Gigabyte 1080ti Fan speed is 0rpm?

DoctorMckay

Ok, so, I bought a new Gigabyte GTX 1080ti OC BLACK 11Gb GPU for my PC a week ago or so and I've been having the following problem with its fans:

Once they get going they do not stop.

Well, that's the summarised version, now the in-depth one:

I've tried to use HWMonitor, Speedfan and Gigabyte's EXTREME software(one by one) to set the fan speed curve. They do turn on the fans when I want, f.e.:

• If I fix the dan speed to 10% when I reboot the fans start going at 10% and do not stop or accelerate.
  • If I set a speed curve the fans accelerate properly.

The problem is they do not decelerate. Even if I fix the speed to 0 rpm manually they do not stop.
What I've seen is that none of the programs I've tried seem to detect the fan speed. It is always 0rpm.

Any ideas¿?  The only things I can think of is that the cause is one of the following:

• My GRUB setup with Arch Linux making some strange config that block these programs from taking over the fan speed(unlikely, cuz the can accelerate them).
  • Something wrong in my UEFI setup(I've checked, nothing seems out of place).
  • My motherboard(6 yo Asrock H84 Pro4) has something to do with it.

fanSpeed0.PNG

Yep that's nvidia drivers for you. Every time you update/install drivers something goes wrong. All you can do is keep clean reinstalling the drivers until you stop noticing issues. People try to tell me AMD's drivers suck... let me tell you I never had so many fan and clock control issues as I did when I had my GTX 275, and then GTX 570s.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

try msi afterburner maybe I used that for years on heaps of different cards and never had a problem. Im using it on my gigabyte g1 gaming 1080 to control fan speed.
I have had heaps of problems with speedfan not working right and not reading fans right. 
I also found the gigabyte extreme software was only good for setting the graphic cards rgb then uninstall that piece of trash 

i7-8700k @ 5GHz || MSI Z370 Sli Plus || Gigabyte G1 Gaming GeForce GTX 1080 || 250GB 970 EVO NVMe SSD, 250GB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Black HDD, 4TB WD Blue HDD

Corsair Vengeance RGB CL141818 3200Mhz 2x8GB || Corsair Obsidian 500d RGB SE || Corsair H150i || Corsair RM750x || Acer Predator XB241H, Acer G257HL

I'm a bit confused about the issue, are you just unable to use zero fan mode or it doesn't speed down after being stressed and raised rpm?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I'm a bit confused about the issue, are you just unable to use zero fan mode or it doesn't speed down after being stressed and raised rpm?

I believe the problem is he can set the fans to a certain speed that works but it wont change from that. and if he sets a fan profile the go up in speed but the dont go back down. also his monitoring software bug out and display 0rpm when he trys to use a fan profile. is this correct mate?

i7-8700k @ 5GHz || MSI Z370 Sli Plus || Gigabyte G1 Gaming GeForce GTX 1080 || 250GB 970 EVO NVMe SSD, 250GB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Black HDD, 4TB WD Blue HDD

Corsair Vengeance RGB CL141818 3200Mhz 2x8GB || Corsair Obsidian 500d RGB SE || Corsair H150i || Corsair RM750x || Acer Predator XB241H, Acer G257HL

Maybe you've got a bad card. I'd check the fan connector to make sure it's plugged in right.

You could also try MSI Afterburner and see if you can set a custom fan curve in that. You shouldn't need a restart for those to take an effect though.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

3 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

3 hours ago, Picklestine said:

I believe the problem is he can set the fans to a certain speed that works but it wont change from that. and if he sets a fan profile the go up in speed but the dont go back down. also his monitoring software bug out and display 0rpm when he trys to use a fan profile. is this correct mate?

Basically what Picklestine says. I can set the curve however I want. It only works in one direction though ?

3 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Maybe you've got a bad card. I'd check the fan connector to make sure it's plugged in right.

You could also try MSI Afterburner and see if you can set a custom fan curve in that. You shouldn't need a restart for those to take an effect though.

Hoping I have not gotten a bad card. I've tried reconnecting the cable, no results.

3 hours ago, violentnumeric said:

Yep that's nvidia drivers for you. Every time you update/install drivers something goes wrong. All you can do is keep clean reinstalling the drivers until you stop noticing issues. People try to tell me AMD's drivers suck... let me tell you I never had so many fan and clock control issues as I did when I had my GTX 275, and then GTX 570s.

