Nothing mentioned about GTX 800 series during CES...signs of more waiting?

kungfury7
Go to solution Solved by Vitalius,

How do you know the new manufacturing process isn't ready yet? Just curious, because to me that's information only people on the inside would have.

I'm curious as to why you think it won't be a new manufacturing process if it comes Q1?

This:

its because TMSC(fab that makes chips) has released a statement their 20nm production line is not ready yet. il try and find it

Specifically here.

The earliest The 800 series would get here (assuming it's 20nm) is Q2. And if it does release in Q2, it will be hard to get (look at all the other things TSMC supplies chips to).

Does this mean that NVIDIA will be releasing he GTX 800 series a little later this year? Based on original rumors, speculations point to Q1 2014, around February to March. However, with the GTX 700 series, they announced it only 2 weeks before the cards are on the market. I mean what do you guys think? I know CES is a big milestone, but could they be announcing it just a short time before release like the 700 series, thus maybe the Feb-March release is still possible? ME NO WANT WAIT LONG.

They said Q1 of this year a while ago. So anytime from now to the end of march. The 700 series is 8 months old so probably around end of feb mid march.\

There is also a few days left of CES 2014

CES isnt over...

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

I don't see why you guys want the 800 series so bad. If it comes Q1, it won't be a new manufacturing process. Because that's not ready yet. 

Meaning it will be a refresh. Not anything truly "new" or exceptionally more powerful. Which, imo, would be a waste when we are so close to the new process (I think it's 28nm to 22nm, but I forget).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I don't see why you guys want the 800 series so bad. If it comes Q1, it won't be a new manufacturing process. Because that's not ready yet. 

Meaning it will be a refresh. Not anything truly "new" or exceptionally more powerful. Which, imo, would be a waste when we are so close to the new process (I think it's 28nm to 22nm, but I forget).

How do you know the new manufacturing process isn't ready yet? Just curious, because to me that's information only people on the inside would have.

I'm curious as to why you think it won't be a new manufacturing process if it comes Q1?

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

i think it's 20nm because that's what the rumours were for Hawaii last summer

Here for the past ces's hardware manufacturers (ie intel, amd,nvidia)don't release anything They wait for there own press conferences. So they won't be shadowed by anybody else

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

its because TMSC(fab that makes chips) has released a statement their 20nm production line is not ready yet. il try and find it

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Here for the past ces's hardware manufacturers (ie intel, amd,nvidia)don't release anything They wait for there own press conferences. So they won't be shadowed by anybody else

Good to know.

Why would they tell anyone about releasing new cards? To stop people buying the current ones? Dont think they want that.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

i cant decide whether to wait until the end of january or not for 800 series. about 2 weeks after i got my 680 the 780 came out.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Hey guys, according to the past they release a new series every 8 months right? What's the time frame before they release a new series?

I don't really mind if it's new architecture or not, just wanna get the newest of the newest, even if it's 70-80 percent increase. I would have gotten the 700 series if the performance was more impressive.

i cant decide whether to wait until the end of january or not for 800 series. about 2 weeks after i got my 680 the 780 came out.

Man, that is a really bummer situation. 

Hey guys, according to the past they release a new series every 8 months right? What's the time frame before they release a new series?

I don't really mind if it's new architecture or not, just wanna get the newest of the newest, even if it's 70-80 percent increase. I would have gotten the 700 series if the performance was more impressive.

no way it's going to be 70-80 percent increase.. that's way too high

Man, that is a really bummer situation.

i sold it and im down to a 7770.
Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

This:

Specifically here.

The earliest The 800 series would get here (assuming it's 20nm) is Q2. And if it does release in Q2, it will be hard to get (look at all the other things TSMC supplies chips to).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This:

Specifically here.

Ahh ok, that is really disappointing. Looks like I'll just pick up a 280x the first chance I get.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Ahh ok, that is really disappointing. Looks like I'll just pick up a 280x the first chance I get.

Yeah. If they did release the 800 series in Q1, it would be 28nm. Which would mean it would be slightly more efficient than the 700 series, but that's it.

