Artifacting immediately following CPU upgrade?

PThunder84

Replaced my 5820k with a 5960x after getting a great deal on the chip. Immediately following the CPU swap, I began experiencing artifacting as picture below. I have used DDU to uninstall and reinstall drivers multiple times now to no avail. Underclocking in afterburner also doesn't do anything. The strange thing is that I only see artifacting in certain places like the splash screen of BDO listed below. I've also noticed it in the Discord window and for video adds like in the Blizzard launcher. Once in a game, however, there is not artifacting to be seen (I have tested ~30 games now). The card is still under warranty so I've already began the RMA process, but does anyone have any ideas on this? I've never seen instance specific artifacting like this occur before.

i7 5960x

EVGA GTX 1080 ti FE

32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz

GA-X99-UD4

EVGA 1000 GQ 80+ Gold 1000W PSU

artifacts.png

Try changing PCIe slots. There's also the possibility that your socket has a bent pin.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

Try changing PCIe slots. There's also the possibility that your socket has a bent pin.

and if that doent work swap the cpu back to see if that was the issue or re-socket it as it may be a bad mount causing it to not talk to the cpu correctly or you could have bumped it or shocked it when you installed the new cpu. wat gpu is it btw and how long have you had it and how often if the computer on and used. maybe it just failed with age and it just happened to have come around when you changed cpu

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

Bent cpu socket pin or pcie slot pins? I don't see any bent pins in the pcie slot, but I can remount in a different slot. I also ran IPDT which threw no errors for the CPU, so I think everything should be okay there?

12 minutes ago, PThunder84 said:

Bent cpu socket pin or pcie slot pins? I don't see any bent pins in the pcie slot, but I can remount in a different slot. I also ran IPDT which threw no errors for the CPU, so I think everything should be okay there?

I meant CPU socket. The way expansion slots and RAM slots function depens greatly on the physical state of the socket. Could also be a defective PCIe slot, of course.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

I meant CPU socket. The way expansion slots and RAM slots function depens greatly on the physical state of the socket. Could also be a defective PCIe slot, of course.

I looked pretty closely, and didn't notice any bent pins. Also would a bent pin, cause application specific artifacting like that? After playing around some more, it's like the artifacting only occurs in pre-rendered footage for games and not in the games themselves. It also happens with youtube videos but only on firefox and not Edge or Chrome (tried disabling hardware accelerations and a few other fixes). I swapped the GPU between 3 of 4 PCIe slots and it performed the same in each (other than swapping between 8x and 16x). I also tried using different 6 and 8 pin connectors from the PSU. I haven't swapped back in the 5820k, but I find it pretty unlinkey that is the issue at this point. I already have the shipping labels printed out, so we'll see what happens after the RMA. I've seen quite a few GPU issues over the years, but this one seems very strange to me....