Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can't increase partition size

I am unable to increase the size of a partition on SSD. I have unallocated space available. Any ideas of what could be causing this?

Screenshot from 2018-11-16 21-44-20.png

Interesting... I've never seen this happen before.  Can you move it to the left?  How much space is free to the right?  If it's just a few MB it may be blocking that due to "rounding"

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

You'll have to move it to the left. Cumbersome, I know :(

Intel Core i3-10100 - Gigabyte Z490M - HyperX DDR4 16GB  - 500W - 1x 1080p - macOS 12 Monterey, Windows 11

Intel Core i5-4210U - Acer Aspire E5-573G - 8GB - 768p - macOS 11 Big Sur, Windows 11
iPhone 12 - iOS 15

whats the "gdisk -l"  say?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

15 hours ago, The_Budget_Gamer said:

I am unable to increase the size of a partition on SSD. I have unallocated space available. Any ideas of what could be causing this?

In a nutshell:

The partition has a lock icon beside it, which means it's mounted.

The mount point says it's mounted to / (root), which means it's the partition currently being used to boot from.

You cannot modify a partition while it's mounted (i.e. accessible from a directory), but since it's the currently running system you cannot unmount it.

You'll need to make another bootable USB drive/CD, boot from that, and modify the root partition from there.

You can either use another bootable Ubuntu drive, or you can use Gparted Live USB, for example.

Once you have booted into a live environment, there's another issue.

The partition is on the right half of the disk layout representation. Due to the way data is arranged on drives, you'll need to move the partition to the left (which will physically move the data on the disk, so this will take a while).

After that, then you can expand the partition into the remaining space.

READ THIS: Be warned, expanding the size of the partition may change the UUID (identification) of the partition. If the UUID of the drive is changed, it's possible that you won't be able to boot until you change the root entry in /etc/fstab to point to the proper UUID. Keep this in mind just in case you suddenly can't boot, fixing it is a simple case of mounting the partition (sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt) and modifying the UUID= value of the / mount point in /etc/fstab (i.e. use lsblk -o NAME,UUID to get the UUID of /dev/sda6, and then nano -w /mnt/etc/fstab and copy over the UUID value)

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD