Who wants to see Linus do hackitosh and/or multiboot hackintosh, Windows, maybe Linux? Plus a poll on OS familiarity.

Who wants to see Linus do a hackintosh?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who wants to see a video about Linus successfully triple-booting Windows 10, Mac OS X, and Linux (say, Mint or Manjaro or something)?

• Oh heck yes
    • Hmm... maybe
    • Nah
    • I'd watch it for the same reason I watch all Linus videos: just to see what Linus drops!
    • Umm.... You forgot FreeDOS. He has to quad-boot Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and FreeDOS!
    • FreeDOS? He has to do ReactOS too. Cause who doesn't want to quintuple-boot their system? Wait, what about FreeBSD, that's sextuple-boot...
  2. 2. Never mind multi-boot. What about just converting a PC to a hackintosh?

3. 3. Which of the following Operating Systems (all currently developed and supported) have you heard of? Used?

• Everyone's heard of Mac OS X
    • and yes I've used it
    • Windows is ubiquitous
    • and I've used it willingly
    • Linux I've heard of
    • and tried
    • I've even heard of FreeBSD
    • and used it
    • ReactOS is a good idea, I've heard of that project
    • and tried it out, who doesn't like running an OS in Alpha?
    • FreeDOS? My it is a small world, I've heard of that
    • and used it, DOSBox is for plebs (or just when I don't want to reboot)

Just wanted to see if there's interest (and hopefully get Linus to take this on, it'd be  cool I think).

linux... sigh...

he already covered hackintosh... please search.

you registered just to post this, don't you know the admins still can see your ip and crosscheck it with your original username?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

Why Linux and not Windows?

Oh geez, good one lol.  Fixed; thanks.

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

you registered just to post this, don't you know the admins still can see your ip and crosscheck it with your original username?

Who knows what the OP is doing, but no doubt knows what knows. Linus approves of such programs, which seems odd, but hey its the world we live in today.

Yeah LOL I'd actually watch a few seconds of that video. I hate to nick pick but its Linus' I know I know, its the digital age n all.

1 minute ago, Speed Weed said:

I want to see Linus's wife do a video once. 

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

linux... sigh...

he already covered hackintosh... please search.

Someone didn't check my registration date.  ?  I didn't mean build one, what's the fun in that?  I mean take a regular run of the mill PC and do it (it's possible for a decent amount of PCs, just takes some research to be sure all components are supported).

And for the record, I use a VPN.  Except it's off, cause I'm just posting on LTT. ?  And even if I wasn't, my ISP doesn't assign a static IP (do any of them unless you pay extra for it??)

1 minute ago, 0x6A7232 said:

Someone didn't check my registration date.  ?  I didn't mean build one, what's the fun in that?  I mean take a regular run of the mill PC and do it (it's possible for a decent amount of PCs, just takes some research to be sure all components are supported).

And for the record, I use a VPN.  Except it's off, cause I'm just posting on LTT. ?  And even if I wasn't, my ISP doesn't assign a static IP (do any of them unless you pay extra for it??)

PIA VPN? 

1 minute ago, Being Delirious said:

You forgot several operating systems.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_operating_systems

*several hundred, FTFY xD, but I suppose I could have included HP-UX just to say I've used it, or UNIX just cause it's the great grand-daddy of them all.  I was going for modern tech-savvy end-user relevance, however.

5 minutes ago, Speed Weed said:

PIA VPN? 

No, VPN Unlimited

you want tripple booting ? i can do it right now.

i already in hackos and windos. just add centos or ubuntu.

it's not magic, you just add another os like a regular os install.

what's the fun of that? triple, quad, etc just adding 1 more os to the mix.

no secret tech behind it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, 0x6A7232 said:

*several hundred, FTFY xD, but I suppose I could have included HP-UX just to say I've used it, or UNIX just cause it's the great grand-daddy of them all.  I was going for modern tech-savvy end-user relevance, however.

No, VPN Unlimited

Nice. 

Also, after doing a search, I am dissapoint.  After the intro, I'm pretty sure that's Luke doing all the grunt work.

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

you want tripple booting ? i can do it right now.

i already in hackos and windos. just add centos or ubuntu.

it's not magic, you just add another os like a regular os install.

what's the fun of that? triple, quad, etc just adding 1 more os to the mix.

no secret tech behind it.

That's what I was saying; if you don't purpose-build the computer for Mac, it can get rather interesting finding supported 3rd party drivers and workarounds for the hackintosh.

Luke's didn't do all the grunt work, he just happened to be interested in hackos.

If you like hackos so much, you can try somehackintoshforum.net , this is not the one.

hackos is not legit, linus only support legit os.

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Luke's didn't do all the grunt work, he just happened to be interested in hackos.

If you like hackos so much, you can try somehackintoshforum.net , this is not the one.

hackos is not legit, linus only support legit os.

Preeetttty sure that's like saying Windows acquired from torrents (discussing here, not linking) isn't legit.  Even when the MD5 matches. ?

...And if he only supports legit OSes, he wouldn't have made the video.  The actual reason is, he doesn't really care that much about OS X (see 18 minutes, 30 seconds into the video.

Windows is legit if you have the serial number and activation, no matter where you donwnload it, if you endup registering it with a legit serial, its will be legit. period.

On the other hand, MacOs can only be installed on MAC hardware to be legit, you don't need serial number for it, but if you install MacOs on PC, that is not legit. 

You can't install MacOs on a pc. Installation on PC is a complete hack, hence the name.

Wait, are you saying "legit" meaning legal, or "legit" meaning genuinely the same as the original / working as intended?  It's not legal.  it is, however, the same code that's running in a Mac or Windows machine (hackintosh / Windows rolling beneath the  black flag).

EDIT: read your response.  Yeah, there's more area in-between.  Legal and illegal is one thing.  The stuff under the hood is the same.  Windows can be activated by simply injecting an OEM SLIC (or even flashing one to your BIOS for it to load) at boot, thus duplicating an OEM license.  Then Windows activates itself, checks out genuine, etc.  Legal?  No.  Legit?  Microsoft says so (and no, they can't block it, or they would simultaneously block that entire OEM's devices from activating).  Mac OS is just a matter of drivers.  So if you build a hackintosh, you can select hardware that has Mac drivers, or well supported 3rd party drivers.

Is an LS-swapped RX-7 legit?

• 5 months later...

*whistles merrily*   @17:35: "...or maybe like, Linux versus Mac versus Windows, gaming, all at the same time, on the same box, I mean, I dunno, the possibilities are kind of endless here."

Although this is a bit beyond triple-booting; you can run them simultaneously, which is kinda freaking cool.