Upgrading Lenovo x315 Desktop PC

cpk03

First off sorry if I posted this in the wrong channel!

Hello everyone,

I have a still pretty decent Lenovo Erazer x315 and it's getting to the point where it needs some updated parts. I am looking to upgrade the graphics card in my machine and I would like to know a good graphics card to replace a MSI AMD Radeon R7 Graphics Card. I am beginner at pc part replacing so if you could explain exactly what would be a good graphics card around 100-300 dollars and what else I would need that would be great!

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What psu does it have?

For that budget the best option is probably a used gtx 1070.

HK380-16FP power supply with 280W

12 minutes ago, cpk03 said:

HK380-16FP power supply with 280W

Its it a normal atx psu? PIcs? If you don't want to swap the psu your best option is a 1060 and thats cutting it very close or a 1050ti.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its it a normal atx psu? PIcs? If you don't want to swap the psu your best option is a 1060 and thats cutting it very close or a 1050ti.

I am unsure, it's hard to understand what the power supply info says as it's mostly in chinese...

So would a 1060 work? And would it be a decent improvement from my current AMD R7?

I would recommend a 1060 6gb as 1070's are over $300.

GPU: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wz648d/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-d5-6g-video-card-gv-n1060d5-6gd

I would also recommend a new PSU. I suggest a 450-watt from EVGA.

PSU: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/GQX2FT/evga-bt-450w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-100-bt-0450-k1

Hope this helps.

1 minute ago, FaintLocket424 said:

I would recommend a 1060 6gb as 1070's are over $300.

GPU: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wz648d/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-d5-6g-video-card-gv-n1060d5-6gd

I would also recommend a new PSU. I suggest a 450-watt from EVGA.

PSU: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/GQX2FT/evga-bt-450w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-100-bt-0450-k1

Hope this helps.

The pair total to only $260 so well within your budget.

Do you know if the case supports ATX PSU sizes?

2 minutes ago, FaintLocket424 said:

The pair total to only $260 so well within your budget.

Do you know if the case supports ATX PSU sizes?

I'm sorry I'm really a noob :l how would I check or find out if my case would fit a atx?

I'm googling your PC (Lenovo Erazer x315) and i'm trying to find out what it is. Usually, it either will or won't support it.

Do you have a picture of how it is screwed into the case? That might help.

And how big it is (length, width, height)?

I'll keep looking.

Judging by these images of what is supposedly a Lenovo erazer x315 PSU I would say that it is ATX and it should work.

Image result for lenovo erazer x315 power supplyimage.jpeg.c8f24a0bde25a3c3624a4ab481d6b0fd.jpeg

3 minutes ago, FaintLocket424 said:

Judging by these images of what is supposedly a Lenovo erazer x315 PSU I would say that it is ATX and it should work.

Image result for lenovo erazer x315 power supplyimage.jpeg.c8f24a0bde25a3c3624a4ab481d6b0fd.jpeg

Would a two fan graphics card fit in the pc?

I have concluded doing some VERY sketchy measuring I think you should be able to fit up to a 300mm GPU in. The gpu is only 278mm long and therefore should fit.

1005875922_sketchymeasurements.png.1ef89cda3f7b055d3827e9f89ebdc40c.png

If you are worried it will not fit you can try this one. It's only 173mm long and will comfortably fit.

5 minutes ago, FaintLocket424 said:

If you are worried it will not fit you can try this one. It's only 173mm long and will comfortably fit.

Link?

Maybe. If you want to replace the CPU you may as well build an entirely new computer. You'd end up changing the:

CPU

Cooler

MBO

RAM

Storage

GPU

PSU

Case

(strikethrough means wouldn't need to replace)

You can of course reuse the storage but the case would probs be wanted to be changed so you can get some newer features of new cases and they don't cost much anyway.

46 minutes ago, FaintLocket424 said:

Maybe. If you want to replace the CPU you may as well build an entirely new computer. You'd end up changing the:

CPU

Cooler

MBO

RAM

Storage

GPU

PSU

Case

(strikethrough means wouldn't need to replace)

You can of course reuse the storage but the case would probs be wanted to be changed so you can get some newer features of new cases and they don't cost much anyway.

Sorry I keep asking more and more questions but you have really been helping me out and I deeply appreciate it! I have a AMD A8-7600 CPU, do you think it will work with the new graphics card and power supply?

I think that the A8 7600 will probably bottleneck the graphics card meaning you won't get all the performance that you pay for.

If you don't want to build a new PC, you're probably better off with a 1050 ti but they aren't as good. The 1050 ti won't bottleneck as much.

To be honest, the 1060 and 1050 ti will perform almost the same because of the CPU bottleneck.

If you buy a 1060 when you upgrade the CPU,  you will have much better performance.

2 hours ago, FaintLocket424 said:

I think that the A8 7600 will probably bottleneck the graphics card meaning you won't get all the performance that you pay for.

If you don't want to build a new PC, you're probably better off with a 1050 ti but they aren't as good. The 1050 ti won't bottleneck as much.

To be honest, the 1060 and 1050 ti will perform almost the same because of the CPU bottleneck.

If you buy a 1060 when you upgrade the CPU,  you will have much better performance.

Dang... Probably can't get a decent cpu within my budget :/

17 hours ago, FaintLocket424 said:

Even with the bottleneck, would I still see much better performance then my current graphics card?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 4:29 PM, FaintLocket424 said:

Yes.

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2018 at 4:03 AM, pstarlord said:

What is your monitor?  Does it have a Free Sync, or G-Sync option?  

Both Acers, 1080p. Extremely sorry about the late reply, I already got the Gtx 1060 but now I'm looking around for reasonable cpu's that work with the 1060