What should i buy between a Ryzen 7 cpu or a Intel core i7 cpu for a CAD design workstation?

Ayrton Piuza

Hey guys. This is my first topic posted in the forums.

So heres the thing... I just requested a quotation for a CAD Workstation and it had a core i7 cpu in the build, but the company i am buying it from said that the core i7 are out of stock for this year and they could give me a Ryzen 7 instead.

I have never used AMD Ryzen processors and so i would like to know what would be best for a CAD workstation between a ryzen 7 or i7.

Also i see a lot of people just getting general gaming gpu builds because QUADRO cards are quite expsensive and i would like to undestand how much of a difference does it make if i get a 1060 3GB OC edition instead?

I hope i was explicit enough.

Budget? What i7 was it?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Quadro cards are not meant for gaming, but that doesn't mean you can't game on them tho. Same for GTX cards.
For CAD systems I advise getting Intel, as CAD and games generally work better on them. They don't scale with 8 core CPU's that good yet, and I don't see them doing it in the near future.

i7 8700K would be more than enough for your needs. If you want to take GTX 1060, better go with the 6GB variant, not the 3GB.

19 minutes ago, voiha said:

Quadro cards are not meant for gaming, but that doesn't mean you can't game on them tho. Same for GTX cards.

Do you mean the other way around, as in GTX cards are means for gaming but can 3D model?

Ryzen will be great for 3D models. If you render complex things in blender, turn on cuda acceleration and the core count of the ryzen CPU along with the graphics card will help you a lot.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

8 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Do you mean the other way around, as in GTX cards are means for gaming but can 3D model?

Ryzen will be great for 3D models. If you render complex things in blender, turn on cuda acceleration and the core count of the ryzen CPU along with the graphics card will help you a lot.

Quadros and GTX cards are basically the same cards. The difference comes in software, there are some specific features that only Quadro cards support in professional applications. But this is very application dependant, a lot of applications can do just fine without these. Quadro drivers also go through a lot more testing but how much this affects normal usage is arguable. Quadro cards can basically game just as well as Geforce cards, just look at the clock speed, architecture and cuda count, that determines how fast the card can game.

Devices:

Desktop(s): Main Rig | CPU: R7 1700x, Ram: 16GB, GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

Server(s): My Server 

Laptop(s): Macbook Pro 13" (2015) 

Phone(s): iPhone SE (64GB), Nokia Lumia 925 

What software will you be working with? For example Autodesk Inventor uses only single core for most tasks expect for rendering (it fully utilities CPU). 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

2 minutes ago, aakopa said:

Quadros and GTX cards are basically the same cards. The difference comes in software, there are some specific features that only Quadro cards support in professional applications. But this is very application dependant, a lot of applications can do just fine without these. Quadro drivers also go through a lot more testing but how much this affects normal usage is arguable. Quadro cards can basically game just as well as Geforce cards, just look at the clock speed, architecture and cuda count, that determines how fast the card can game.

I know. It depends more heavily on the program being used to 3D model.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad