Backplate and warranty

AndyCapets

Hello!

Ok so I'm going to order my Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X tonight and I really am sad that it doesn't come with a backplate :-(.

So I looked on the cooling configurator that EK has on their website and it looks like the backplate that they have for the R9 290X is compatible with this card, and so I plan on ordering one when I get my card.

So what I'm asking is this: will I void my warranty if I install the backplate ? Because I have to remove some bolts on the PCB, and maybe if my card has a bug and if I RMA it, maybe they won't accept the card, IDK.

Once I get the card I'll ask the same question to the customer support that Sapphire has on their website, but I want your guys opinion/experience with this.

Thanks in advance!

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

I don't think it will fit. As far as I know, Sapphire uses a custom PCB and those backplates are designed for reference PCB's.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Hello!

Ok so I'm going to order my Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X tonight and I really am sad that it doesn't come with a backplate :-(.

So I looked on the cooling configurator that EK has on their website and it looks like the backplate that they have for the R9 290X is compatible with this card, and so I plan on ordering one when I get my card.

So what I'm asking is this: will I void my warranty if I install the backplate ? Because I have to remove some bolts on the PCB, and maybe if my card has a bug and if I RMA it, maybe they won't accept the card, IDK.

Once I get the card I'll ask the same question to the customer support that Sapphire has on their website, but I want your guys opinion/experience with this.

Thanks in advance!

Adding a backplate won't void your warranty. You'll be fine.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

If you need to send in for RMA swap back to original configuration and try to hide the modifications if any

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core
  • Ducky Shine 3 - Blue LED, Brown Switches
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2443
  • Custom Mousepad http://imgur.com/xJWASQM
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

Even if it fits, the screws might not work correctly as it's designed to be screwed in to a full cover EK block

I don't think it will fit. As far as I know, Sapphire uses a custom PCB and those backplates are designed for reference PCB's.

I'm pretty sure those backplates only fit when a waterblock is installed.

The backplate will fit, even without a backplate, the PCB is the one from the reference R9 290, the cooler is different though, thank god.

Even if it fits, the screws might not work correctly as it's designed to be screwed in to a full cover EK block

You sure ? Hmm that would be quite stupid.. :(

Adding a backplate won't void your warranty. You'll be fine.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't, but you're never too sure, thanks for the info mate :)

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

The backplate will fit, even without a backplate, the PCB is the one from the reference R9 290, the cooler is different though, thank god.

You sure ? Hmm that would be quite stupid.. :(

I'm pretty sure it doesn't, but you're never too sure, thanks for the info mate :)

It does sound silly, but there was someone on the forums who tried to buy an XSPC Razor backplate for a non watercooled card and it didn't fit. Some of the mounting spots will be covered by screws for the GPU shroud