Will upgrading from 16gb ram to 32gb ram slow down pc?

Eharan
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
1 minute ago, Eharan said:

Getting an i5 9600k (from i5 8400), i need more ram for photoshop and 3dsmax. 

Yeah, you'll be fine. I'm pretty sure 3DSmax will love more ram, too.

I plan to upgrade from 16gb (2x8gb) ram to 32 gb (4x8gb) ram, all will be running at the same speed and populate all the slots on my motherboard (z370m). Will it slow down the pc? (boot and general uses). Thanks. 

no, it won't slow down the PC at all, tough you probably won't see any benefit from the upgrade if you;re not running a workload that benefits from all that RAM capacity.

depending on the IMC and freq./timing conditions, it may have more difficulty running at single channel speeds.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

depending on the IMC and freq./timing conditions, it may have more difficulty running at single channel speeds.

The motherboard supports dual channel and i'll fill up all 4 slots with the same kind of ram. I'm not sure if that'll cause any issue however.

Just now, Eharan said:

The motherboard supports dual channel and i'll fill up all 4 slots with the same kind of ram. I'm not sure if that'll cause any issue however.

What's the CPU and why are you upgrading?

Ryzen is known for having issues with populating channels too much, so with Intel you should be fine.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Eharan said:

it'll run it, but your problem mileage may vary (meaning it depends on what you call a problem).

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

9 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

no, it won't slow down the PC at all, tough you probably won't see any benefit from the upgrade if you;re not running a workload that benefits from all that RAM capacity.

Recently I started working on larger project in Phtoshop and 3dsmax (both running at the same time). Ram usage is always above 90% so yeah, pretty sure i need more ram. Photoshop went "not responding" today and i can't take it anymore. Ram was 99%-100% atm.

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

What's the CPU and why are you upgrading?

Ryzen is known for having issues with populating channels too much, so with Intel you should be fine.

1 minute ago, Eharan said:

Yeah, you'll be fine. I'm pretty sure 3DSmax will love more ram, too.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad