Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
1 minute ago, Ottens238 said:

Just to be clear, the Cooler is great but a little bit loud, am I right?

Does it stay around 80 degrees Celsius while probably overclocked to 4.6GHz or higher, during load?

Temps will depend on several factors including how much voltage you'll need for the oc. At worst, it shouldn't be any more than 80-90c at load. 

Dear tech fanatics,

I'm going to build a PC after Black Friday.

This build contains the following parts:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mVWGtg

I'm now wondering if the ML240L can keep the i5 cool enough, I'm going to overclock the CPU pretty hard so good cooling is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If your going to be spending that much on stuff, just get an i7 8700k, or get a ryzen 2700x. i5's are not worth it. You do not need NVME unless you are a Making money doing video editing, Cad Work, or other large file workloads. You are better off getting a much larger Sata based SSD

I also would be careful of that cooler, it does not have a very good tolerance for screw length.

16 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

If your going to be spending that much on stuff, just get an i7 8700k, or get a ryzen 2700x. i5's are not worth it. You do not need NVME unless you are a Making money doing video editing, Cad Work, or other large file workloads. You are better off getting a much larger Sata based SSD

I also would be careful of that cooler, it does not have a very good tolerance for screw length.

I'm not getting an i7, because that's too expensive.

Why are the i5's not worth it?

For the NVME, I like fast boot times and like the system to be very responsible.

What do you mean with the tolerance for screw length?

13 minutes ago, Ottens238 said:

I'm not getting an i7, because that's too expensive.

Why are the i5's not worth it?

For the NVME, I like fast boot times and like the system to be very responsible.

What do you mean with the tolerance for screw length?

NVME does absolutely nothing for boot times, or help your system be responsive if you take 5 minutes to set up your windows properly with a normal sata SSD. If you want to fix that stop all non essential programs at the start of windows. 

I5's are limited in what they can do. They can do one or two tasks great, but besides that you will have a big impact on your system. Its why i say you either go i7, or go ryzen.

10 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

NVME does absolutely nothing for boot times, or help your system be responsive if you take 5 minutes to set up your windows properly with a normal sata SSD. If you want to fix that stop all non essential programs at the start of windows. 

I5's are limited in what they can do. They can do one or two tasks great, but besides that you will have a big impact on your system. Its why i say you either go i7, or go ryzen.

The Ryzen processors are not that great with overclocking, or am I wrong with that?

I like Intel and I'm not an AMD fan.

For my build I'm seriously not gonna include an i7, that's to expensive for my build.

I have a budget is around 1200 dollars so I'm not gonna buy an i7.

4 minutes ago, Ottens238 said:

The Ryzen processors are not that great with overclocking, or am I wrong with that?

I like Intel and I'm not an AMD fan.

For my build I'm seriously not gonna include an i7, that's to expensive for my build.

I have a budget is around 1200 dollars so I'm not gonna buy an i7.

No your not wrong with the overclocking bit. But what are you not so much of a fan of AMD Ryzen chips?

And sure i could understand the expense, but i could easily justify the ryzen 2600 being a 6 core 12 thread that will perform adequately

What exactly will you be doing with this pc? 

Just now, Shimejii said:

No your not wrong with the overclocking bit. But what are you not so much of a fan of AMD Ryzen chips?

And sure i could understand the expense, but i could easily justify the ryzen 2600 being a 6 core 12 thread that will perform adequately

What exactly will you be doing with this pc? 

I want to use the PC for gaming and streaming.

The PC is also gonna be used for video editing and coding.

4 minutes ago, Ottens238 said:

I want to use the PC for gaming and streaming.

The PC is also gonna be used for video editing and coding.

Yeah no that i5 is simply not going to cut it, streaming on a i5 like that is going to be AWFUL, as well as video editing.. Curious to ask how old are you?

6 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Yeah no that i5 is simply not going to cut it, streaming on a i5 like that is going to be AWFUL, as well as video editing.. Curious to ask how old are you?