I'll try doing so, I'll keep ya'll updated.

I'd start by using MSi Afterburner instead

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

14 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

I'd start by using MSi Afterburner instead

Tried it yesterday after Cyberspirit's and Picklestine's comments. Same result. It accelerates the fans but it does not stop them.
Oddly enough, MSI Afterburner does apply changes to the fan speed without me having to reboot(only speeding them up though...).

I'm going to swap the motherboard with another one I have laying around here and see if the GPU fans work properly there. I doubt it has anything to do with the PCIE port, but, at this point I'm trying things just for the sake of it.

9 minutes ago, DoctorMckay said:

Tried it yesterday after Cyberspirit's and Picklestine's comments. Same result. It accelerates the fans but it does not stop them.
Oddly enough, MSI Afterburner does apply changes to the fan speed without me having to reboot(only speeding them up though...).

I'm going to swap the motherboard with another one I have laying around here and see if the GPU fans work properly there. I doubt it has anything to do with the PCIE port, but, at this point I'm trying things just for the sake of it.

You are keeping Afterburner running right? The program has to be running to use the fan curve.

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

1 minute ago, Tech Wizard said:

You are keeping Afterburner running right? The program has to be running to use the fan curve.

Yes, I keep it minimized to the tray, but it is running.

Yesterday I tried to manually uninstall and reinstall the GPU related drivers, nothing changed. I'll try using Display Driver Uninstaller today if the MB swap does not work.

5 minutes ago, DoctorMckay said:

Yesterday I tried to manually uninstall and reinstall the GPU related drivers, nothing changed. I'll try using Display Driver Uninstaller today if the MB swap does not work.

this is really weird i deffs though one of the solutions above would of fixed it, If I was you I would check bois make sure no weird fan control in there ( shouldn't be tho normally can only control ones plugged into fan headers) then try msi again with nothing else running. if that doesn't work and you really don't want to take it back to the store yet to get replaced. clean install windows and set bios back to default, install afterburner and hope for the best. best of luck my dude

I've tried the MB swap. Nothing. Trying the Display Driver Uninstaller once I get out of work.

I've contacted the shop where I bought the card, just in case, to ensure they will replace it if I wish to do so. Hoping the full driver uninstall thing works.

Just sent my GPU to the shop I bought it from asking for a replacement. I hope the new one works properly.

OT, but this sorta reminded me of my initial brush with the PowerColor RX VEGA64 Red Devil. I was looking at the fan curve at default and noticed that it registered '0', I was like, "Damn, did I fry the GPU core just now when I played a game?". I looked at the card in my case and was shocked to see that the fans were indeed still. I was thinking that RMA was in my horizon when I checked out the PowerColor site. Imagine my surprise that this was a design feature of the card, that when core temp dropped below 40C, the fans would stop spinning. I wished I'd bothered to read up on the Red Devil, damn near gave myself a heart attack!

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

The guy at the shop told me to come by. He flashed a new bios to the card and now it seems to work properly. Well, I would never have guessed that one.

How to fix this problem:
Step 1: Try everything else in this post.
Step 2: Download GPUZ
Step 3: Create a backup of your GPUs BIOS through GPUZ
Step 4: Download Nviflash
Step 5: Flash new BIOS to the GPU

Hoping this post helps someone in the future

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2018 at 2:29 AM, DoctorMckay said:

The guy at the shop told me to come by. He flashed a new bios to the card and now it seems to work properly. Well, I would never have guessed that one.

How to fix this problem:
Step 1: Try everything else in this post.
Step 2: Download GPUZ
Step 3: Create a backup of your GPUs BIOS through GPUZ
Step 4: Download Nviflash
Step 5: Flash new BIOS to the GPU

Hoping this post helps someone in the future

I'm running into this same issue but with the 1080 g1. 

On step 5 when you flash the new BIOS where did you find new bios for the card? I can't find any bios versions on Gigabyte's webpage.

EDIT: seems that you have to contact Gigabyte directly and wait for a response to get the BIOS. 

I'm trying a few different BIOS from techpowerup.com to see if I can fix it.