad motherboard?

I'll be out of town for the holiday over the long weekend and won't have much time before that to do anything with this issue, buy if trying a different cheap CPU is the easiest way to test if it's a dead board I'd like to know so I can get one ordered. Maybe if I can find a cheap CPU/Motherboard combo that would be 4770K compatible if have both spare CPU and board for testing and could better eliminate doubts about which part is bad. I'd still enjoy at least some feedback if I've missed something,but by the silence I'm guessing I haven't missed anything?

Would unrelated cute dog pictures help? I've got lots of those. Are we doing dog tax?

IMG_20180923_180314.jpg

On 11/18/2018 at 1:05 PM, Bitter said:

I'm assembling an updated HTPC for myself from second hand parts with currently the following components currently being used on my test table:

Asus Z87I-Deluxe (Box marked with 1006, I assume BIOS revision)

Intel i7 4770K

OCZ StealthXstream 600 W (no product page available) - test bench part

DDR3 RAM from Team and Corsair for testing.

No USB devices, no VGA card, no SATA devices.

Symptoms are as follows:

Upon turning on the PSU main switch there is a faint whine emitted from the board or PSU and the green SBPW LED lights and stays lit, upon pressing the power button on the case used for testing the fans blip on for about 1/2 second and go back off. I have resocketed the power connectors, the RAM, and CPU. I did find one CPU socket pin slightly bent but pushed it right back to place without any issue that I'm aware of, the pin was in the left corner opposing the triangle arrow mark on the CPU and was the very outer pin so it would not have been able to short against any other pins or pads. I have swapped out the RAM for different known working RAM, I have reset the BIOS, I have pulled the BIOS battery and reinstalled it, I have jumped the power switch pins on the motherboard to rule out a faulty power switch. I have paper clip tested the PSU and used it to POST another known good working motherboard (an old G41 with a Core2Duo). I also installed a known good HD6570 that I have for test table use to rule out some issue with no VGA output from the motherboard, no change. I've tried a secondary monitor as well to rule out a faulty computer monitor, no change. i7 4770K appears to be supported in the BIOS revision indicated on the motherboard box https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z87IDELUXE/HelpDesk_CPU/ but with the board not POSTing I have no way to verify BIOS number.

I did try the 4770K in a HP Memphis-B motherboard, that board does NOT officially support the 4770K but it also would not POST. I assumed it simply does not recognize the 4770K because of the limited CPU support in BIOS. I have not installed a CPU or booted that board before, so I also do not know if that board works.  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03924124  The only other 1150 board and CPU I have is currently in use in the working HTPC and that case is a bear to take apart and work inside of for swapping parts.

I realize this isn't the right forum to ask but if anyone has a compatible CPU that is known working they're willing to sell I'm interested but as this is for testing purposes the cheaper the better.

At this point are there any other steps I should take before buying another CPU (the cheapest available) from the supported CPU list to verify a bad motherboard?

I'm putting a 4790k up on ebay in a couple of weeks when my new CPU comes as well as an Asus Maximus VII hero, but that would be a price jump up from the 4770k so probably not helpful. It sounds like the motherboard to me personally. CPU's being bad is really rare compared to motherboards and you did say that there was a bent pin so maybe there was other damage. There is a chance it still could be the CPU though.  I'm guessing this is a used board since it's haswell generation..

Did you try flashing the bios if you can get in at all? 

This is what's great about high end Asus boards. You don't even need a CPU to flash the bios.

I'm going to price my board reasonably though so keep an eye out on ebay since that's a really good board for that generation. I'll probably sell it for like 200 Canadian and they usually go from between 250-350 CAD (not including the broken boards you see on ebay of course. Don't buy one of those).

I am sadly married to Mini ITX for this HTPC stuff, but I appreciate the offer...also yea the 4970 is out of my price range.

I'll look for a good used CPU in the $30 range for a Celeron or maybe just get a really cheap board that supports the 4770K, any suggestions? Does it have to be a 87 series or would an 81 work? I'm way behind on that stuff.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd027529

What are the odds of that board working with a 4770K? The HP/Pegatron Memphis-B didn't POST with the 4770K and it's not on the official support list, much like this board. I see a listing for a working pull on eBay for $15 and free shipping! It's a Q87 chipset which supposedly supports the 4770K but I didn't find that from official Intel literature.

This is the Memphis-B board I first socketed the CPU into and had no POST, but I've never had that board running before so I could just have two dead used boards...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03924124 H87 chipset I'm sure should support a 4770K?

It's looking potentially cheaper to get a board than a CPU, but that could still leave me scratching my head if the CPU doens't work in a 3rd board, I'm feeling I should get both CPU and board and then confirm both work then start swapping things around to test the different combinations. I suppose a $30 CPU and a $15 board isn't too bad, I could still have a working computer at the end of it all albeit a pretty poorly performing one.

Ok, So I bought this board on the cheap and this CPU on the cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Elitedesk-800-G1-SFF-ATX-Socket-1150-Motherboard-717372-002-737728-001/302932681149

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Celeron-Dual-Core-G1820-SR1CN-LGA-1150-2-7-GHz-5-GT-s-CPU-Processor/302952219499

Hopefully something works with something and I somehow get this figured out, the Q87 chipset is compatible with that CPU and so is my Asus board, but I'm not sure if THAT board is compatible with either CPU. :dunno:

Ok so good news! I got the Celeron G1820 installed into the Z87 board and it posts! So that's good news. That also means that potentially the i7 4770K I bought is defective. That's bad news. I'm going to try the 4770K in the HP board I bought later on, after I verify the BIOS revision on the Z87 board and update it if needed. I didn't put a heatsink on the Celeron so I didn't run it long, nor did I have any input devices (and actually my USB keyboard is dead and the replacement comes tomorrow). So yea, I got that going for me at least so that's cool...

I'm actually very relieved that the motherboard isn't dead, I've had it too long to try to get any refund or send it back and sourcing an identical one is very expensive now for some reason. I can get another i7 4770K or maybe try one of those Chinese CPU's we all love now!

I checked the BIOS revision once I laid a heat sink on the Celery and my BIOS is 1204 and the 4770K requires 0402 or higher so that's good there. I believe I have a dead 4770K, I've sent a kind and fair message to the seller to start talking about refund and sending it back if he wants it back, hopefully they respond and I don't need to file any claims or jump through any hoops. In the mean time I'm back on the hunt for a 4770K or 4790K or maybe I'll try one of those weird Chinese CPU's that are all the rage now, as long as I can overclock whatever I get I'll be happy. I'll do more reading about those Chinese Intel BGA to 1150 obscenities and figure out if they'll overclock in my Z87 board and which one to get, the lower rated TDP is attractive to me since that means my CM Hyper 212 may have enough cooling for one without being loud. I'll make a new thread about that adventure if I need to.

Oh and the $16 motherboard uses some weird cooler hole spacing so that sucks a big one, I didn't catch that in the photos when I bought it so that one's on me. However the silver lining is that there's a few used coolers on eBay for that weird spacing and they're really inexpensive.