Censorship

Hey guys, I was gonna post this in networking, but since the possibility of how off topic this can be, here it is.

so this issue is something I've had recent experience with, I used to live in US, then AU, and now Indonesia.

I realized how messed up the internet here is, plenty of censorship, blocked domains - and I'd like to say propagandas.

I only say this of course, because they put up this wonderful image

2it09ee.jpg

It stated there "to provide internet sehat" that means healthy internet, under that it says

"apabila anda merasa situs yang dikunjungi tidak bertentangan dengan program pemerintah, silahkan hubungi customer support kami"

which means: If you think the site you're visiting does not conflict against the government, please contact our customer support.

am I the only one who think this is messed up?

I mean, I still get through anyway, but I mean - am I wrong in the idea of this is unacceptable?

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

no you are not, some countries do this so they don't know how other countries lives are ie North Korea

Censorship is generally a bad thing yes... It's definitely a problem when they say, "does not conflict against the government," That's almost a sure fire sign that it will be abused as now anything going against their views should be censored... I'd go riot in the streets right now if I were there; however that doesn't actually matter so I guess cry about censorship... (Move to some awesome country instead)

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Censorship is generally a bad thing yes... It's definitely a problem when they say, "does not conflict against the government," That's almost a sure fire sign that it will be abused as now anything going against their views should be censored... I'd go riot in the streets right now if I were; however that doesn't actually matter so I guess cry about censorship... (Move to some awesome country instead)

so your answer to something unacceptable is not to change it but to just move from this issue? Not exactly the best thing to do..

no you are not, some countries do this so they don't know how other countries lives are ie North Korea

yea it's horrible here, dunno why i even agreed to go here in the first place :\

Censorship is generally a bad thing yes... It's definitely a problem when they say, "does not conflict against the government," That's almost a sure fire sign that it will be abused as now anything going against their views should be censored... I'd go riot in the streets right now if I were there; however that doesn't actually matter so I guess cry about censorship... (Move to some awesome country instead)

I agree, there's some sites that only harbors articles and what not and they're blocked, it's pretty bad

so your answer to something unacceptable is not to change it but to just move from this issue? Not exactly the best thing to do..

it's pretty bad here, if ppl riot, they'll just either shoot you with tear gas and those clay bullets or just shoot you outright and say it was "an accident"

it's pretty bad here, if ppl riot, they'll just either shoot you with tear gas and those clay bullets or just shoot you outright and say it was "an accident"

wow now that's pretty shitty

Sadly there's nothing you really can do... What exactly is the course of action? I mean here in the states they say call your congressman, and we all know how far that's ever gotten anyone, and that's the good end.. In other counties it's possible for it to be far worse.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Sadly there's nothing you really can do... What exactly is the course of action? I mean here in the states they say call your congressman, and we all know how far that's ever gotten anyone...

well as an individual it makes sense.. if you have the funds and willing to pay all the taxes associated with it

I'm on the fence with censorship,  It's a complicated subject because to understand why it is sometimes necessary you have to understand rather complicated psychological concepts and rationalization. It is not a simple case of "I should be allowed to access what ever I want".  I do believe that people should have the freedom to choose what they wish to watch and what they don't, however some people aren't capable of protecting themselves from specific content for many different reasons, in this case censorship has a role.  The problem is not just finding the balance, the line that says this is too far, but also getting people to understand why the line is there in the first place. 

I don't think governments should be allowed to censor the net, but certainly groups like the TGA (Australian version of the FDA) should be able to appeal to the courts so they can shut down the dangerous sites like this piece of shit garbage.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm on the fence with censorship,  It's a complicated subject because to understand why it is sometimes necessary you have to understand rather complicated psychological concepts and rationalization. It is not a simple case of "I should be allowed to access what ever I want".  I do believe that people should have the freedom to choose what they wish to watch and what they don't, however some people aren't capable of protecting themselves from specific content for many different reasons, in this case censorship has a role.  The problem is not just finding the balance, the line that says this is too far, but also getting people to understand why the line is there in the first place. 

I don't think governments should be allowed to censor the net, but certainly groups like the TGA (Australian version of the FDA) should be able to appeal to the courts so they can shut down the dangerous sites like this piece of shit garbage.

How is that garbage?

You dont want censorship, but you do want censorship for stuff you dont agree with? Seems pretty moronic to me.

maybe I'm giving people too much credits to realize when something is utter bs and that we should be able to connect and communicate with whomever we want.

I can see why sites like that one would be "dangerous" - but wouldn't that kinda be obvious that we have vaccinations that are backed by science and not just a syringe

filled with water?

How is that garbage?

You dont want censorship, but you do want censorship for stuff you dont agree with? Seems pretty moronic to me.

you clearly don't understand science.

maybe I'm giving people too much credits to realize when something is utter bs and that we should be able to connect and communicate with whomever we want.

I can see why sites like that one would be "dangerous" - but wouldn't that kinda be obvious that we have vaccinations that are backed by science and not just a syringe

filled with water?

that's my point, mothers to be who are scared and looking for advice could and are being lead astray by that site.  the censorship is needed to protect those who are vulnerable, not those who are smart enough to see why it is BS.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

you clearly don't understand science.

that's my point, mothers to be who are scared and looking for advice could and are being lead astray by that site.  the censorship is needed to protect those who are vulnerable, not those who are smart enough to see why it is BS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanny_state

It is a parents descision to get their children vaccinated or not. Have you seen the huge list of side effects on normal vaccinations?

Youre saying that the only information out there should be information promoting things that the government deems "safe"?

I'm only in favor of censorship on the internet in cases that make sense. I.E. you have a little kid and you don't want them browsing 4chan. That is a perfectly sensible thing to block. But for the average adult, I'm strictly against your ISP or government playing thought police. They aren't your parents and should butt out of your personal life. If anything, they should focus more on the idiots that love infecting your PC and prosecute them to the fullest extent to the law. The death penalty should be mandatory for stupid crap like conduit search.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanny_state

It is a parents descision to get their children vaccinated or not. Have you seen the huge list of side effects on normal vaccinations?

Youre saying that the only information out there should be information promoting things that the government deems "safe"?

I didn't say that at all.   I'm saying the only information out there should be correct, not pseudo science, not misleading cherry picked quotes and certainly not advice based on anecdotal evidence that will ultimately kill a child.

It's not about the parent having the right to immunize or not, it's about the parent having access to properly researched and tested information to make that decision.