Power and Current Limit Throttling on Asus ROG GL503GE ( i5-8300H, 1050Ti )

Hello everyone. Is the throttling normal?

The laptop is on latest bios version 308 and both cpu & gpu drivers are up-to-date.

Screenshot (85).png

Power & Current Limit Throttling.png

Power_Limit_Throttling.png

Current_Limit_Throttling_2.png

Your CPU is power throttling, so undervolting will only make the situation worse.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

3 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Your CPU is power throttling, so undervolting will only make the situation worse.

I'm sorry for my carelessness?. I actually forgot I rebooted my laptop a few hours ago after undervolting the cpu( just checked xtu after reading your post). The cpu is not undervolted as it can be seen in the screenshots as core voltage offset is 0.00V. I will re-edit my post description. Thank you for your reply.    

2 minutes ago, WiseCharacter said:

I'm sorry for my carelessness?. I actually forgot I rebooted my laptop a few hours ago after undervolting the cpu( just checked xtu after reading your post). The cpu is not undervolted as it can be seen in the screenshots as core voltage offset is 0.00V. I will re-edit my post description. Thank you for your reply.    

So is your CPU power throttling (not turbo boosting due to power limits) or thermal throttling (running too hot and therefore slower)?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

So is your CPU power throttling (not turbo boosting due to power limits) or thermal throttling (running too hot and therefore slower)?

I think it's power throttling because it is able to turbo-boost upto 3.9GHz while gaming even when its avg temperature is about 79 degrees celcius.

Just now, WiseCharacter said:

I think it's power throttling because it is able to turbo-boost upto 3.9GHz while gaming even when its avg temperature is about 79 degrees celcius.

I wouldn't raise the power limit though because it's a laptop, and battery life is probably important to you. Throttling is normal, no need to worry :) 

5 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

That's wrong, the power consumed will be much lower the lower your voltage is, so you're less likely to hit the power limits and your laptop will run cooler.

I always recommend undervolting a laptop CPU since it's one of the best upgrades you can do to improve the performance of a laptop, start with -50mV (on both core and cache) and run prime95 for a few minutes and if everything is ok lower the voltage 10mV more, when you get a BSOD while running prime95 you'll know the limit of your chip so take that voltage offset and add 20mV to it just to be safe and you're good to go.

If your laptop is still power throttling after undervolting just increase the turbo boost power max to match the short power max.

And to get rid of the current throttling just increase the Icc Max value, it usually doesn't matter how high you set the limit so you can safely set it to unlimited if you want.

Power and current limit throttling actually decreased after undervolting.

Not undervolted.

767.thumb.png.8c9a32ea4ee8ab14aebba525cb550065.png

Undervolted by 150mV.

797.thumb.png.cb21943ea5d95623e6b08fd84ea1681c.png

Undervolted by 200mV.

804.thumb.png.baa2d460eeb05fd97e77b64f906c60b5.png

5 hours ago, Garcia98 said:

That's wrong, the power consumed will be much lower the lower your voltage is, so you're less likely to hit the power limits and your laptop will run cooler.

I always recommend undervolting a laptop CPU since it's one of the best upgrades you can do to improve the performance of a laptop, start with -50mV (on both core and cache) and run prime95 for a few minutes and if everything is ok lower the voltage 10mV more, when you get a BSOD while running prime95 you'll know the limit of your chip so take that voltage offset and add 20mV to it just to be safe and you're good to go.

If your laptop is still power throttling after undervolting just increase the turbo boost power max to match the short power max.

And to get rid of the current throttling just increase the Icc Max value, it usually doesn't matter how high you set the limit so you can safely set it to unlimited if you want.

What are the risks of increasing Turbo Boost Power Max and Processor Core Icc Max values?

26 minutes ago, WiseCharacter said:

What are the risks of increasing Turbo Boost Power Max and Processor Core Icc Max values?

Extra heat, overload charger/adapter

Can you test with Cinebench R15? For 8300H you should get around 840-860cb multi core in normal case

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

58 minutes ago, WiseCharacter said:

There's not really a risk when you increase Icc Max value. The risk of increasing Power Max is higher temps on full load tasks.

And btw -200mV is a very extreme undervolt and your system might be unstable.

10 hours ago, Garcia98 said:

Doesn't lowering the voltage not allow the CPU to get the power that it needs, or am I mistaken?

17 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Doesn't lowering the voltage not allow the CPU to get the power that it needs, or am I mistaken?

When a power throttling event happens it means that the CPU is consuming an amount of power higher than the power limit (and PL1 is, by default, the same as the TDP), after power throttling occurs the CPU is forced to work at a lower frequency so the consumed power doesn't exceed the limit, this is done to avoid overheating due to the system working at a higher power than the cooling system can dissipate. So power throttling is just proactive thermal throttling.

Undervolting a CPU will allow it to work at a lower power therefore it won't surpass the power limit, of course if you undervolt the CPU too much it won't be able to get enough power under intensive tasks and you will get a BSOD (or a forced CPU shutdown if you set the undervolt really low). But in this case there are no signs of the CPU misbehaving due to a low voltage so he can undervolt it.

TLDR: more voltage -> more power -> more heat so you want your voltage as low as possible

7 minutes ago, Garcia98 said:

When a power throttling event happens it means that the CPU is consuming an amount of power higher than the power limit

Ohhh, I get it know. I though power throttling was when the CPU didn't get the power it needed. Thanks for the clarification!

8 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Can you test with Cinebench R15? For 8300H you should get around 840-860cb multi core in normal case

When undervolted by 150mV.1955651432_Screenshot(91).thumb.png.7164edac3e7e2cd2631cb68187dcada8.png

Not undervolted.

1291979946_Screenshot(92).thumb.png.fa782e6f725f7b9e48cdc2a2c94dcefd.png

Looks normal, can monitor temps and clock speed as well during the benchmark?

BTW, you use XTU to undervolt? Did you undervolt cache voltage as well?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

18 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Looks normal, can monitor temps and clock speed as well during the benchmark?

Without undervolting, the max cpu temp on multicore and singlecore tests are 78 and 82 degrees celsius respectively. The power limit throttling is pretty much the same during multicore test as in the case of XTU benchmark and the clock speed hovers between 3.3 - 3.7 GHz. During single core test it manages to stay above 3.95GHz.

19 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

BTW, you use XTU to undervolt? Did you undervolt cache voltage as well?

The cache automatically gets undervolted by the same amount as the core while undervolting.

14 hours ago, WiseCharacter said:

The power limit throttling is pretty much the same during multicore test as in the case of XTU benchmark and the clock speed hovers between 3.3 - 3.7 GHz

Hmm. 8300H shouldn't have power throttling with undervolt applied in Cinebench multi core unless you got a bad silicon. Try increasing PL1 limit and duration

Desktop specs:

Spoiler