Upgrade CPU or GPU?

Alpha-Blue

Hi, 

I have a quick question. And since I'm asking for both my CPU and GPU I had to choose either of those forums, I decided to go with graphics card. So sorry if this is the wrong forum. Could not find the two together.

I have an i5-6600k (not overclocked) and a gtx 1070. I want to upgrade my pc for mainly gaming and streaming every now and then. Is it best to upgrade my CPU or my GPU? 

CPU i'm pretty sure, but you might want someone more experienced to answer that

2 minutes ago, Nigerian Tech Support said:

CPU i'm pretty sure, but you might want someone more experienced to answer that

Alright, appreciate the reply! I'll just have to wait for a more experienced person

Well the first thing you should do is overclock. All you will need is a good cooler and you can reuse it later when you upgrade. What games you play really matters. Some games will play and stream great with that setup. League of Legends and DOTA for example. Others might need a better CPU to stream. An i7 would be better but it really depends on the game, what resolution you play at are how much FPS you want (60,120,144?). If you have 1080p 60hz monitor then probably no need for a new GPU. But for 120hz or 4K you would need both.

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

Just now, Nigerian Tech Support said:

wElCoMe To ThE fOrUm BtW!

Are you a certified Windows technician ?

What is the primary use of your PC, I suspect it is gaming, by knowing that - what games you're focused on playing ? No reason on buying RTX 2080 if you're going to play League of legends and BO4 all day.

2 minutes ago, Nigerian Tech Support said:

Do I need to be? I have a well-paying job in scamming people over the phone helping people in trouble with their bank accounts.

Yes Yes, and you're not good at replying because I don't get notified unless you either tag me or use the reply button just chatting with girls over Facebook, because you're a lover maker, not like that guy Rahjib who only ask them for bobs and vegana pics

2 minutes ago, voiha said:

Yes Yes, and you're not good at replying because I don't get notified unless you either tag me or use the reply button just chatting with girls over Facebook, because you're a lover maker, not like that guy Rahjib who only ask them for bobs and vegana pics

Is this gooder?

Just now, Nigerian Tech Support said:

Is this gooder?

giphy.gif

Wow this topic derailed damn fast.

First a few questions:

1. Why do you want to upgrade?
  2. What do you want to accomplish with upgrading?
  3. What is your budget/location?
  4. What games do you play/stream?
  5. What resolution/refresh rate do you play at?

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

47 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Wow this topic derailed damn fast.

First a few questions:

1. Why do you want to upgrade?
  2. What do you want to accomplish with upgrading?
  3. What is your budget/location?
  4. What games do you play/stream?
  5. What resolution/refresh rate do you play at?

1. I have an 144hz monitor and I am unable to play most games on 144fps or more.

2. Playing at 144fps+, being able to play high end games at higher settings.

3. around 500 euros (really depends on what is needed for what I want) It's not like I need it now, I can just save up money if necessary 

4. Dead by Daylight, Fortnite, Rocket League, ARK are my main games ATM. I am getting issues with mostly Fortnite for some reason. And ARK is ARK. Dead by Daylight works fine on my current specs, so does Rocket League apart from some random bug in the game which drops my fps randomly in games. 

5. 1920x1080 144hz

59 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

first try some overclocks, otherwise get a second hand 7700k or upgrade to ryzen

Thanks! I'll try overclocking since thats what most people are saying.

Yea, definitely overclock and get a decent cooler, maybe around $50. Air cooling is fine. And if that doesn't work, definitely see if you can get a 7700K or 8700K. It should fix the bottleneck with your GPU and make streaming while gaming a lot easier

Graphic Design + Gaming Machine:

CPU: i7-8700 GPU: ASUS GTX 1060 6GB RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM CASE: Phantek P400 Tempered Glass

12 hours ago, Alpha-Blue said:

Thanks! I'll try overclocking since thats what most people are saying.

Yeah I pretty much agree with what he said. A 7700K will be your best bet if you don't want to do a full mobo upgrade and all that (granted your RAM can be reused). As far as GPU, your 1070 will be totally fine at 1080p 144Hz. Also, watch your CPU and GPU usage in something like MSI Afterburner or HWMonitor. If your CPU goes above 80% or so then you're definitely being CPU bottlenecked.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.