What about VIA ?

Void Master

Hi guys, do you believe that via could do something to get back in the "CPU wars" it was in ? ( I know they weren't good.)

I think if they could catch up in one market segment like low powered laptops , they would be an excellent hit for both amd and intel.(VIA CPUs are very power efficient)

Then move to mini pcs ,and mid ranged laptops and desktops.

That would be awesome and then maybe we could have a third option away for the ryzen and core nonsence.( Not that nonsence though)

I know this would be a challenge especially that via needs to make it's own chipset.

But if they move quickly they could do something .

What do you think ?

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

I think VIA trying to make higher end products is like honda trying to make a pickup truck

My honda mows the lawn very well thank you. 

However on-topic! Via have licences out their x86 licence to a chinese company which make pretty decent CPUs for the money. Can't wait for Linus to test them, they have around the same IPC as AMD FX, so not really too far behind for a new company, and competitive on wattage and price. 

https://fuse.wikichip.org/news/733/zhaoxin-launches-their-highest-performance-chinese-x86-chips/

Right now they beat the Intel Atom in terms of performance w/ 8-cores. 

2 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

to a chinese company

Ah yes, spyware built right into the CPU. Think Superfish was bad? You ain't seen nothin' yet

(humor.....I hope)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 hours ago, Void Master said:

[...].(VIA CPUs are very power efficient)[...]

I'm not particularly familiar so I have to ask... are they?  Or do they just not use much power (but have terrible performance and thus actually poor efficiency)?

I have to assume there's a reason they don't compete.  Either they don't do x86 or they're just not interested or capable of putting out a complete desktop platform like Intel and AMD.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours ago, emosun said:

I think VIA trying to make higher end products is like honda trying to make a pickup truck

You were saying? ?

USC80HOT012E021001.png

“For if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well.” 
― Barack Obama

Tech:

Daily Driver: MacBook Pro 15" TB (mid-2018), Intel Core i7-8850H, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz, 512 GB SSD, AMD Radeon Pro 560XWeight lifting: Dell Alienware 15 R4, Intel Core i7-8750H, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz SK Hynix, Nvidia GTX 1070 on 15" 1080p TN Gsync 120Hz, Intel Pro 7600p PCIe NVMe 256 GB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 15" 1920x1080 TN Gsync 120Hz, Windows 10 Pro, Fedora 30, K.L, P.OS. The Home Panel: Samsung C34H892, 34" Ultra Wide 3440x1440p, VA, 60Hz.

Tumblr - Riot-Company, CA

VIA have some market in Asia, i would honestly love to get my hands on a chip and a board just to be that bastard that fanboys the 3rd option nobody knows even exists xD 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I honestly haven't seen a VIA CPU since the mid 2000s.

Everything you guys are talking about is blowing my mind, since I've had no idea!

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

9 hours ago, emosun said:

Thanks for reminding me that the Ridgeline still exists for some reason.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

15 hours ago, emosun said:

no i was finished with the statement

But it's cute, isn't it? Almost like a baby pickup truck. ?

But back 2 topic, it would be interesting to see another player on the CPU market. Right now it's practically AMD for price/performance ratio and Intel for performance. Unless you got something that relies on either one of them, it's kinda the bottomline.

Zhaoxin could have an impact in the ULV market first I think. And that would be very interesting to watch because that's one of the biggest markets out there: Laptops.

In regards of integrated malware, we'll have to see but if you want to play with the big ones as a company, you'd be very careful with something like that. And in the end, every CPU is made in China, isn't it?

They certainly got the infrastructure to pull it off so it's interesting to watch what they'll come up with next. But I do hope they'll put some Cyrix stickers in the packaging. Retro alert and such.

Someone in the comments here linked geek bench results: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/277633-zhaoxin-shows-off-new-8-core-kx-6000-x86-cpu-at-3ghz-built-on-16nm-finfet

“For if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well.” 
― Barack Obama

Tech:

Daily Driver: MacBook Pro 15" TB (mid-2018), Intel Core i7-8850H, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz, 512 GB SSD, AMD Radeon Pro 560XWeight lifting: Dell Alienware 15 R4, Intel Core i7-8750H, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz SK Hynix, Nvidia GTX 1070 on 15" 1080p TN Gsync 120Hz, Intel Pro 7600p PCIe NVMe 256 GB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 15" 1920x1080 TN Gsync 120Hz, Windows 10 Pro, Fedora 30, K.L, P.OS. The Home Panel: Samsung C34H892, 34" Ultra Wide 3440x1440p, VA, 60Hz.

Tumblr - Riot-Company, CA

On 10/27/2018 at 11:06 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm not particularly familiar so I have to ask... are they?  Or do they just not use much power (but have terrible performance and thus actually poor efficiency)?

I have to assume there's a reason they don't compete.  Either they don't do x86 or they're just not interested or capable of putting out a complete desktop platform like Intel and AMD.

VIA make super low power 1ghz chips mostly, they are very cost effective and are relatively okay with power efficiency.  

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

• 2 months later...

Not opening a new thread since I DID read the guideline ;)

To the topic -

Having built my first PC with via 486 (yes Im old) I would LOVE to see an LTT episode on this. As far as I could find data online,  there is no plan to take this outside of the Chinese market.