Looking for advice on upgrades

Hyper_Zero
Go to solution Solved by Eastman51,
2 minutes ago, Hyper_Zero said:

I think i've run into a bottlenecking issue with my CPU. I'm not 100% sure though, hence, why I'm here.

I was playing assassins creed origins and I've noticed, no matter how high or low I turn the setting, there's always lag.

Lag, like, below 20s mabey 40s...sometimes 50s in the empty desert.

I ran a benchmark and I ran it with the low preset all the way to max settings and still 20s, 40s, 50s

I'm not entirely sure if that's bottlenecking or not.

My specs...I mean they are listed in my profile, but I'll add 'em for convenience.

Resolution: 1080P

CPU: I5-7400

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 SSC

MB: MSI B150 *GAMING* M3

RAM: 32GB

Seperate issue: I want to upgrade my crappy WD blue and hitachi HDD, I've looked into getting a WB black, SSD, and M.2. Budget being an issue at the moment, what would you guys reccomend?

Seagate SSHDs are ok. Samsung SSDs are great. Toshiba HDDs are great. 

As for your lag, its hard to say. I had a similar issue in space engineers with my old i5-4670k. Ultra settings and low settings ran at 20fps max, while CPU usage was ~45% on both. I ended up just upgrading because I ran into the same issues in other games.

I think i've run into a bottlenecking issue with my CPU. I'm not 100% sure though, hence, why I'm here.

I was playing assassins creed origins and I've noticed, no matter how high or low I turn the setting, there's always lag.

I ran a benchmark and I ran it with the low preset all the way to max settings and still 20s, 40s, 50s

My specs...I mean they are listed in my profile, but I'll add 'em for convenience.

Seperate issue: I want to upgrade my crappy WD blue and hitachi HDD, I've looked into getting a WB black, SSD, and M.2. Budget being an issue at the moment, what would you guys reccomend?

2 minutes ago, Hyper_Zero said:

Seagate SSHDs are ok. Samsung SSDs are great. Toshiba HDDs are great. 

As for your lag, its hard to say. I had a similar issue in space engineers with my old i5-4670k. Ultra settings and low settings ran at 20fps max, while CPU usage was ~45% on both. I ended up just upgrading because I ran into the same issues in other games.

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

5 minutes ago, Hyper_Zero said:

-snip-

As far as your stuttering in game goes, what is your CPU usage while playing?

I mean, I was thinking round about what you did, and just upgrade. Of, course intel wouldn't make that easy, so I have to get a new MB as well. Thanks for the tips my dude!

Just now, imreloadin said:

As far as your stuttering in game goes, what is your CPU usage while playing?

uh, I have not checked that. Probably a good thing to do. I'm guessing like 60% ~ 80%. Not really sure though.

I think that the bottleneck may not be your cpu and gpu at all. If the game is laggy is probably due to the bad internet connection or your motherboard may be faulty. There also may be a problem with your BIOS/UEFI and probably, although this is rare, you need to check to see if there is any problems with your GPU's driver's compatibility with the game.

Just now, ErebusGamer16 said:

I think that the bottleneck may not be your cpu and gpu at all. If the game is laggy is probably due to the bad internet connection or your motherboard may be faulty. There also may be a problem with your BIOS/UEFI and probably, although this is rare, you need to check to see if there is any problems with your GPU's driver's compatibility with the game.

About that BIOS/UEFI, if that were to be the issue, how would I fix that? If it's to update the bios, I can do that, that's not hard.

update bios or even reset windows 10 :)

Im a Aussie gamer on half decent hardware......
desktop

i7 7700k 4.8ghz Msi ProCarbon Z270 gtx 1080 250gb samsung 850 evo 16gb ddr4 3000mhz ram 2tb wd black 1tb wd green

laptop:
Msi gs40
i7 6700hq 16gb ddr4 gtx 970m 128gb ssd 1tb ssd

Also specifically with assassins creed origins, the optimization is complete shit so you will get low frames no matter what.  There is probably still an issue though, what are your temps and cpu usages in game and in stress tests?

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

1 hour ago, Hyper_Zero said:

uh, I have not checked that. Probably a good thing to do. I'm guessing like 60% ~ 80%. Not really sure though.

I bet if you check it's at 100% and that's what is holding you back.

Open task manager before you start a game and play for a little bit. Then Alt+Tab out of the game to task manager and see what the CPU usage is.

So, for anyone comin here, I'm just gunna save money so I can get a better cooler/fans for my cpu and case, upgrade my cpu, Mb, and storage.