Buying new phone - OnePlus 6t vs Samsung s9+

Go to solution Solved by Darkseth,

Let me do it real quick, here the main differences, Pros, or special things to keep in Mind:

Oneplus 6t:

- King of Speed. This is the one, if you are a poweruser, that gets seizures, when anything lags even slightly.

- Inscreen fingerprint sensor. Not the fastest, but Samsung never had the fastest sensors anyway. This is at the Front, and somewhat "futuristic"

- NO Notification LED anymore. Wonder if that's a bad thing (with all this "digital wellbeeing" thing going on. Without a LED, you might not grab your phone so much, and focus on your Life?)

- Very very good optimized software. Optimized for speed, efficiency, battery Life, making user experience as intuitive and easy as possible. UI is stock android, with nice extras / features "under the hood", keeping a "clean look".

- 20w Charging.

- Oneplus is one of the fastest to deliver Major Updates. OP6 was the first one i think? Even the 2016 Oneplus 3/3t will get Android 9 Pie update, which makes this their 3rd Major Update. Samsung will not give you more than 2, i promise you that.

On Top of that: My also 2016 Galaxy S7 Edge got Oreo (august 2017) not before May 2018. This came 9 Months after Oreo launched. Oneplus 3/3t (also 2016 Phones) got Oreo in December 2017.

- Chance for 8gb Ram. Idk if even a poweruser will notice a difference to 6 atm. But OP reveiled a handy feature yesterday, an option where the Phone can load up "cached" files into the Ram. So big Apps like Games will start faster. This sounds similar to a Ram Disk on a Desktop. But pretty much exactly like what Intel Optane does. Speeding up Loading Times on a HDD, by adding Intel Optane Memory, which is nothing else than a SSD Cache.

- Oneplus devices are very easy to unlock / root etc, and to use Custom Roms without ANY cons. On Samsung phones, there might be issues with Samsung not releasing their Exynos Codes etc. 

Galaxy S9+:

- Feature King... sorry, this will hurt:

- 1440p+ resolution. Yes, beause Oled has 2 Subpixels per Pixel instead 3, the actual resolution is LOWER than the ppi let you assume. If you are sensitive enough, you can see 1440p beeing sharper than 1080p. (however, 1440p COULD drain battery ever so slightly more)

- SD Slot expansion

- Headphone Jack

- Qi Charging

- Stereo speakers

- Notification LED

- dedicated aproximitysensor / brightnes sensor at the Front (OP6t does that over the Front Camer i think?!)

- USB 3.1 speed, instead 2.0

- Samsung Phones tend to... somehow get "slower" over time later on. My S7 Edge ran like hell the first year. After 1.5 years~ it kinda started losing performance, more Lags, loading times etc. There are tons of users, reviewers etc who notice similar things on their S7. And also already starting on their S8 series.

Just on Paper, S9+ is the better "tech".

What goes for the Oneplus is basicly... Software experience. Vanilla android with their OxygenOS features + optimized for pure Speed + qutie fast Updates.

Also, Cusotm Roms are much easier on Oneplus, if you want some modifications.

I have an S7 Edge, and despite it shows some slow downs over time, it still works perfectly fine, Camera etc are still awesome, and it's awesome having almost every thinkable feature, and it is in my opinion the by FAR best phone i've ever had. I never had an Android phone (started with Motorola Milestone 2010) for longer than 24~ Months, i will be on 32 Months on November 5th. My OP 6t should be delivered on November 6th~.

No matter which of those phones you get, you will have one of the best phones that exist right now.

It really comes to preference. Do you want max speed, clean UI, fast updates etc? Oneplus probably. And from what i've read, even older Oneplus devices don't get slower, they still run like hell.

If you don't mind that bit performance degeneration after 2~ years, you're not such a heavy hardcore poweruser that's in for speed > all, and enjoy having all the features / better Specs, get the S9+, and enjoy. If you don't care about these speed optimizations thaaat much, S9+ would be considered the better overall Phone - because you don't have ANY other compromises at all.

Simply watch some Reviews from botch, maybe some new OP 6t vs. S9+ comparison videos, might help you decide.

Oh yea: Even tho i like Samsung's UI even.. and i would almost prefer it to stock Android (i really enjoy some of the features.. Alone that scrolling screenshot feature), one of the Reasons i'm a bit hyped for the Oneplus 6t, and i'm not just getting a Samsung:

i've had Samsung S7 Edge for almost 32 Months now. I kinda want a Chance, something "new". Not just something that feels like an older Brother.

