Ubuntu ethernet speeds much worse than Windows

On Windows, i am getting around 85mbps, but on Linux, i am getting 9mbps.  Even WiFi on Linux is faster than Ethernet on Linux- on Wifi i am getting over 100mbps

9 minutes ago, RMSONE01634 said:

On Windows, i am getting around 85mbps, but on Linux, i am getting 9mbps.  Even WiFi on Linux is faster than Ethernet on Linux- on Wifi i am getting over 100mbps

There's so little information in your post I don't know where to begin.  You don't even ask a question.

I guess I'll start with the absolute basics: What is your actual question?  What have you done so far?  What hardware is involved?  What drivers have been updated, if any?

Why is my Ethernet speeds so much worse on Ubuntu than Windows?

I have tried to update the ethernet drivers on my Asus B150 Pro Gaming MB but that did little to help.

Are your speed comparisons drawn between the same computer?  Is this a recent Ubuntu install over a computer that used to run Windows?  Have you checked the speed and duplex your NIC is negotiating at?  Also, try changing your DNS server to something like 8.8.8.8 and see if it makes a difference.

Well it looks like the built-in driver for your NIC is not very good (which is rare, especially for intel NICs), so you will have to download the one provided by Intel. Please take a look at this post with instruction on how to install a driver from Intel - https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/474035.

1 minute ago, raxbg said:

Well it looks like the built-in driver for your NIC is not very good (which is rare, especially for intel NICs), so you will have to download the one provided by Intel. Please take a look at this post with instruction on how to install a driver from Intel - https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/474035.

Curious as to why you're drawing this conclusion.  Or assumption.

2 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Is this a recent Ubuntu install over a computer that used to run Windows?

I installed it last week, and just used Wifi because of this.  They were both from the same computer which is dual booted with Windows.  I dont know how to check the speed or duplex

How do you know the speed is slow? What client/browser/download/game is telling you it is slow?

Curious as to why you're drawing this conclusion.  Or assumption.

Because quick googling returned mostly threads about issues with this driver. I have not done much research, nor do I have experienced the issue.

Just now, raxbg said:

Because quick googling returned mostly threads about issues with this driver. I have not done much research, nor do I have experienced the issue.

I see.  All in all it really doesn't hurt to update the driver with one from the manufacturer on a desktop.  It's something to try.

When i did a test on Speedtest.net it showed this.  The Upload speeds are the same but not the download

Just now, TechyBen said:

How do you know the speed is slow? What client/browser/download/game is telling you it is slow? 

Do a real world test instead then. See what speeds you get on Steam/direct downloads or something. :)

PS, what internet adaptor are you using for the wired connection? PCI, USB or on motherboard?

3 minutes ago, RMSONE01634 said:

When i did a test on Speedtest.net it showed this.  The Upload speeds are the same but not the download

Traditionally on consumer network connections upload speeds are far less than download speeds (maximums) so it still wouldn't surprise me if you had an auto-negotiate issue with speed or duplex.

I see.  All in all it really doesn't hurt to update the driver with one from the manufacturer on a desktop.  It's something to try.

Also, maybe just do a kernel update to the latest stable mainline version? As far as I remember Ubuntu runs relatively old kernels, doesn't hurt to try a more recent one. Does Ubuntu have repos with pre-built mainline kernels?

2 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Do a real world test instead then.

1.1MB/S on Steam do download Insurgency for Ethernet

14MB/S on Wifi

Almost want to say do an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade if they haven't done it already.  Unsure how much you know about Linux @RMSONE01634

I would still suggest checking speed and duplex though, because if you're negotiating down in speed, that's going to be your culprit there.  Even then it could be related to drivers.

I guess I agree with the above then, probably a driver problem. My skills are exhausted here. :( 

Guys, don't forget that he is comparing the same hardware, with the Windows drivers and he gets good speeds. This means that whatever he uses for tests, should yield similar results in Linux. If he is getting 85mbps down on Windows using speedtest, it must be relatively the same on Linux as well. Which is why it must be a driver issue or something that he did to his network configuration in Linux, without realizing it :D 

Just now, PineyCreek said:

Almost want to say do an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade if they haven't done it already.  Unsure how much you know about Linux @RMSONE01634

I know almost nothing about Linux but the other forums i looked on told me to do this

2 minutes ago, RMSONE01634 said:

I know almost nothing about Linux but the other forums i looked on told me to do this

Basic combo command for updating.  Gets an updated package list based on your current software and then starts the upgrade process for those downloads. At least when using APT as opposed to YUM as opposed to any GUI flavor, etc.  I only know these basics because of working with VMs at work for so long.  Thought Windows 10's occasional incompetency is encouraging me to move on for everything but PC gaming.

11 minutes ago, raxbg said:

maybe just do a kernel update to the latest stable mainline version?

I tried to do a kernal update using https://www.wikihow.com/Update-Ubuntu-Kernel

but it said

sh: 1: cd: can't cd to /home/ubuntu/.cache/ukuu/v4.19/amd64

Updating GRUB menu
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-38-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-38-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-29-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-29-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.elf
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found Windows 10 on /dev/sda1
done