† Christian Member †

Yeah. If they did release the 800 series in Q1, it would be 28nm. Which would mean it would be slightly more efficient than the 700 series, but that's it.

I mean don't get me wrong, if they released a 860 that is a rebadged 770 with an updated memory bus and 3gb vram and is $250-300 then I'd be all over that thing like flies on shit but I doubt that would be the case if they were to release a 28nm 800 series.

They said Q1 of this year a while ago. So anytime from now to the end of march. The 700 series is 8 months old so probably around end of feb mid march.\

There is also a few days left of CES 2014

CES isnt over...

i think it's 20nm because that's what the rumours were for Hawaii last summer

Guys, please help me understand the story correctly. I know that the 20nm architecture might not be ready if they decide to release a new series during Feb- March, but I have read somewhere that the GTX 700 Series is NVIDIA's farewell to Kepler architecture. Hence, it is highly unlikely they will repeat the 28nm architecture again. But also, I have read some where about 22nm architecture....If 20nm is not ready, could they be using this instead? If so,

1.how much performance in crease in percent could we expect? 

2. If they decide to go with 20nm, how much performance in crease in percent? In addition, any other additional advantages with this architecture?

I don't really know shit about Graphics cards, but I'm trying to learn. So have I got the story all wrong and I should be getting high on weed and bake chocolate chip cookies instead? Please help brahs.

Guys, please help me understand the story correctly. I know that the 20nm architecture might not be ready if they decide to release a new series during Feb- March, but I have read somewhere that the GTX 700 Series is NVIDIA's farewell to Kepler architecture. Hence, it is highly unlikely they will repeat the 28nm architecture again. But also, I have read some where about 22nm architecture....If 20nm is not ready, could they be using this instead? If so,

1.how much performance in crease in percent could we expect? 

2. If they decide to go with 20nm, how much performance in crease in percent? In addition, any other additional advantages with this architecture?

I don't really know shit about Graphics cards, but I'm trying to learn. So have I got the story all wrong and I should be getting high on weed and bake chocolate chip cookies instead? Please help brahs.

It is too early to even start guessing about numbers but a die shrink is almost a guaranteed speed increase and heat increase. We just don't have any clue how much yet. I don't know if they are bringing in any knew features for 800 series, I believe they are just going to work on refining gpu boost 2.0 and shadowplay and the recent software stuff that they released. Also smoking that good is always a recommended option :P

To me it looks like we have to wait a LOT more. 1st of all, they can't do another refresh. Their top line GK110 chip is already fully unlocked and already huge, bigger chips wouldn't make any sense. 2nd, TSMC should have their 20nm process ready soon if I remember correctly and NVIDIA, thanks to f*cking Apple, isn't a priority. Also from what I read these chips should be much more expensive than 28nm. From what it looks like the new cards should be here in Q3 orr early Q4 and if NVIDIA stays with TSMC the GTX880 will probably cost $1000+. Yeah, we can't be sure if they stay with TSMC, NVIDIA even said to the public they were deeply unhappy a while ago. Intel comes into mind, who has the most advanced factory in the world, or even NVIDIA making their own silicon wafers like Intel does, but that's unlikely. So that was mine, quite pessimistic look at the thing.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

To me it looks like we have to wait a LOT more. 1st of all, they can't do another refresh. Their top line GK110 chip is already fully unlocked and already huge, bigger chips wouldn't make any sense. 2nd, TSMC should have their 20nm process ready soon if I remember correctly and NVIDIA, thanks to f*cking Apple, isn't a priority. Also from what I read these chips should be much more expensive than 28nm. From what it looks like the new cards should be here in Q3 orr early Q4 and if NVIDIA stays with TSMC the GTX880 will probably cost $1000+. Yeah, we can't be sure if they stay with TSMC, NVIDIA even said to the public they were deeply unhappy a while ago. Intel comes into mind, who has the most advanced factory in the world, or even NVIDIA making their own silicon wafers like Intel does, but that's unlikely. So that was mine, quite pessimistic look at the thing.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird