Ubuntu 18.04 with 4GB RAM

anyone experience with such configuration ? I wonder if 4GB of RAM is enough for basic stuff like browsing websites, watching Youtube

Lately, I have noticed that the minimum that you should have with most web browsers, even on Linux, is 2GB in a 32-bit distro, and 3GB in a 64-bit distro, if that helps.

if you want, you can always use Lubuntu or Xubuntu which are less demanding. Try not to use chrome with 4gb of ram as chrome is chrome.

I still dream of building my own toolkit, with direct compatibility with both GTK and QT/QML, but much lighter, and with a similar philosophy which Budgie and it's parent distro, Solus, have.

Ubuntu with Gnome is pretty bloated, you shouldn't however have any problems. But if you are in need, Kubuntu has around 500MBs less RAM usage

On 10/28/2018 at 9:45 PM, Lukyp said:

Ubuntu with Gnome is pretty bloated, you shouldn't however have any problems. But if you are in need, Kubuntu has around 500MBs less RAM usage

Once Budgie is re-written in QT, we shall see who is the winner here.

9 minutes ago, moriel5 said:

Once Budgie is re-written in QT, we shall see who is the winner here.

It'll still be some guy running a 2004 version of Slack, using an asciiart driver to watch youtube in a 1024*768 terminal, ttys 2-6 will be disabled to save on wasted ram, even PS1 will be reduced to ">" 'cos anything more is just pure indulgence.

Maybe, I'll test it out once it comes to that, with no terminals disabled (just not logged in anything other than TTY7), with the regular drivers for whatever I'll use then (probably either an Intel iGPU or an AMD dGPU), running a Gamers Nexus video at 1080p@60Hz on (probably) a 1200p 60Hz Samsung panel (I still need to get around to repairing the one I got for free).

Edit: Now I understood what you had meant, @Ralphred.

Argh, you'll be fine, be sure to have a proper swap partition though, none of this 512M nonsense, 1 to 2x RAM proper.

8 minutes ago, Ralphred said:

Argh, you'll be fine, be sure to have a proper swap partition though, none of this 512M nonsense, 1 to 2x RAM proper.

On my desktop, I use a 2GB swap partition (6GB of RAM), on my laptop I use none (I have 8GB of RAM, and I do not want to use swap unless I have at least a 1.5TB hard drive (or an SSD plus an HDD).

It's more about safety, I don't even enable swap by default on my system, it's there, and I do if I'm compiling something stupid like Chrome or LLVM, but the reason it's there is to act as an overflow when you DO need more. If you don't like the idea of losing a large(ish) % of your storage to something that will never get used, don't have a partition, but set up a swap file, that way you can extend it (or shrink it) risk free if you find yourself needing to.

There used to be the "1xRam minimum" for hibernation, not sure if this applies anymore, might want to look into that if you want hibernate...

9 hours ago, Ralphred said:

It's more about safety, I don't even enable swap by default on my system, it's there, and I do if I'm compiling something stupid like Chrome or LLVM, but the reason it's there is to act as an overflow when you DO need more. If you don't like the idea of losing a large(ish) % of your storage to something that will never get used, don't have a partition, but set up a swap file, that way you can extend it (or shrink it) risk free if you find yourself needing to.

There used to be the "1xRam minimum" for hibernation, not sure if this applies anymore, might want to look into that if you want hibernate...

I'd actually like to make a swap file, I just haven't gotten around to checking how to make one (I had more important things to check).

Thanks, I'll look into whether I'll need to change any variables in Solus when I have the time, and I think I'll follow that way.