Cherry MX Color

Stoigeboiii

Can someone explain what all the different colors mean for the mechanical keyboards?

My current keyboard was bought in middle school and was on a budget. Now I am in college and have some money to spend. Trying to figure out what the colors really mean. I know the on Linus Tech Tips they always say Cherry MX Blue. 

If you have any recommendations that would be amazing, also if it has good ergonomics to avoid problems in the future, like carpal tunnel, arthritis, and etc. 

Thanks! 

Scroll down, there's a table explaining the observed Cherry MX variants. 

Clicky means it produces a sound on actuvation, and there's a tactile bump. Tactile means there's a silent activation, but there's a tactile bump. Linear means silent activation and no tactile bump. 

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX

:)

This page is very helpful and explains everything you really need to know about mechanical switches: https://www.pcgamer.com/best-mechanical-switches-for-gaming/

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

The Cherry MX colors are just specific products from a single manufacture. It's better to think in types of switches, of which there are 3 main types: Linear, Tactile, and Clicky. (There are 2 types of clicky, click jacket and click bar)

This is best resource for all that: https://input.club/the-comparative-guide-to-mechanical-switches/

It will show what switches fall into what category and even gives force graphs for each switch.

3 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

This page is very helpful and explains everything you really need to know about mechanical switches: https://www.pcgamer.com/best-mechanical-switches-for-gaming/

The idea of a "Gaming switch" is nonsense. From the article itself:

"There is no such thing the best switch for gaming. While it’s generally agreed upon that mechanical keyboards offer superior durability and performance, the choice of what to purchase depends entirely on your preference."

My recommendation is even if you like a stiff keyboard black 50cn is too much for repetitive stuff like gaming. So I would consider brown/red/blue.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Posture and breaks are more important than the switch type you use. Don't fall into thinking anything differently.

Don't bother researching to see which switch type is right for you either. It's good to see what the differences are, but you have to try them in person to get a feel for them.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, geo3 said:

That website gives details about the actual key switch, and that's what I wanted the OP to look at.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

12 hours ago, Stoigeboiii said:

Can someone explain what all the different colors mean for the mechanical keyboards?

My current keyboard was bought in middle school and was on a budget. Now I am in college and have some money to spend. Trying to figure out what the colors really mean. I know the on Linus Tech Tips they always say Cherry MX Blue. 

If you have any recommendations that would be amazing, also if it has good ergonomics to avoid problems in the future, like carpal tunnel, arthritis, and etc. 

Thanks! 

Linears
MX RED -  Red Stem - Light 45 linear
MX SILENT RED - Pink Stem - Light 45 linear with rubber padding inside the housing to dampen the down and upstroke
MX SPEED - Silver Stem - Kinda Stiff >45 - Slightly heavier mx red with less travel and a shorter actuation distance 
MX BLACK - Black Stem - Heavy 70 Linear Prob worst linear switch scratchy af compared to gateron and vintage mx black 
Cherry MY - Black/White stem with open housing - Heavy ~70 - Linear AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS FEELS LIKE SHITTTT!!!!!

Tactile 
Mx Brown - Shit Coloured Stem - Light 45 - very light tactile and tactility is not very defined IMO, feels like shit
Mx Clear - Clear Coloured Stem - Medium 65 - More tactile than Mx brown, stiffer when bottoming out.  Tactile bump is near the start of the switch fells kinda like a rubber dome but is good for touch typing
Mx Tactile Grey - Lught Grey Coloured Stem - Heavy 80 - Most tactile cherry tactile switch - Best tactile cherry switch imo 

Clicky
Mx Blue - Blue coloured Stem - Medium-light 55 - Very Loud and clicky Most common clicky switch 

Mx Pale Blue - Pale Blue Stem - Heavy ~75 - Rarely found least tactile and loud cherry clicky switch
Mx Dark Blue - Dark Pale Blue Stem - Medium-light 55 - Rare, Smoother feeling to Mx Blue 
Mx White/Milky - White Stem - Heavy 75-80 - Predecessor to Mx Blue Quiter than Mx Blue due to the grease applied to damn the sound - IMO best cherry clicky switch

Mx Green - Dark Green Stem - heavy 80 - Heavier and more tactile than Mx Blue 

Clones:

Gateron - Probably imo, the best Cherry Mx Style "Clones" they feel similar to vintage cherry mx switches (Smoother and less grainy feeling than Modern Mx switches) 
Some of their best switches are:

Gateron Blacks - Smoother version of cherry mx black
Gateron Yellows  - Smoother version of cherry mx red

Gateron/Zeal PC Zealios  - Smoother version of cherry mx brown with more defined and stronger tactility 

Kailh - one of the most common "clones" some of their switches have production quality issues but their new switches are pretty decent
Some of their better ones are:
Kailh x Novel Keys Box Jades - very clicky even more than mx blue and green

Kailh x Novel Keys Box Royals - more tactile than mx brown
Kailh x Novel Keys Box Navy - more tactile and clicky than Mx Green

Alternatives:
Topre - Very nice and smooth feeling capacitive domes, ONLY GOOD IF YOU HAVE A SPARE KIDNEY OR TOO MUCH MONEY

ALPS - Better than Cherry Mx in many ways how ever is no longer produced, and they feel terrible when dirty
Romer G - Kinda like a Mx Clear with the tactility of Mx Brown (Light tactile bump near the start) Also has relatively short travel 

Optical Switches - Flaretech makes some nice optical switches like the ones found the the Wooting keyboard they're contact less switches and feel very smooth, possibly the smoothest switch. 

Do you have any PC stores near you like Microcenter? I feel like trying it out is the best place to start. If you do not have a PC store, you can go to something like best buy and try out some keyboards.

19 minutes ago, whoisit1118 said:

Do you have any PC stores near you like Microcenter? I feel like trying it out is the best place to start. If you do not have a PC store, you can go to something like best buy and try out some keyboards.

Some of the big brand stores like Best Buy don't have a very good selection of mechanical keyboards, usually just some "gamer" keyboards using Cherry Mx or Mx Clones from brands like razer, logitech and corsair. In addition to trying out keyboards at stores, perhaps also try buying switch testers? Individual switches are not a very accurate representation of a keyboard but its still worth it imo, but be sure to get one that is not just with cherry mx as some of the mx clones are of the same or better quality compared to cherry.