My friend streams with the i5-8600k with ease.

So I don't know what you're saying right now...

And I'm 17 years old, I'm doing an IT study so I know what I picked...

2 minutes ago, Ottens238 said:

My friend streams with the i5-8600k with ease.

So I don't know what you're saying right now...

And I'm 17 years old, I'm doing an IT study so I know what I picked...

What games are you going to be streaming with? Unless its Dota, LoL, or other games with 200+ fps, your not going to have a good time without adjusting major settings in your streaming service. 

Just because your doing IT study doesnt mean you understand everything that goes along with that. Ive been doing IT for a few years now, unless your doing benchmarks, doing the tests, and comparing how each CPU reacts with certain workloads, you should be learning all you can. Go watch a few GamersNexus videos about proper stream encoding and what happens.

Can you do it with a 8600k? Sure, you can do it. IS it the best option available to you right now? far from it. Ryzen does exceedingly well with streaming and encoding. Also i would heavily reccomend you just play games and get good at them before trying a career out in streaming. It takes about 70 hours of streaming a week just to stay relavent, let alone even gain a following. its a TON of work for not much pay for a few years, i wouldnt reccomend that path. Content creation is a bit different, doing youtube and such.

7 hours ago, Shimejii said:

What games are you going to be streaming with? Unless its Dota, LoL, or other games with 200+ fps, your not going to have a good time without adjusting major settings in your streaming service. 

Just because your doing IT study doesnt mean you understand everything that goes along with that. Ive been doing IT for a few years now, unless your doing benchmarks, doing the tests, and comparing how each CPU reacts with certain workloads, you should be learning all you can. Go watch a few GamersNexus videos about proper stream encoding and what happens.

Can you do it with a 8600k? Sure, you can do it. IS it the best option available to you right now? far from it. Ryzen does exceedingly well with streaming and encoding. Also i would heavily reccomend you just play games and get good at them before trying a career out in streaming. It takes about 70 hours of streaming a week just to stay relavent, let alone even gain a following. its a TON of work for not much pay for a few years, i wouldnt reccomend that path. Content creation is a bit different, doing youtube and such.

I'm just gonna play Overwatch and some other games, but mainly Overwatch.

But coming back to the topic:

Is the ML240L good enough to cool the CPU?

It performs fine but you can get similar performance with a quieter and cheaper cooler like the Mugen 5 Rev. B that'd be more reliable due to lack of a pump and a higher quality fan: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8GBrxr/scythe-mugen-5-rev-b-512-cfm-cpu-cooler-scmg-5100

The aftermarket thermal paste is unnecessary since the cooler comes with decent paste already.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It performs fine but you can get similar performance with a quieter and cheaper cooler like the Mugen 5 Rev. B that'd be more reliable due to lack of a pump and a higher quality fan: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8GBrxr/scythe-mugen-5-rev-b-512-cfm-cpu-cooler-scmg-5100

The aftermarket thermal paste is unnecessary since the cooler comes with decent paste already.

Before the watercooler I was looking for the Dark Rock 4.

And the problem that would probably be that the RAM was going to interfere with the cooler.

(And a tower doesn't look that great if you want to setup a RGB light show ^^)

29 minutes ago, Ottens238 said:

Before the watercooler I was looking for the Dark Rock 4.

And the problem that would probably be that the RAM was going to interfere with the cooler.

(And a tower doesn't look that great if you want to setup a RGB light show ^^)

If it's aesthetics you're after, it's up to you what looks good. The Mugen 5 Rev. B completely clears the ram. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

32 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

If it's aesthetics you're after, it's up to you what looks good. The Mugen 5 Rev. B completely clears the ram. 

Does it stay around 80 degrees Celsius while probably overclocked to 4.6GHz or higher, during load?

1 minute ago, Ottens238 said:

Temps will depend on several factors including how much voltage you'll need for the oc. At worst, it shouldn't be any more than 80-90c at load.