Is my router dying?

Steve.604

Past few weeks I've been having consistent drops on my internet connection and wired network devices

Youtube, Netflix and Amazon video will randomly stop, pause or drop in quality. This is consistent in any streamed content.

If I cast my Laptop screen via Chrome Cast it will drop connection or resolution.

Any one of 4 security cameras will drop connection fairly randomly, and after they drop they just constantly connect and reconnect until I reset the network and the camera.

These things seem to happen on wired and wireless connections

I have a netgear nighthawk r7000 router, it seems to run very hot. I have 1 other wired switch in my network I've swapped out with no change.

If it is my router is it worth getting a higher end router?

I have 4 HD IP security camera, running on 3 feeds around my house. 5 PC's, including a Plex server I allow a couple friends to stream from, as well I potentially have 2 4k netflix streams at any given time.

Plus all the random game consoles, phones tablets, smart home devices in a very techy house hold.

Is this a lot of load for a router, really not sure have the work, but have seen 4 core routers and dual core routers, are the 4 core worth the money?

Thanks for any advice

First check that your devices are connected to the 5Ghz network, (802.11ac, yes I know it is called Wi-Fi 5 now), and that you have a stable internet connection, this can be achieved by connecting a computer via ethernet directly to your modem. If you are connected via 2.4Ghz (802.11n in task manager) that could be the source of your issue, as 2.4 Ghz only practically maxes out at 20 to 30 Mbps which is not enough to sustain multiple 4k streams. (P.S. what is your internet speed)

Also whether more cores is worth it depends on how you use your computers. (P.S. level with me, do you understand the concept of a core?)

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Wireless devices with AC connect on AC, 

I'm leaning towards the internet connection not being my problem based on the similar internal Network problems.

Most anything that doesn't move with an Ethernet port is on a wired connection.  And I have problems with Netflix etc on wired devices.

My internet can support 2 4k streams as well. I also stream 4k internally and have similar issues. With the Plex server and my Nvidia shield both on wired connections.

My understanding is more cores will allow for more processes to be completed at once?

From what I've read people say it's not worth it or needed for basic routing. Cores on a router have more to do with QoS type things (which I have disabled in an attempt to eliminate as an issue) but I don't know. The internet is full of conflicting information.

Basically I'm wondering is it possible to overload a router? Is it possible I've just reached the upper limit of what my router can handle and that's why I'm having problems? Or has it just failed and started glitching?

Does my application justify an expensive 4 core router. Or is that just marketing hype and any basic router with AC will do the same thing.

Not looking to spend a lot of money if I don't have to.

I've even considered just using my router as an access point and using my ISP supplied router to control my internet.