Upgrade CPU or RAM

Go to solution Solved by Boomwebsearch,
16 minutes ago, xItz_Rewind said:

If I can only upgrade on right now which part should I upgrade. My next upgrade would be in jun-july 2019 after this one.

I would probably say that the processor should be upgraded first as the one on eBay which I have linked is $32.99 USD and that it being sold at a rate of around 5 per hour, you would most likely pay more if you buy in next year's June or July as this offer would have very likely ended. The processor is going to be more important to upgrade for actual computational performance in games and  going to the Ryzen 5 2600X would definitely cause a significantly noticeable increase in game performance. If you want more RAM resources for like running many programs and applications at the same time then maybe adding more RAM could be better for you (although for gaming, the processor change to the 2600X is going to show a greater performance bump up than your current configuration).

Hey guys,

So far iv been getting a consistent 60 fps in games however with the most recent betas in games like battlefield 5 and call of duty black ops 4 iv had to drop all my setting to low and im still struggling to get a consistent 60fps.

This is my build:

ryzen 3 1200 oc 3.7ghz

1060 6gb

8gb single channel memory 2400mhz

msi b350 mortar motherboard

550w psu

I really wanna play the coming battlefield game at 60 plus fps and I was getting around 45 in the beta at the lowest possible settings. I was wondering if I needed an upgrade.

Should I:

Upgrade my CPU to the Ryzen 5 2600 and keep the single channel ram 

or

Upgrade to dual channel ram and wait till the launch of zen 2 Ryzen third generation in 2019.

Ram you will see the most from that get another 8 gb stick. Each gen gives about 5-10% performance increase, but RAM gives a big jump especially for single to dual channel

Just now, barondeau said:

Ram you will see the most from that get another 8 gb stick

Will I be able to crank up the setting or will I still have to play on low but get 60 fps. From benchmarks of the 2600 people are getting around 70 fps on ultra with a single stick.

One 8 gb stick will give you a performance boost, while still leaving the socket open to being upgraded later

Battlefield loves cores and threads. Getting dual channel ram and a ryzen 5 will help a lot.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

22 minutes ago, barondeau said:

One 8 gb stick will give you a performance boost, while still leaving the socket open to being upgraded later

ok thnx I think I will upgrade the ram right now and wait for a better deal on the processor

15 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Battlefield loves cores and threads. Getting dual channel ram and a ryzen 5 will help a lot.

Thats the problem man I unfortunately cant get both so I have to choose which one would you recommend

I would upgrade your RAM, a game as strenuous as BF would definately need more than 8GB. Try upgrading to at least 16GB

PC SPECS: i7 - 3820, 32GB GSkill DDR3 RAM, 2TB Seagate Hybrid Drive, Intel 240GB SSD, Corsair Spec Omega Case, Strix GTX 1060 6GB, Corsair H150i Pro RGB, Corsair CX850M PSU

Just now, Eliptic said:

I would upgrade your RAM, a game as strenuous as BF would definately need more than 8GB. Try upgrading to at least 16GB

Will it give me better performance than a cpu upgrade?

2 minutes ago, barondeau said:

6 minutes ago, barondeau said:

Ram you will see the most from that get another 8 gb stick. Each gen gives about 5-10% performance increase, but RAM gives a big jump especially for single to dual channel

Sometimes it is better to stick with the same generation and get more RAM as that would be the most cost effective if you just want/need more system memory resources. Although if you want more quick RAM then changing generations may be worth it. Although, I would suggest just sticking with the same type and generation of RAM that is currently in your system and getting more of it (example would be like adding another 8 GB) as it would allow for the system have a greater ability to run more programs and tasks at the same time. Looking for memory sticks and processors which are used or discounted and are better than the one you are currently running would likely improve the performance per dollar of your system.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

1 minute ago, xItz_Rewind said:

Thats the problem man I unfortunately cant get both so I have to choose which one would you recommend

CPU upgrade first will help more than ram, especially since ryzen 3 doesn't need to worry about infinity fabric

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

The AM4 socket is not going anywhere, just because you purchase another stick of ram doesnt mean you can't upgrade to a ryzen 5 in the future. AMD is going to be using that socket for a while, as DDR4 isn't going anywhere either, but the processors will continue to get better

1 minute ago, xItz_Rewind said:

Will it give me better performance than a cpu upgrade?

This is really dependent on the applications which you are going to run on it, I would not recommend building a system optimized for a specific game as if you decide to run different tittles or applications later then you are going to have to upgrade your hardware configuration again and this would not be the most optimized way to have a system for running general tasks. Although, some have dedicated systems for different tasks such as one for gaming and another one for streaming. In the end, I would select one that can give you the most performance per dollar that you can get with your budget (with an upgrade or platform adjustment). Many sites allow you to see estimated performance results in general applications tests and that would help with calculating a system with the best performance per cost as you can have within the limitations of your budget.

@Boomwebsearch 

10 minutes ago, barondeau said:

The AM4 socket is not going anywhere, just because you purchase another stick of ram doesnt mean you can't upgrade to a ryzen 5 in the future

Thats true I remember reading AMD is going to support am4 for a long time. Will another 8gb ram give me enough performance boost to last me until jun-july 2019

8 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

This is really dependent on the applications which you are going to run on it, I would not recommend building a system optimized for a specific game as if you decide to run different tittles or applications later then you are going to have to upgrade your hardware configuration again and this would not be the most optimized way to have a system for running general tasks. Although, some have dedicated systems for different tasks such as one for gaming and another one for streaming. In the end, I would select one that can give you the most performance per dollar that you can get with your budget (with an upgrade or platform adjustment). Many sites allow you to see estimated performance results in general applications tests and that would help with calculating a system with the best performance per cost as you can have within the limitations of your budget.

I would mainly like to play some more demanding games now since I have been sticking to light games for years now as I was an original console gamer. I have only been playing games like fortnite and overwatch where I get respectable frames. However I would like to play games as black ops 4 battlefield 5 and many other mid- high end games on at least medium-high if not ultra settings.

12 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

CPU upgrade first will help more than ram, especially since ryzen 3 doesn't need to worry about infinity fabric

I thought all ryzen processors had infinity fabric

Just now, xItz_Rewind said:

I would mainly like to play some more demanding games now since I have been sticking to light games for years now as I was an original console gamer. I have only been playing games like fortnite and overwatch where I get respectable frames. However I would like to play games as black ops 4 battlefield 5 and many other mid- high end games on at least medium-high if not ultra settings.

Could you run a benchmark of your current system using a tool such as Nova Bench (https://novabench.com/) and post the performance numbers which you get in result as that would allow for us to see how well your system is performing currently, notice potential bottlenecks, and suggest what component should be upgraded in order to improve your benchmark results? Degradation, software changes, slight hardware variation, etc can effect the performance from system so that is why using benchmark test numbers would be a accurate method of seeing your current system performance and calculating what component is to be upgraded to improve the system's performance is areas such as graphics processing, central processing, disk speeds (not going to really help for games except for loading times), ram resources allocation, etc which some may need to be upgraded more so than others to get better results.

@Boomwebsearch 

Just now, Boomwebsearch said:

Could you run a benchmark of your current system using a tool such as Nova Bench (https://novabench.com/) and post the performance numbers which you get in result as that would allow for us to see how well your system is performing currently, notice potential bottlenecks, and suggest what component should be upgraded in order to improve your benchmark results? Degradation, software changes, slight hardware variation, etc can effect the performance from system so that is why using benchmark test numbers would be a accurate method of seeing your current system performance and calculating what component is to be upgraded to improve the system's performance is areas such as graphics processing, central processing, disk speeds (not going to really help for games except for loading times), ram resources allocation, etc which some may need to be upgraded more so than others to get better results.

