Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

B450 MB Choices

I'm really struggling on a mobo for a update to my system.  I've been on a slow crawl from my specs in the sig.  Last black friday I went with the Fractal case and 750W full modular PSU.  I'm wanting to go with a Ryzen 2600 and some DDR4 3000, which I have that squared away for the most part.  I'm stuck on which board to pick up though.  

I'm looking at the MSI Tomahawk and the ASUS Tuf.  I would like to overclock the CPU with some better cooling but that AIO will probably have to wait until after New Years when I get my bonus/tax return.  My question is simply, is there any real difference in capabilities of these boards?  The Tuf has a 20% off promo at Newegg currently and I can save a little by going with it today.  Thanks for the input.

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 5 3600(Stock Clock)

Cooler: EVGA CLC 280 

Motherboard: ASUS X570 TUF Gaming Plus WiFi

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC3

RAM: 32GB(2x16GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600

SSD: WD Blue 3D NAND M.2 250 GB

HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB  

Case:  Fractal Design Meshify C

PSU:  Seasonic Focus 650W 80+ Gold

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!!!" --Elwood Blues

I would get the Asus TUF personally.

MSI hasn't been known to have the best VRMs on their lower end boards and it seems pretty hit or miss on those. Asus has a tendency to deliver quality products.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // PSU Tier List // Bugs and Issues // Join Floatplane! // Join the LTT Official Discord //

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I would get the Asus TUF personally.

MSI hasn't been known to have the best VRMs on their lower end boards and it seems pretty hit or miss on those. Asus has a tendency to deliver quality products.

Funny thing is, the MSI B450 tomahawk is actually praised for its VRMs and the TUF is considered a pretty bad board, lol. I guess companies can change their ways :) 

Steve from HWUnboxed was pretty explicit about that recently. His top 5 can be found here

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X MSI B550M Mortar 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 @ CL15 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 - Pop!_OS 20.04

Just now, NelizMastr said:

Funny thing is, the MSI B450 tomahawk is actually praised for its VRMs and the TUF is considered a pretty bad board, lol. I guess companies can change their ways :) 

Steve from HWUnboxed was pretty explicit about that recently. His top 5 can be found here

Interesting. I might've been thinking B350, then.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // PSU Tier List // Bugs and Issues // Join Floatplane! // Join the LTT Official Discord //

15 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Interesting. I might've been thinking B350, then.

As someone who has the b350 tomahawk I can confirm it's a bad motherboard. I was surprised to see the b450 modeling getting such good reviews so I guess they realized their mistake and corrected it.