And i would like to see for myself how OxygenOS compares, how the Performance stays for the next 1, 2 maybe 3 years.

Maybe i won't be as perfectly happy with teh OP6t as i thought. Maybe i will miss the 1440p screen if i even notice it. Maybe i will miss the headphone jack. Maybe i don't like the camera (it simply needs to be as good as the S7 Edge camera even in low light, then i'm happy), maybe i will miss things like Qi Charging, Notification LED, and i'll switch sometime 2019 again. Who knows ?

I am located in the UK, where the Samsung s9+ is currently selling for £540. The OnePlus 6t retails for £499 here and I do not know if it has enough to justify its price being only £40 lower than the s9, thoughts?

both are great phones, but this depends more on what you like the most. I want to get the 6t, but that's becouse dutch pricing is different.

The S9+ has a headphone jack and maybe a better camera, IDK. The OP 6T dropped the headphone jack but it should perform the same, and it has a lighter, closer to stock android ROM instead of samsung's crap (even the new stuff is bleh IMO, my brother has an S8+ and it's a great phone, but the UI is shite IMO). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

The S9+ has a headphone jack and maybe a better camera, IDK. The OP 6T dropped the headphone jack but it should perform the same, and it has a lighter, closer to stock android ROM instead of samsung's crap (even the new stuff is bleh IMO, my brother has an S8+ and it's a great phone, but the UI is shite IMO). 

Cheers for the reply, does the higher resolution screen make much of a difference? I have a 1080p screen right now and was curious as to how much it impacts the experience?

Just now, Jhitch19 said:

Cheers for the reply, does the higher resolution screen make much of a difference? I have a 1080p screen right now and was curious as to how much it impacts the experience?

not that much. oled and ips is a bigger difference tho. but both are oled, so it's a simular phone

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

not that much. oled and ips is a bigger difference tho. but both are oled, so it's a simular phone

Cheers mate, siding with the 6t for the fingerprint then, thanks a lot.

1 minute ago, Jhitch19 said:

Depends on the screen size. My 6 Plus has a 1080p screen, it's still razor sharp at 401ppi. Heck the standard 6, 6S, 7, and 8 are "only" 326 ppi and they're still sharp. Apparently my iPhone X (that I replaced the 6 Plus with, siblings now use that) is 458ppi but it's not noticeably sharper, though truetone + OLED makes for amazing colors. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Depends on the screen size. My 6 Plus has a 1080p screen, it's still razor sharp at 401ppi. Heck the standard 6, 6S, 7, and 8 are "only" 326 ppi and they're still sharp. Apparently my iPhone X (that I replaced the 6 Plus with, siblings now use that) is 458ppi but it's not noticeably sharper, though truetone + OLED makes for amazing colors. 

Nice one, cheers for the speedy reply all ?

10 minutes ago, Jhitch19 said:

I am located in the UK, where the Samsung s9+ is currently selling for £540. The OnePlus 6t retails for £499 here and I do not know if it has enough to justify its price being only £40 lower than the s9, thoughts?

S9+ is a great phone and overall a better choice than the 6t. But and it's a huge but, i value so much the software and how oneplus phones tend to work through the time that OP 6t would be an obvious choice for me.

I currently own a OP 5 and will maybe change it for the next OP, if they keep up the good work.

I'm still on the OnePlus 3T and it's great. Bet it'll last me another 2 years or so.

Let me do it real quick, here the main differences, Pros, or special things to keep in Mind:

Oneplus 6t:

- King of Speed. This is the one, if you are a poweruser, that gets seizures, when anything lags even slightly.

- Inscreen fingerprint sensor. Not the fastest, but Samsung never had the fastest sensors anyway. This is at the Front, and somewhat "futuristic"

- NO Notification LED anymore. Wonder if that's a bad thing (with all this "digital wellbeeing" thing going on. Without a LED, you might not grab your phone so much, and focus on your Life?)

- Very very good optimized software. Optimized for speed, efficiency, battery Life, making user experience as intuitive and easy as possible. UI is stock android, with nice extras / features "under the hood", keeping a "clean look".

- 20w Charging.

- Oneplus is one of the fastest to deliver Major Updates. OP6 was the first one i think? Even the 2016 Oneplus 3/3t will get Android 9 Pie update, which makes this their 3rd Major Update. Samsung will not give you more than 2, i promise you that.

