What should I get for my xm8500 (dynamic microphone).

quick note: the xm8500 is a dynamic microphone so phantom power would actually break it.

So right now I connected it to my pc with an xlr->3.5mm cable directly into the back audio port of my pc. problem is, the quality is good but at max gain, +30dbs it's quite silent, and when you increase the volume you can hear some mild background noises. The onboard audio I got is the alc1220 on the b450 gaming pro carbon (was about the best onboard audio that I could get)

but in order to fix that I think i'd need a good xlr-usb cable or an audio mixer, like the Behringer xenyx, but I can't really decide what is the best, because Behringer has a lot of models on the xenyx and they all look good, an an xlr->usb cable feels kinda cheap but would be a more clean solution so I can keep an emptier desk.

Please help me out here, I am sorry if my story is kinda unclear though....

On 11/11/2018 at 10:54 PM, UltimateHB said:

quick note: the xm8500 is a dynamic microphone so phantom power would actually break it.

It wouldn't. Phantom power has no effect on dynamic microphones

xlr->usb cable feels kinda cheap

those things are no better than standard mic in on your MBO. Avoid those things

I can't really decide what is the best, because Behringer has a lot of models on the xenyx and they all look good

if you don't know what to get, just grab the cheapest one and you are good to go