Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Severe stuttering\hitching Gtx 1070 6600K

SpeederT12
 Share

I'm getting tired of this.

So, you can see my specs in my signature, but most importantly I'm running a 1070 oc'd to ~2050-2100ish (pascal is weird), memory to almost 9ghz effective (+450mhz offset) and an I5 6600K running on 4.4ghz stock voltages.

I am stuttering in many games, though recently I've been playing mainly Fortnite and BF1. In both games I get stuttering, in fortnite from 100+ fps maxed out 1080p noticeably dips to 30-60 and pisses me off. Bf1 again, stuttering with high fps and sudden drops to the 40-60s. Temps seem good, 70-80ish cpu 60ish. What could be causing this? I am not sure when I started to notice this behavior, but im pretty sure i haven't touched the hardware. Yes, I am on high perf mode. I have a feeling it's the 6600k that's causing the dips, cause in both games it runs 90-95%+ almost constantly. Also, this is my second PSU, the first one failed, could it be a power issue? One more thing, my monitor and psu use the same type of cable to connect to power and I have no clue which one is which (same type same look), could that be the culprit? t

This used to be a medium to high-end system two years ago and didn't have any of these problems (BF1 was even released the same year as my 1070, ran 100+ fps rock solid)

Cheers

  • CPU
    Intel Core I5 6600k @ 4.4ghz
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte HD3p z170
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX Fury @ 3666mhz
  • GPU
    Asus Strix GTX 1070 @ 2100mhz
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed Blackout edition
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
  • NEW Seagate Skyhawk 2TB
  • PSU
    Corsair RM650x
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2414H
  • Cooling
    CM Hyper 212 EVO
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
  • Sound
    Generic Dell Speakers and Razer Kraken USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SpeederT12 said:

I'm getting tired of this.

So, you can see my specs in my signature, but most importantly I'm running a 1070 oc'd to ~2050-2100ish (pascal is weird), memory to almost 9ghz effective (+450mhz offset) and an I5 6600K running on 4.4ghz stock voltages.

I am stuttering in many games, though recently I've been playing mainly Fortnite and BF1. In both games I get stuttering, in fortnite from 100+ fps maxed out 1080p noticeably dips to 30-60 and pisses me off. Bf1 again, stuttering with high fps and sudden drops to the 40-60s. Temps seem good, 70-80ish cpu 60ish. What could be causing this? I am not sure when I started to notice this behavior, but im pretty sure i haven't touched the hardware. Yes, I am on high perf mode. I have a feeling it's the 6600k that's causing the dips, cause in both games it runs 90-95%+ almost constantly. Also, this is my second PSU, the first one failed, could it be a power issue? One more thing, my monitor and psu use the same type of cable to connect to power and I have no clue which one is which (same type same look), could that be the culprit? t

This used to be a medium to high-end system two years ago and didn't have any of these problems (BF1 was even released the same year as my 1070, ran 100+ fps rock solid)

Cheers

You are facing a CPU bottleneck.

 

The cpu being at 100% load while the GPU is ready to push more frames and is waiting on the CPU = cpu bottleneck = cpu lag = stuttering in cpu demanding games like BF1

 

an i5 6600k is not strong enough to run a gtx 1070 in heavy cpu demanding games, and there tends to be more of these games nowadays.

 

BF1 is extremely cpu demanding. That is why you have stutters. Let me guess, in the desert maps it's fine ? 

 

Upgrade to a 6700k and the bottleneck will be gone. I had the same issue as you before. Upgraded to i7 and boom. All games super smooth now.

 

Another thing you can try is to limit frames to 60. That will help as well since the cpu will not have to process more frames, it will give it a little "Break"

 

But you might still have stuttering. Only option is to upgrade your cpu to an i7, you can find cheap 6700k used on ebays etc...

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

You are facing a CPU bottleneck.

 

The cpu being at 100% load while the GPU is ready to push more frames and is waiting on the CPU = cpu bottleneck = cpu lag = stuttering in cpu demanding games like BF1

 

an i5 6600k is not strong enough to run a gtx 1070 in heavy cpu demanding games, and there tends to be more of these games nowadays.

