Laptop SSD Upgrade

R3ep3r

Hello fellow tech people!

As the title says, I am looking forward to do an upgrade to a laptop. 

In other words, I have an ASUS VivoBook X542UN(also known as Asus VivoBook F542UN) and it came with a 5400rpm HDD which is slow as hell compared with my Desktop(which has a SSD).

It is brand new(I've got it a few days ago) and the thing is that for installing a SSD(it has a m.2 slot with Sata3 connection) I have to send it to some specialized computer shop which has a collaboration with ASUS. In my situation the nearest shop(In romania) is at about 250km's away from me and this pretty sucks. I went to the guys from where I bought the laptop and they've told me that I'll have to give the laptop to them so they will send it to a shop in order to get this installation done BUT! (there's always a but LMAO) This operation is pretty simple. All you have to do is take off some screws(without any warranty marks), remove the front cover of the laptop and then install the SSD. 
It's worth sending the laptop and waiting ~ 15 to 20 days for a SSD to be installed (operation that takes 20-30 minutes) or should I do it by myself? 
ALSO the nearest shop that's specialized and in collaboration with ASUS doesn't have such a good reputation(in my country at least). They had many reports of poor quality repairs and jobs.

Any ideas/opinions?

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

I'm not a patient person, if i need to install the SSD, make sure that i'm not voiding the warranty.

After the warranty period is over, i will defenately install it myself no matter how, there are many tutorials to do this.

It's basically like installing a new memory, put it in the slot and off you go.

The hard part is not installing the ssd but, transfer the OS from the old hdd.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

30 minutes? give me a screwdriver and it will be installed in like 5 minutes.
haha

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

The hard part is not installing the ssd but, transfer the OS from the old hdd.

Macrium Reflect and second computer.

not as simple as cloning the drive, but the process going to take more time the the cloning part.

first you have to trim down your previous hdd so that the size is lower than the ssd. and then clone it.

my experience with drive cloning is 50-50, sometimes with the new drive not as stable as before.

when this happens, i do fresh installation.

if i were you i just install a fresh os on tha ssd, and leave the os on hdd untouch, incase the ssd failed you can boot from your previous hdd.

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

not as simple as cloning the drive, but the process going to take more time the the cloning part.

first you have to trim down your previous hdd so that the size is lower than the ssd. and then clone it.

my experience with drive cloning is 50-50, sometimes with the new drive not as stable as before.

when this happens, i do fresh installation.

if i were you i just install a fresh os on tha ssd, and leave the os on hdd untouch, incase the ssd failed you can boot from your previous hdd.

If you have problems with cloned drives, then you doing it wrong or using wrong software.

First rule - do not clone working system! Use second computer for clone or made bootable USB from Macrium Reflect (called Rescue USB) and made clone by booting program from USB when system is offline.

Second - sometimes image system to third hard drive and restore it to second one is better option. But it depends on program. And still the same rule - do not image your working system!

Imaging or cloning working system rely on VSS service, which I don't trust.