On Top of that: My also 2016 Galaxy S7 Edge got Oreo (august 2017) not before May 2018. This came 9 Months after Oreo launched. Oneplus 3/3t (also 2016 Phones) got Oreo in December 2017.

- Chance for 8gb Ram. Idk if even a poweruser will notice a difference to 6 atm. But OP reveiled a handy feature yesterday, an option where the Phone can load up "cached" files into the Ram. So big Apps like Games will start faster. This sounds similar to a Ram Disk on a Desktop. But pretty much exactly like what Intel Optane does. Speeding up Loading Times on a HDD, by adding Intel Optane Memory, which is nothing else than a SSD Cache.

- Oneplus devices are very easy to unlock / root etc, and to use Custom Roms without ANY cons. On Samsung phones, there might be issues with Samsung not releasing their Exynos Codes etc. 

Galaxy S9+:

- Feature King... sorry, this will hurt:

- 1440p+ resolution. Yes, beause Oled has 2 Subpixels per Pixel instead 3, the actual resolution is LOWER than the ppi let you assume. If you are sensitive enough, you can see 1440p beeing sharper than 1080p. (however, 1440p COULD drain battery ever so slightly more)

- SD Slot expansion

- Headphone Jack

- Qi Charging

- Stereo speakers

- Notification LED

- dedicated aproximitysensor / brightnes sensor at the Front (OP6t does that over the Front Camer i think?!)

- USB 3.1 speed, instead 2.0

- Samsung Phones tend to... somehow get "slower" over time later on. My S7 Edge ran like hell the first year. After 1.5 years~ it kinda started losing performance, more Lags, loading times etc. There are tons of users, reviewers etc who notice similar things on their S7. And also already starting on their S8 series.

Just on Paper, S9+ is the better "tech".

What goes for the Oneplus is basicly... Software experience. Vanilla android with their OxygenOS features + optimized for pure Speed + qutie fast Updates.

Also, Cusotm Roms are much easier on Oneplus, if you want some modifications.

I have an S7 Edge, and despite it shows some slow downs over time, it still works perfectly fine, Camera etc are still awesome, and it's awesome having almost every thinkable feature, and it is in my opinion the by FAR best phone i've ever had. I never had an Android phone (started with Motorola Milestone 2010) for longer than 24~ Months, i will be on 32 Months on November 5th. My OP 6t should be delivered on November 6th~.

No matter which of those phones you get, you will have one of the best phones that exist right now.

It really comes to preference. Do you want max speed, clean UI, fast updates etc? Oneplus probably. And from what i've read, even older Oneplus devices don't get slower, they still run like hell.

If you don't mind that bit performance degeneration after 2~ years, you're not such a heavy hardcore poweruser that's in for speed > all, and enjoy having all the features / better Specs, get the S9+, and enjoy. If you don't care about these speed optimizations thaaat much, S9+ would be considered the better overall Phone - because you don't have ANY other compromises at all.

Simply watch some Reviews from botch, maybe some new OP 6t vs. S9+ comparison videos, might help you decide.

Oh yea: Even tho i like Samsung's UI even.. and i would almost prefer it to stock Android (i really enjoy some of the features.. Alone that scrolling screenshot feature), one of the Reasons i'm a bit hyped for the Oneplus 6t, and i'm not just getting a Samsung:

i've had Samsung S7 Edge for almost 32 Months now. I kinda want a Chance, something "new". Not just something that feels like an older Brother.

And i would like to see for myself how OxygenOS compares, how the Performance stays for the next 1, 2 maybe 3 years.

Maybe i won't be as perfectly happy with teh OP6t as i thought. Maybe i will miss the 1440p screen if i even notice it. Maybe i will miss the headphone jack. Maybe i don't like the camera (it simply needs to be as good as the S7 Edge camera even in low light, then i'm happy), maybe i will miss things like Qi Charging, Notification LED, and i'll switch sometime 2019 again. Who knows ?

amazing reply, I was also considering either 6T or s9+, thanks for your answer

On 10/30/2018 at 4:44 PM, Darkseth said:

On 10/30/2018 at 2:36 PM, Jhitch19 said:

where did you find s9+ for £540?

On 11/6/2018 at 6:43 PM, Dayfly said:

where did you find s9+ for £540?

It was on Amazon, not sure if it still is, I've ordered my 6t now though ?

On 10/30/2018 at 5:44 PM, Darkseth said:

Alone that scrolling screenshot feature

OnePlus has that aswell