 

BF1 is extremely cpu demanding. That is why you have stutters. Let me guess, in the desert maps it's fine ? 

 

Upgrade to a 6700k and the bottleneck will be gone. I had the same issue as you before. Upgraded to i7 and boom. All games super smooth now.

Bullseye, desert is fine. I remember when I built this system, everyone was saying that a 6600k has no chance of bottlenecking a 1070. How's fortnite cpu intensive though? (i also have extreeeeeme stuttering in FiveM)

  • CPU
    Intel Core I5 6600k @ 4.4ghz
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte HD3p z170
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX Fury @ 3666mhz
  • GPU
    Asus Strix GTX 1070 @ 2100mhz
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed Blackout edition
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
  • NEW Seagate Skyhawk 2TB
  • PSU
    Corsair RM650x
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2414H
  • Cooling
    CM Hyper 212 EVO
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
  • Sound
    Generic Dell Speakers and Razer Kraken USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also it's not normal to have huge drops in FPS especially in fortnite. Try a clean windows format/reinstall maybe ?

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

You are facing a CPU bottleneck.

I would be inclined to agree, were it not for the Fortnite issue. Fortnite is an extremely non demanding game, able to run on absolute potato systems. However, OP's i5 6600k at 4.4 GHz is by no means a bad CPU. It's not terribly old, and since it's overclocked it should be able to handle itself really well. My brother's i5 7400 and GTX 970 can do Fortnite without any stuttering at all.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SpeederT12 said:

Bullseye, desert is fine. I remember when I built this system, everyone was saying that a 6600k has no chance of bottlenecking a 1070. How's fortnite cpu intensive though? (i also have extreeeeeme stuttering in FiveM)

I know desert maps tend to be less cpu demanding, not sure why.

I faced the exact same issue, but I don't know about fortnite since I didn't play it.

 

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

I would be inclined to agree, were it not for the Fortnite issue. Fortnite is an extremely non demanding game, able to run on absolute potato systems. However, OP's i5 6600k at 4.4 GHz is by no means a bad CPU. It's not terribly old, and since it's overclocked it should be able to handle itself really well. My brother's i5 7400 and GTX 970 can do Fortnite without any stuttering at all.

Yup for fortnite it doesn't make any sense to lag with a 6600k and gtx 1070 unless the 1070 is pushing too many frames for the 6600k to handle, which might be possible ? IDK about fortnite

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, fasauceome said:

I would be inclined to agree, were it not for the Fortnite issue. Fortnite is an extremely non demanding game, able to run on absolute potato systems. However, OP's i5 6600k at 4.4 GHz is by no means a bad CPU. It's not terribly old, and since it's overclocked it should be able to handle itself really well. My brother's i5 7400 and GTX 970 can do Fortnite without any stuttering at all.

Yup, clean installed windows already. Drive failure? I mean, it's a modern ssd but it is still an ssd

  • CPU
    Intel Core I5 6600k @ 4.4ghz
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte HD3p z170
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX Fury @ 3666mhz
  • GPU
    Asus Strix GTX 1070 @ 2100mhz
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed Blackout edition
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
  • NEW Seagate Skyhawk 2TB
  • PSU
    Corsair RM650x
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2414H
  • Cooling
    CM Hyper 212 EVO
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
  • Sound
    Generic Dell Speakers and Razer Kraken USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6600k is not a bad cpu. Truth is nowadays games tend to need more than 4 cores. Not all games, probably 10% of games now you will need more than 4 cores, but surely 80-90% of games still are not very cpu demanding...

 

Unfortunately, BF1 is super cpu heavy

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, gbergeron said:

6600k is not a bad cpu. Truth is nowadays games tend to need more than 4 cores. Not all games, probably 10% of games now you will need more than 4 cores, but surely 80-90% of games still are not very cpu demanding...

 

Unfortunately, BF1 is super cpu heavy

I know, but it used to run brilliantly

  • CPU
    Intel Core I5 6600k @ 4.4ghz
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte HD3p z170
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX Fury @ 3666mhz
  • GPU
    Asus Strix GTX 1070 @ 2100mhz
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed Blackout edition
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
  • NEW Seagate Skyhawk 2TB
  • PSU
    Corsair RM650x
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2414H
  • Cooling
    CM Hyper 212 EVO
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
  • Sound
    Generic Dell Speakers and Razer Kraken USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SpeederT12 said:

Yup, clean installed windows already. Drive failure? I mean, it's a modern ssd but it is still an ssd

An SSD can fail, but it wouldn't result in this. Do you have one ram dimm or 2? Lacking dual channel might cause something like this.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SpeederT12 said:

Yup, clean installed windows already. Drive failure? I mean, it's a modern ssd but it is still an ssd

IDK tough to say without seeing it.

Monitor your cpu/gpu usage in game

 

1 hour ago, SpeederT12 said:

I know, but it used to run brilliantly

Since launch BF1 and i5 = stuttering 

 

except for desert maps.

 

So.... Maybe you were not that aware of the sutter before ?

 

If your cpu is always 80-90-100% usage in games, it's the problem for sure.

 

You want your gpu to be at 99-100% usaged (unless you use Vsync)

 

And you want your CPU usage to be as low as possible. The best your CPU is, the less it has to work, the best it is for your games. I would say as soon as you start to see your CPU reach the 80% usage, it's close to face a bottleneck.

 

My 6700k will rarely go over 70% usage in BF1.

 

I have seen 80% but never over 80-85%... most of the time, it sits around 40-50% usage

 

That being said, it means the 6700k doesn't have lot of "room" in BF1, it's fine to run it perfectly but I expect to have to change CPU in the next BF after BF V ( BF V is the same engine as BF1 so no problem still hehe :) )

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 dimms, dual channel. I just remembered that I took apart my pc about an year ago (cannot remember whether i reseated the cpu or not, but replaced thermal paste), is it possible I screwed smth up? Is it worth to reseat everything?

  • CPU
    Intel Core I5 6600k @ 4.4ghz
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte HD3p z170
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX Fury @ 3666mhz
  • GPU
    Asus Strix GTX 1070 @ 2100mhz
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed Blackout edition
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
  • NEW Seagate Skyhawk 2TB
  • PSU
    Corsair RM650x
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2414H
  • Cooling
    CM Hyper 212 EVO
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
  • Sound
    Generic Dell Speakers and Razer Kraken USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

You want your gpu to be at 99-100% usaged (unless you use Vsync)

 

And you want your CPU usage to be as low as possible. The best your CPU is, the less it has to work, the best it is for your games. I would say as soon as you start to see your CPU reach the 80% usage, it's close to face a bottleneck.

 

This isn't true, if your GPU is at 100% and your CPU is at like 15% that means you have a bottleneck

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

This isn't true, if your GPU is at 100% and your CPU is at like 15% that means you have a bottleneck

lol ?

 

Explain please ? So what is the bottleneck ?

 

If you have gpu at 100% usage and cpu at 1% usaghe, it's best scenario possible. It means your gpu is fully used, and your cpu only needs 1% of it's power to run the GPU to the maximum.

 

No bottleneck here unless you talk about the bottleneck being the gpu which is exactly what you want, which is totally normal, which shudnt be call a bottleneck.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, gbergeron said:

lol ?

 

Explain please ? So what is the bottleneck ?

The graphics card. It's maxed out while the CPU isn't doing work it could. Other way around would be CPU is at 100% and graphics card is at 15%, then the CPU is maxed out and graphics card loses potential.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

The graphics card. It's maxed out while the CPU isn't doing work it could. Other way around would be CPU is at 100% and graphics card is at 15%, then the CPU is maxed out and graphics card loses potential.

You don't understand..

 

The cpu can't make the gpu work harder if the gpu is already at 100%.  The cpu is only there to process the frames that the GPU generates. As soon as the cpu has enough power to process all frames from the GPU, there is no more bottlenecks.

 

You misunderstand the concept here.

 

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

The graphics card. It's maxed out while the CPU isn't doing work it could. Other way around would be CPU is at 100% and graphics card is at 15%, then the CPU is maxed out and graphics card loses potential.

Exactly, once the GPU is the bottleneck, it means thats perfect, there is no bottleneck in fact. Even if you put in a 10 000$ cpu, you won't get more performance.

 

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

The graphics card. It's maxed out while the CPU isn't doing work it could. Other way around would be CPU is at 100% and graphics card is at 15%, then the CPU is maxed out and graphics card loses potential.

The cpu has no more work to do once it provide all the necessary power to run the gpu at 100%

 

You need to understand that ! so if it only needs 15% to do this, then boom. You're set, and you have ~85% of the CPU power left for any other tasks...

 

:) 

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

This isn't true, if your GPU is at 100% and your CPU is at like 15% that means you have a bottleneck

 

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

Exactly, once the GPU is the bottleneck, it means thats perfect, there is no bottleneck in fact. Even if you put in a 10 000$ cpu, you won't get more performance.

You lads got me confused lol. Fortnite is currently running at 100% gpu usage and 80ish % cpu.

  • CPU
    Intel Core I5 6600k @ 4.4ghz
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte HD3p z170
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX Fury @ 3666mhz
  • GPU
    Asus Strix GTX 1070 @ 2100mhz
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed Blackout edition
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
  • NEW Seagate Skyhawk 2TB
  • PSU
    Corsair RM650x
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2414H
  • Cooling
    CM Hyper 212 EVO
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
  • Sound
    Generic Dell Speakers and Razer Kraken USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

The cpu has no more work to do once it provide all the necessary power to run the gpu at 100%

 

You need to understand that !

 

:) 

No, that's not the case at all. The CPU has a job to do in gaming, and so does the GPU. If one is maxed out, that means it's a bottleneck, especially if the other could be doing more work.

 

That's exactly what a bottleneck is, something is holding something else back. Would you be able to get good framerates with a 750 and an 8700k? Not at all, the 750 would hold the 8700k back.

5 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

You don't understand..

 

The cpu can't make the gpu work harder if the gpu is already at 100%.  The cpu is only there to process the frames that the GPU generates. As soon as the cpu has enough power to process all frames from the GPU, there is no more bottlenecks.

 

You misunderstand the concept here.

By no means is the CPU's only job to "process frames." It has to do AI calculations, physics, multiplayer logistics, and network interpolation. I think you need to further understand the role of a CPU in gaming, otherwise, how would an 8700k be any better than a 6600k in battlefield 1?

 

Also,make sure not to excessively quote me, you will fill up the thread too fast.

 

 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SpeederT12 said:

 

You lads got me confused lol. Fortnite is currently running at 100% gpu usage and 80ish % cpu.

80% cpu usage = it's pretty close to a cpu bottleneck.

 

It is possible you face a little cpu bottleneck here.

 

What you need to understand :

 

The gpu creates frames. The cpu process these frames.

 

If the cpu is not strong enough to process all GPU's frames, you have a cpu bottleneck.

 

That's all you have to understand.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, gbergeron said:

80% cpu usage = it's pretty close to a cpu bottleneck.

 

It is possible you face a little cpu bottleneck here.

 

What you need to understand :

 

The gpu creates frames. The cpu process these frames.

 

If the cpu is not strong enough to process all GPU's frames, you have a cpu bottleneck.

 

That's all you have to understand.

That's far too simple, it's not all OP needs to understand. Also, OP needs to look at per-core usage instead of overall CPU usage. Since the GPU is being used more than the CPU, I'd be inclined to say there's a GPU bottleneck (sorta) since there's still 20% more CPU power to go.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

No, that's not the case at all. The CPU has a job to do in gaming, and so does the GPU. If one is maxed out, that means it's a bottleneck, especially if the other could be doing more work.

 

That's exactly what a bottleneck is, something is holding something else back. Would you be able to get good framerates with a 750 and an 8700k? Not at all, the 750 would hold the 8700k nack.

By no means is the CPU's only job to "process frames." It has to do AI calculations, physics, multiplayer logistics, and network interpolation. I think you need to further understand the role of a CPU in gaming, otherwise, how would an 8700k be any better than a 6600k in battlefield 1?

 

Also,make sure not to excessively quote me, you will fill up the thread too fast.

 

 

Those are little factors not to take in consideration when teaching basics of cpu/gpu works.

