my dog bites its self when pet

shmoochie

so I googled this and most stuff I read was just about dogs that bite them self for no reason, but my dog a 6 month old German shepherd will bite well more like nibble on its back leg/thigh area or its side when I or anyone pets it. it doesn't matter where its pet, I can be scratching her head, back, leg, ears, nose. we got the dog when she was 2 months old and she was never like this when she was littler this started to happen around to 4-5 month range. she won't bite her self every single time she is pet but she does it quite a bit.

has anyone else's dog ever done this? is it a thing she will grow out of? my girlfriend was told by one of her friends that some dogs can get anxious when pet and bite them self and if thats the case did we just end up picking a dog that we can never really pet or be affectionate with. even when we cuddle with her she will sometimes bite her self. but she does love us and sleep with us so I have no idea why we would make her anxious.

I forgot to add that she only does it when shes laying down and we pet her, like if shes on the couch by us or the bed, when shes standing or playing she never does it

My dog used to do this, we took her the Vet and turns out it was the food she was eating. She was allergic to it, take her to the vet and just ask to see if she's allergic to anything.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

2 minutes ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

My dog used to do this, we took her the Vet and turns out it was the food she was eating. She was allergic to it, take her to the vet and just ask to see if she's allergic to anything.

I have a vet appointment this Friday to get her shots updated so I will do that

oh wow tomorrow is Friday already

4 minutes ago, shmoochie said:

I have a vet appointment this Friday to get her shots updated so I will do that

oh wow tomorrow is Friday already

FRIYAAAAY, god i feel dissapointed in myself for even typing that but yeah when we used to pet her the vet said it was like a reaction to being touched that made her skin flare up and go all scabby. Does she have scabs under her legs and on her chest?

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

15 minutes ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

FRIYAAAAY, god i feel dissapointed in myself for even typing that but yeah when we used to pet her the vet said it was like a reaction to being touched that made her skin flare up and go all scabby. Does she have scabs under her legs and on her chest?

well I have noticed on her left front leg (not one she bites) by where it bends not at the paw but like what I would call her elbow her skins has like a black spot that looks raised and no fur is growing on it its not big its like the size of a fingernail if that, im not sure if I would call it a scab since it looks like its her skin and not something on top of her skin like a scab would be

im trying to find a picture on google to show you what It looks like but when I google dogs skin raised and black what shows up is not whats on my dog

Probably some kind of skin irritation. Those can be caused by tons of stuff but a good start is to check if she is allergic to something like has been suggested. I have a dog that is supposed to be shaved in certain areas and when I do that it itches on him and he licks and bites it. Now I use lotion fr a few days after I shaved him and he doesent bite or lick like that anymore :)