Upgrade from Dual Core to Quad Core

Go to solution Solved by Vegetable,

Yeah, should be good to go. It supports core 2 quads from what I can tell. And no, aside from clock speed they're the same chip basically. It's definitely not worth the massive price difference for an extra 170mhz core clock. There will definitely be a HUGE difference in any game that uses 4 cores (which is any remotely modern title.)

Current Specs:

-Intel 2 core duo e6750 @ 2.66ghz

-Gigabyte gt 1030 2gb gddr5
-4 GB of Ram

-450W Viotek PSU
-Motherboard Intel 0HN7XN from optiplex 380
-BIOS Dell Inc. A07 6/13/2012

So I've been looking around to find an upgrade from my old core 2 duo into something that will be compatible with my current motherboard, which I believe to be the intel 2 core quad q9550 2.83 GHz. I'm just making sure this is the right call and will actually vastly improve performance with my gt 1030 from my old cpu without the need to change my motherboard. Is this quad core good or should I look for duo cores that have similar clock speed? 

Also a side question, there is also the quad q9650 which is 3.00 GHz, only a 0.17 difference in clock speed and from what I've seen, a lot more expensive. I'm probably not going to get this but I was wondering if there is even a major difference in the two quad cores besides clock speed.

Yeah, should be good to go. It supports core 2 quads from what I can tell. And no, aside from clock speed they're the same chip basically. It's definitely not worth the massive price difference for an extra 170mhz core clock. There will definitely be a HUGE difference in any game that uses 4 cores (which is any remotely modern title.)

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

1 minute ago, Vegetable said:

Alright thanks for the quick answer!

Where are you buying from? I bought a core 2 quad from AliExpress, which is a Chinese market place. Very good for old CPUs because office companies and businesses that use servers dump their old PCs all the time, so you can extremely cheap CPUs if you are willing to wait like a month to get it. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

8 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Where are you buying from? I bought a core 2 quad from AliExpress, which is a Chinese market place. Very good for old CPUs because office companies and businesses that use servers dump their old PCs all the time, so you can extremely cheap CPUs if you are willing to wait like a month to get it. 

Well I was thinking ebay, which might not be the best place to get it, but there were 20-30 dollar cpus.

Really any of the Core 2 Quad chips compatible with your motherboard will help drastically with gaming performance over a Core 2 Duo. Find the best price to performance and buy that one. Maybe check out some of the Xeon CPU's? LGA 771 CPU's can be had cheap. 

Honestly, the best route would be to sell the LGA 775 stuff and invest into a budget LGA 1156 system as the prices between them are extremely close and you'll see miles better performance from something like a i5 750.

11 minutes ago, drewyah100 said:

Really any of the Core 2 Quad chips compatible with your motherboard will help drastically with gaming performance over a Core 2 Duo. Find the best price to performance and buy that one. Maybe check out some of the Xeon CPU's? LGA 771 CPU's can be had cheap. 

Honestly, the best route would be to sell the LGA 775 stuff and invest into a budget LGA 1156 system as the prices between them are extremely close and you'll see miles better performance from something like a i5 750.

I would do one better and upgrade to a Sandy Bridge i5 2500/i7 2600 Optiplex 790 Mini Tower.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

4 minutes ago, asand1 said:

I would do one better and upgrade to a Sandy Bridge i5 2500/i7 2600 Optiplex 790 Mini Tower.

I'm just getting into PC hardware so that's a bit too confusing to me ?

1 minute ago, firetrainer321 said:

I'm just getting into PC hardware so that's a bit too confusing to me ?

These links will show you the CPU's that belong to each socket. I5 2500 and I7 2600 are both socket 1155. These are 2nd generation intel Core CPU's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1156

Sandy Bridge Intel Core series:

i3 2 core/4 thread

i5 4 core/4 thread

i7 4 core/8 thread

Faster and more efficient by miles while still very cheap.

Dell Optiplex 790 fits a full size power supply and a good graphics cards. If you decide your Core 2 Quad isn't sufficient then it would be a really decent upgrade for the near future.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430