 

It's very very little facts. The most important is that once the GPU run to it's max power, and the cpu is not topped at 100%, you are good to go and the GPU deliver all it's power. Putting a 10K CPU won't help any further.

 

Example : Go get a GTX 750 and have it run at 100% usage on a 4690K i5.

 

Now put a 9900K in it, with the same gtx 750 , you won't have better perfromance. It's going to be the exact same FPS, exact same pefromance in game.

 

That is what I am saying. The GPU can't deliver more performance once it reach 100% usage and the CPU doesn't provide more FPS.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

That is what I am saying. The GPU can't deliver more performance once it reach 100% usage and the CPU doesn't provide more FPS.

But that's my point, the GPU is at 100%, limiting the CPU's potential. That's a bottleneck.

 

Just like the opposite, you take a core 2 quad and a gtx 1050 ti, the CPU is at 100% and the GPU is switched for a GTX 1080, the CPU is still at 100% so the FPS doesn't increase, therefore the CPU is a bottleneck.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

That's far too simple, it's not all OP needs to understand. Also, OP needs to look at per-core usage instead of overall CPU usage. Since the GPU is being used more than the CPU, I'd be inclined to say there's a GPU bottleneck (sorta) since there's still 20% more CPU power to go.

You are just confusing OP so much.

 

What are you talking about !!?!?!?! The cpu as 20% more power to go ????

 

You really don';t understand how it works, obviously.

 

THE CPU is there to provide power tyo the gpu so the gpu can reach 100% usage. THE CPU can't make the GPU work faster after that, even if you put a 1 million $ cpu.

 

You have to understand that, it's the gpu  who provide the FPS, not the CPU. The cpu only process the frames from the GPU. IT can't boost the gpu anymore once the gpu as reached 100% usage.

 

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

But that's my point, the GPU is at 100%, limiting the CPU's potential. That's a bottleneck.

THE CPU IS NOT LIMITED bro !!!!

 

Wowowowow ! Please read my posts and learn...

 

The cpu is not a "booster" it only provide the power needed to power up the GPU to 100% usage. AS SOON AS YOU HAVE REACHED THE 100% USAGE ON THE GPU, THE CPU JOB IS OVER.

 

There is no such " the cpu could work to 80% to provide more power " that is completely wrong and false.

 

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

But that's my point, the GPU is at 100%, limiting the CPU's potential. That's a bottleneck.

It's not limiting the power, yes there is a bottleneck and this is WHAT YOU WANT. YOU want always the gpu to be the "bottleneck" but that doesn't mean if you had a better CPU you would have more perfromance, you WOULDN'T because the gpu is running to IT'S MAXIMUM POWER ALREADY

 

Because the CPU is providing all the power it needs to run the GPU TO THE MAXIMUM IT CAN.

 

I hope it's more clear now.... for you and OP

 

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

But that's my point, the GPU is at 100%, limiting the CPU's potential. That's a bottleneck.

CPU doesn';t have "potential" CPU is like a bank of power, that the gpu grab some pwoer from that bank to run. Once it has taken enough power from the CPU to be able to run to it's maximum, then the GPU is used to it's maximum.

 

That means the rest of the power available in the CPU is there for any other tasks. You have to understand this rest of power can't be used to boost the GPU any more since the GPU is already running to it's maximum and deliver it's maximum. 

 

More clear now ?

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

CPU doesn';t have "potential" CPU is like a bank of power, that the gpu grab some pwoer from that bank to run. Once it has taken enough power from the CPU to be able to run to it's maximum, then the GPU is used to it's maximum.

 

That means the rest of the power available in the CPU is there for any other tasks. You have to understand this rest of power can't be used to boost the GPU any more since the GPU is already running to it's maximum and deliver it's maximum. 

 

More clear now ?

Not clear, I believe you are mistaken with how a computer works. Don't quote me on this thread anymore, message me instead.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, fasauceome said:

Not clear, I believe you are mistaken with how a computer works. Don't quote me on this thread anymore, message me instead.

Not gonna waste anymore energy on this. You clearly don't understand how cpu/gpu works together sorry buddy.

 

Cheers

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×