I have a 10 year old power supply

Ambious

About 10 years ago or so I bought what was at the time a top of the line computer. I don't remember the exact specs, but it had a top of the line Core2Duo CPU, an nVidia nForce chipset wielding motherboard (which sucked so bad I had to eventually replace it with an Intel chipset motherboard), two 8800GTs in SLI (one of which I sold after I replaced the motherboard since at the time Intel chipsets didn't support SLI), and a whopping 850W Antec TruePower Quattro power supply.

Over the years as I upgraded my gear, the PSU was always waaay over what I needed, what with having one GPU less than originally intended and with power demands dropping significantly over the years. So... way understressed and well cleaned, it carried over to my next (and current) build, and, well, as I'm not  considering another major upgrade - I'm thinking.... Should I replace it?

It's still working well, it's still probably way overpowered for the build I'm planning (i9-9900k, and maybe an RTX2080 down the road).

I mean it's probably gonna croak sooner or later, but if it's still going .... ? 

What do you guys think? And what's the longest stretch of time you've ever managed to take a single hardware element through?

There's more to a PSU than just the wattage.

Using any 10 year old PSU is a bad idea. Looking at the output, it's group regulated, meaning it's unsuitable for modern components. 

:)

Probably best to replace it with something 80+ certified if you're planning on going with a 9900k and 2080

'IM THE VIDEO GAME BOY, IM THE ONE WHO WINS' - Arin Hanson

Yeah I figured there's probably something. Time to go full modular I guess.

Thanks!

The one I am using, Corsair AX760i, works really well and can be picked up relatively cheap. 80 plus platinum certified too!

CPU Intel Core i7-4770k @ 3.50GHz Motherboard ASUSTeK Z87-DELUXE RAM 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1333MHz 

GPU Nvidia GTX 770 Case Fractal Design R4 Storage Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB & Western Digital 2TB HDD

PSU Corsair AX760i Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Naga Operating System Windows 10 Pro 64bit

1 hour ago, FunkmastaFlex said:

Probably best to replace it with something 80+ certified if you're planning on going with a 9900k and 2080

80+ doesn't mean it's good quality

53 minutes ago, hestolemydog said:

The one I am using, Corsair AX760i, works really well and can be picked up relatively cheap. 80 plus platinum certified too!

very good psu indeed but 760w is a little bit too much

22 minutes ago, Ambious said:

About 10 years ago or so I bought what was at the time a top of the line computer. (...) 

and a whopping 850W Antec TruePower Quattro power supply.

Yeah, its a nice PSU - for 10 Year old Components. Some people might want to pay good money for it, if you advertize it correctly

Should I replace it?

Yes, because its old and things change. The situation back in 2008 was completely different, the powersaving mechanisms 

It's still working well,

Wrong

you think its working well. But you don't know. You can't know as you have no way of knowing (=measuring) if the PSU is actually good for your PC or not.

Nobody does except some manufacturers...

it's still probably way overpowered for the build I'm planning (i9-9900k, and maybe an RTX2080 down the road).

I mean it's probably gonna croak sooner or later, but if it's still going .... ? 

What do you guys think? And what's the longest stretch of time you've ever managed to take a single hardware element through?

I don't get why people go and buy stuff from certain companys without any real knowledge about the stuff, without it being out a week or two...

While with other companys people tend to wait "for the other side". I really don't get it.

Its not as if the 9900K is that great that its worth the extra 300 Bucks MSRP...

16 minutes ago, FunkmastaFlex said:

The True Power Quattro is already 80plus certified:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=58

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

54 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

very good psu indeed but 760w is a little bit too much

With a 2080 and a 9900K you can think about the 750W region...

The CPU is that bad in terms of power consumption. Some measured 260W for the CPU...

And the 2080 isn't that efficient either.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

With a 2080 and a 9900K you can think about the 750W region...

The CPU is that bad in terms of power consumption. Some measured 260W for the CPU...

And the 2080 isn't that efficient either.

Yeah I know the 9900K does in fact draw much power but not to the point where you need 750W

I still don't get how do you do the math for PSU power draw so fast

6 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Wrong

you think its working well. But you don't know. You can't know as you have no way of knowing (=measuring) if the PSU is actually good for your PC or not.

Nobody does except some manufacturers...

Good to know. It's why I started this thread - I figured there was something I wasn't picking up on.

I don't get why people go and buy stuff from certain companys without any real knowledge about the stuff, without it being out a week or two...

While with other companys people tend to wait "for the other side". I really don't get it.

Its not as if the 9900K is that great that its worth the extra 300 Bucks MSRP...

Well I work at Intel so I can get it for a really good price.

The True Power Quattro is already 80plus certified:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=58

I'll take a look, thanks! :-)