Reducing input lag for FPS Games

ShoshinUK

Ok, I am far from an expert on display performance tech.

But I wanted to get some feedback on an idea I have.

I would like to play FPS with the least possible input lag, but stable framerate displayed.

The drivers for wanting this are I suffer sever headache if frames go up and down to much, secondly I find I play better with a stable frame rate.

I am thinking of testing setting my monitor to 60Hz (the min I get across what I play) and enabling NVIDIA Fast Sync. The idea is to push more frames than render on screen, thus reducing input lag? I will prob still limit my upper frames to 90fps so I don't fry my rig (The stuff I play id very demanding on the rig, Squad, Post Scriptum ad Escape from Tarkov etc).

I am fortunate to have some decent gear (in my signature below). Anyone tried this or something similar?

Cheers for sharing any relevant experience.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

You want your fps as high as possible with the highest refresh rate possible to reduce input lag. What you are talking about doing would increace it by a significant margin. 

20 minutes ago, ShoshinUK said:

The idea is to push more frames than render on screen, thus reducing input lag?

@Brooksie359 is the above not true then?

You may well be absolutely correct, I can set my refresh rate of the monitor to the min I can push fps out to in the games I play. But for 90% of the time my rig pushes out much more, I am trying to have a stable frame rate.

For example in Squad my PC can push from 65fps-144 plus fps. I am thinking if I set the monitor to 60hz, run fastsync, but limit my upper FPS (via MSI Afternurner/Riva tuner) to 90fps wouldn't I get the input lag benefit and smooth gameplay with no fluctuations?

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

You want your fps as high as possible with the highest refresh rate possible to reduce input lag. What you are talking about doing would increace it by a significant margin. 

just tested and you are very correct, gone back to my usual set 75fps and match refresh rate on monitor - works just fine.

Operating System Win 10