Ok give me 5 mins ill run the benchmark and brb

21 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Ok here are the test results

Capture.JPG

406896834_Capture2.JPG.32fe5d2bf70a74b4dbddb67e7dca70d8.JPG

22 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

is this the expected performance?

Just now, xItz_Rewind said:

is this the expected performance?

These performance numbers look to being on par with the standards for these components. So, I think that other factors such as heat and dust are not effecting performance much at all. The RAM speed seems to be very good actually. In this case, I believe that the upgrade of the RAM to a newer generation does not seem to being the best value although I think that upgrading the amount of RAM would be beneficial to your system. With the rising costs of RAM I usually buy from sites like eBay or AliExpress which offer discount memory. I did not have any problems with using used memory from eBay although your mileage may vary since not every used RAM memory module is the same and some could be put under heavy workloads and not kept cool. And the GPU seems to be ahead of the performance match for the processor within your system slightly. In conclusion, I would recommend upgrading the amount of RAM in your system maybe add another 4GB or 8GB and changing the processor to a slightly faster one on the same socket type would usually be the most cost effective. An upgrade to the Ryzen 5 2600 or even better would be a Ryzen 5 2600X coming new from China (would mean a delay in shipping) although should give a better cost effective than buying at retail value (https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600X-6-Core-3-6GHz-Socket-AM4-95W-YD260XBCAFBOX-Desktop-CPU/192696677350?hash=item2cdd9df3e6:g:wDQAAOSw6-NbzEUo:rk:1:pf:0&LH_BIN=1).

@Boomwebsearch 

17 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

These performance numbers look to being on par with the standards for these components. So, I think that other factors such as heat and dust are not effecting performance much at all. The RAM speed seems to be very good actually. In this case, I believe that the upgrade of the RAM to a newer generation does not seem to being the best value although I think that upgrading the amount of RAM would be beneficial to your system. With the rising costs of RAM I usually buy from sites like eBay or AliExpress which offer discount memory. I did not have any problems with using used memory from eBay although your mileage may vary since not every used RAM memory module is the same and some could be put under heavy workloads and not kept cool. And the GPU seems to be ahead of the performance match for the processor within your system slightly. In conclusion, I would recommend upgrading the amount of RAM in your system maybe add another 4GB or 8GB and changing the processor to a slightly faster one on the same socket type would usually be the most cost effective. An upgrade to the Ryzen 5 2600 or even better would be a Ryzen 5 2600X coming new from China (would mean a delay in shipping) although should give a better cost effective than buying at retail value (https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600X-6-Core-3-6GHz-Socket-AM4-95W-YD260XBCAFBOX-Desktop-CPU/192696677350?hash=item2cdd9df3e6:g:wDQAAOSw6-NbzEUo:rk:1:pf:0&LH_BIN=1).

If I can only upgrade on right now which part should I upgrade. My next upgrade would be in jun-july 2019 after this one.

16 minutes ago, xItz_Rewind said:

I would probably say that the processor should be upgraded first as the one on eBay which I have linked is $32.99 USD and that it being sold at a rate of around 5 per hour, you would most likely pay more if you buy in next year's June or July as this offer would have very likely ended. The processor is going to be more important to upgrade for actual computational performance in games and  going to the Ryzen 5 2600X would definitely cause a significantly noticeable increase in game performance. If you want more RAM resources for like running many programs and applications at the same time then maybe adding more RAM could be better for you (although for gaming, the processor change to the 2600X is going to show a greater performance bump up than your current configuration).

@Boomwebsearch 

Upgrade your r3 to a r5 (hexa core!!!) the extra cores will help in games like battlefield!

28 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

I will definitely upgrade the processor then. Unfortunately I live in India so I cant but that processor on ebay and everything here is overpriced as hell. Anyways thnx for the help.

26 minutes ago, Wockinine said:

Upgrade your r3 to a r5 (hexa core!!!) the extra cores will help in games like battlefield!

thnx I definitely will