DAC/AMP for DT-990 + ModMic 5

Hello audio-people.

I just got my Beyerdynamic DT 990s (Black Edition) and my Mod Mic 5 today. The work pretty well, but I assume the next step is to get one of those fancy AMP/DAC combos to get the most out of my new headphones. :D 

There seem to be plenty of AMPs, but barely any DACs that also accept a 3.5mm mic input.

I mostly listen to Rock music and play a lot of games in case it matters and of course I want it to be as cheap as possible without sacrificing too much quality.

Any suggestions?

What is the ampedance of your pair? I am supposed to receive my DT 770 250 ohm with a Fiio e10k tonight, i'll try reporting back. You'll het better advice on Head-fi's forum tho.

DT 990 with Fiio e10k is a common combo.

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

On 11/4/2018 at 8:12 AM, Senzelian said:

but barely any DACs that also accept a 3.5mm mic input.

That would be an analog signal, which doesn’t require a dac. 

Hey thanks for being a ModMic customer :) - You don't need an amp/dac that accepts 3.5mm. To clean the mic signal you can use a simple USB sound card like the one we sell on our site. Outside that you have the Mayflower Arc and the Burson Play as two with built-in 3.5mm mic inputs. They are the only two I know of that are an "all in one" solution like that. However, frankly, a simple 10 dollar USB is plenty for the mic. You can leave the headphones plugged into your dac and leave the USB sound card for the mic only. Since the ModMic has a separate cable, there is no shared grounding issue in doing it this way.

Hope that helps!

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

8 hours ago, Hakka said:

That would be an analog signal, which doesn’t require a dac. 

4 hours ago, AAJoe said:

Hey thanks for being a ModMic customer :) - You don't need an amp/dac that accepts 3.5mm. To clean the mic signal you can use a simple USB sound card like the one we sell on our site. Outside that you have the Mayflower Arc and the Burson Play as two with built-in 3.5mm mic inputs. They are the only two I know of that are an "all in one" solution like that. However, frankly, a simple 10 dollar USB is plenty for the mic. You can leave the headphones plugged into your dac and leave the USB sound card for the mic only. Since the ModMic has a separate cable, there is no shared grounding issue in doing it this way.

Hope that helps!

The point behind the integrated mic input is cleaner cable management.
Otherwise, I'd need to route the two cables in different directions or add another device.

Anyway, I found a solution. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Senzelian said:

The point behind the integrated mic input is cleaner cable management.
Otherwise, I'd need to route the two cables in different directions or add another device.

Anyway, I found a solution. Thanks!

Care to share your solution?  I have the exact same pair of headphones and mic

17 hours ago, Dingus said:

Care to share your solution?  I have the exact same pair of headphones and mic

I bought a Creative SoundBlaster G5. That works quite well. It's probably not the greatest DAC/AMP, but it delivers a much better audio experience.