Advice on changing to aftermarket cooler & warranty

FK2tame

Hello, currently i have Palit GTX1070 Dual Fans (3 years warranty, started from March 2018) and i just ordered and aftermarket cooler (Arctic Accelero Xtreme III) because i want cooler temp & lesser noise.

The cooler has arrived & I'm in between installing the cooler or not. Will it void my warranty? I'm interested with the aftermarket cooler because I want to reach cooler temp for my gpu (currently if gaming my gpu will reach 80° and the fan is so loud, and i will be downgrading my build size into sff build)

in the US, no. what WILL void your warranty is a botched installation where you cause damage through carelessness or negligence.

your mileage may vary.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

26 minutes ago, FK2tame said:

Hello, currently i have Palit GTX1070 Dual Fans (3 years warranty, started from March 2018) and i just ordered and aftermarket cooler (Arctic Accelero Xtreme III) because i want cooler temp & lesser noise.

The cooler has arrived & I'm in between installing the cooler or not. Will it void my warranty? I'm interested with the aftermarket cooler because I want to reach cooler temp for my gpu (currently if gaming my gpu will reach 80° and the fan is so loud, and i will be downgrading my build size into sff build)

As long as you don't need to remove any of those annoying little stickers then how would they know? If you fit the aftermarket cooler and then 6 months down the line the card dies you would just refit the stock cooler before sending it back to them.

If you do need to remove any of those little stickers then it probably will void your warranty and you will probably have issues (whether the law is on your side or not).

Which one of the sticker that will void the warranty? Is it the red circle? How about the sticker in the yellow circle? (that have screw underneath it) if i damage that sticker will it void the warranty too?

IMG_20181026_110921.jpg

1 hour ago, FK2tame said:

Which one of the sticker that will void the warranty? Is it the red circle? How about the sticker in the yellow circle? (that have screw underneath it) if i damage that sticker will it void the warranty too?

IMG_20181026_110921.jpg

My understanding is that removing any of those stickers circled would void the warranty, and I guess you would need to remove at least one, maybe two of those to fit an aftermarket cooler.

If it was me, and I wanted to install an aftermarket cooler, I would probably still go ahead with the switch but beforehand I would run as many different stress tests and benchmarks on the card as possible to make sure there is definitely nothing wrong with it.

If there are no problems with the card out of the box fresh from the factory and you take reasonably good care of it then it will almost certainly work fine for the duration of the warranty period anyway.

But there is still the element of risk there which you may not be comfortable with. It's a judgment call really.

I know that's maybe not the concrete advice you were looking for, but hopefully it helps a little.

17 hours ago, FK2tame said:

Cheaper method:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/926301-2-noctua-fans-on-a-gtx-1080ti-results/

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/131944-two-120mm-case-fans-to-gpu/

All you need is a few 120's.

Edited by kingknightrider
Compounded post.

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards

You *SHOULD* be able to maintain your GPU (which means thorough cleaning, replacing Thermal pads, and TIM) which means disassembling the cooler is required. There should be no problem with removing or otherwise destroying the stickers circled in Yellow HOWEVER, the sticker with the serial number on it does not need to be removed for maintenance to be performed and is an identifier of the card in case RMA is needed and the card is completely electrically dead.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

You could also do the cooler upgrade and add some sound dampening foam to case if too loud.

Still the most inexpensive and least damaging method is to just replace the stock shroud and fans with 120's mm case fans.

Leaving the heat sink intact then zip tie two 120s over it and either power from the motherboard, molex or through fan controller.

Also if sound is important to you -you could probably get a case with sound dampning foam like the Silverstone Kublai Atx cases.

Specifically model number KL07B.

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards