Ultimate folding Build

After visiting my grandfather who suffers from alzheimers recently over the holidays, I am reinvigorated about folding. I am not sure if it has been done before on here (ltt) but I am curious as to what you would build to be the ultimate folding machine. I am not currently planning on using the suggestions from this thread for a build but I might in the future.

• Price point will not have a budget, but also somewhat within reason (ie 10 780's or cpu equivalent won't work)
  • Not sure if server cpu or gpu would be better since you could get big adv with cpu. 
  • Hdd/ssd, os, and peripherals can be ignored.

Main rig: Coursair Air 540, Amd 8120(stock clock, had it up to 4.6), Gigabyte 990 fx ud3,  MSI DCU2 r9 280x, seasonic 1000w platinum, Samsung 830 64 GB ssd, Seagate 1tb, 4 GB (2x2) G.Skill, 

Secondary: Define r4, Amd A10 5800k(4.6), 1x Sapphire 7950, MSI FM2-A85xa, 8 GB coursair vengeance ram, Seasonic 1250w Gold, 500GB 840 Evo, 223GB 2.5 Hdd, 80 Gb Seasonic, Samsung CD/dvd

A 4p build with a 690(or 790 when it comes out)

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

Im not sure, but I think it would be better to just donate the money instead of using it to buy a folding machine.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

multiple 4p build will be better and will consume less power

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

As the minimum requirement for even qualifying for bigadv WUs is going up to 32 cores going forward, that would be the best route for "future proofing" your ultimate folding rig. I wouldn't even bother with GPU folding as CPU folding is by far more efficient for large point payouts. A 4P, G34 socket based system would be the way to go (AMD Opterons for either 32 or 48 total cores via Magny-Cours, Interlagos, or Abu Dhabi series CPUs).

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Build a 4p machine and skip the GPU's.

That will run you about 2k for a good machine, and you can use it for other things also.

~Judah

Build a 4p machine and skip the GPU's.

That will run you about 2k for a good machine, and you can use it for other things also.

how long do you think it would be until cheaper g34 stuff starts coming up on ebay?

Main rig: Coursair Air 540, Amd 8120(stock clock, had it up to 4.6), Gigabyte 990 fx ud3,  MSI DCU2 r9 280x, seasonic 1000w platinum, Samsung 830 64 GB ssd, Seagate 1tb, 4 GB (2x2) G.Skill, 

Secondary: Define r4, Amd A10 5800k(4.6), 1x Sapphire 7950, MSI FM2-A85xa, 8 GB coursair vengeance ram, Seasonic 1250w Gold, 500GB 840 Evo, 223GB 2.5 Hdd, 80 Gb Seasonic, Samsung CD/dvd

how long do you think it would be until cheaper g34 stuff starts coming up on ebay?

The bigadv requirement changes are going to live in different stages; the stage where 32 becomes the minimum isn't expected to occur until April 17. Until then, expect a bunch of people to part out with their current 2P / 4P systems and start looking for G34 gear really early on before the demand rush hits. [H]ardforum is a great place to pick up G34 hardware from other folders and is a trusted resource by the community; I suggest you check it out (though you'll have to do a bit of research to find what you need). Depending on whether you want to get into this long-term or short-term and exactly what your budget is, your hardware requirements will change respectively.

Link to Stanford regarding changes to bigadv: http://folding.stanford.edu/home/changes-to-the-bigadv-threshold/

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Right now most powerful system is a Intel 64 core system - but that costs a LOT of money - on the price to PPD ratio, a 64 core, AMD Opteron is the solution you want to go with. 

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Hidden comments relating to nothing but that meme. Unless you have something useful to say, please do not just post memes. 

Right now most powerful system is a Intel 64 core system - but that costs a LOT of money - on the price to PPD ratio, a 64 core, AMD Opteron is the solution you want to go with. 

one thing i have been wondering about though, yes sure, doing bigadv with a 4p build will reward ALOT of more points due to it being niche, but will it actually do more  work or accomplish more than 2-3 gpu's, aside from just giving you more points per watt will it actually contribute more? in theory a gpu should get more work done? while only on specific things and projects designed for it ofcourse.. 

btw the "ultimate" folding machine would be stupidly expensive no matter how you look at it, so a budget for the best performance to $ is definitely needed :P, you can get a solid 4p system ALOT cheaper than most people because you live in the us.

i wouldt go with GPU foldiing get a few 290X or 7970's and fold with them.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

You will get more "work" done via GPU folding - but at a cost - power and heat. Although at [H]ard they have been doing some calculations and looks like now if you went for like a top end 5 GPU solution you would pay about the same as the top end G34 and could almost generate as much PPD - but at much more power consumption. 

And in the end, the BA projects are special ones that even GPU's cannot churn out...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

You will get more "work" done via GPU folding - but at a cost - power and heat. Although at [H]ard they have been doing some calculations and looks like now if you went for like a top end 5 GPU solution you would pay about the same as the top end G34 and could almost generate as much PPD - but at much more power consumption. 

And in the end, the BA projects are special ones that even GPU's cannot churn out...

i was thinking more maybe 2 gpus that consume roughly the same ammount of power versus a 4p machine, regardless cpu folding still has it's place.

I am still planning on building a large folding rig, but it will have to wait till after college since then I will hopefully have a nice steady job and a better way to pay for it than summer savings

thanks for the help, even though it will probably all be different in a couple years