VA panels for gaming?

Hi P

I found a monitor that ticked many boxes for what I was looking for, plus it's VA and I like it's contrast over budget IPS.

But, do they suck for gaming? I keep reading comments on how they're slow.

I have a 2080 Ti, and this is the monitor that caught my eye:

ViewSonic VX3258-2KC-MHD

Side question, its the HDMI 2.0 perfectly fine? I'm just used to read "HDMI 1.4" for the monitors I've been looking at.

Thank you

i have a VA panel, OCd it to get 73Hz from it and its great. 32" 1440p VA feels great tbh. i have played at a high level of competative FPS and found no issues beyond that a 144Hz panel feels a bit better generally

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

It'll work fine.

Don't connect it over HDMI, use DisplayPort.

Something to note is that it's FreeSync and not GSync. Since you have an nvidia GPU you might want a GSync monitor.

it's time

3 minutes ago, RollTime said:

Don't connect it over HDMI, use DisplayPort.

Something to note is that it's FreeSync and not GSync.

1.- Why DisplayPort and not HDMI?

2.- Is the FreeSync just an extra feature that I can just not use? (I would pick one with G-Sync, but Mexico site it's limited, and none for the budget)

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i have a VA panel, OCd it to get 73Hz from it and its great. 32" 1440p VA feels great tbh. i have played at a high level of competative FPS and found no issues beyond that a 144Hz panel feels a bit better generally

One question, if the monitor its 144Hz, and say, I play X game which only outputs 75 FPS.

Would I have screen tearing or something like that? (I forgot the term, I think that's the wrong one)

1 minute ago, Hi P said:

1.- Why DisplayPort and not HDMI?

2.- Is the FreeSync just an extra feature that I can just not use? (I would pick one with G-Sync, but Mexico site it's limited, and none for the budget)

1. It supports higher resolution and refresh rate

2. You don't have to use it. Some FreeSync monitors only allow the refresh rate to go over 60Hz when FreeSync is on.

it's time

1 minute ago, Hi P said:

One question, if the monitor its 144Hz, and say, I play X game which only outputs 75 FPS.

Would I have screen tearing or something like that? (I forgot the term, I think that's the wrong one)

havent seen any myself, havent noticed screen tearing almost ever tbh but you could get it any time you dont run at the exact same fps as the monitor. for most shooters this isnt really a problem because they run quite light but for more scenic games like BDO or TW3 you likely wont be pushing 144fps.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

11 minutes ago, Hi P said:

Not screen tearing, but it might not look smooth. Games can look stuttery if you don't match your refresh rate. To get the best image quality you'd want to lock your refresh rate at 75hz. That way every refresh would coincide with a new frame.

It really depends on the person and what your preferences are. I can't tell the difference between a 60hz and 144hz monitor (unless they're literally side by side), but I'll immediately spot my framerate dropping from 60fps to 55fps. Good colors matter a lot more to me.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

34 minutes ago, RollTime said:

1. It supports higher resolution and refresh rate

Ohh I see, so HDMI 2.0 can't run 1440p at 144Hz?

59 minutes ago, Hi P said:

It can, but that's the absolute max. You can't go any higher, and I think it limits the colors that can be transmitted. DisplayPort, on the other hand, leaves plenty of headroom for 10-bit color. That monitor has a DisplayPort input so why not use it?

it's time

On 11/5/2018 at 9:35 AM, Hi P said:

I don't think it's not impossible for HDMI to run FHD with 144Hz, but mostly DP can cover more than HDMI for my experience.

Also i thought you need to have a decent graphics card to run 144Hz (2080 Ti should have to work.) (Correct me if i'm wrong.)

But in any ways, DisplayPort is recommended.